Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:15 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

hnsq,

i think it is great what you did. i sit on the computer as a moderator and it takes too long, so i got a new computer but it is slow with this virus protection it has, but i am getting dsl as soon as i can contant the company. most of my time is taken up in getting from one web page to another. i think that computers and tv have a lot to do with people gaining weight, but then so does reading. ha. my problem is my age and a 10 lb weight gain, so i need to eat less bread and sugars, which i am trying to do now. but then the doctor says i have thyroid problems like my sister, and fear has set in. last year i was 10 lbs lighter. i certainly need to walk, and so i try to do this with my dog but it is so boring. when i lived in berkeley many years ago i walked everywhere because i didn't own a car. i gained 5 lbs as soon as i got one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Default Conscious choice IS the secret!

hssq wrote:
The point isn't what I gave up to get in shape, the point is you have to make a conscious choice to make a lifestyle change. Now that I am in shape, I have a computer and everything, but I would much rather be outside doing something active than sitting on my computer for hours.
the point is you have to make a conscious choice to make a lifestyle change.

This IS the secret folks! This guy knows what he's talking about. He has been there, done that....he knows. Listen to him. Follow his lead. I imagine that he would say: If I can do it...you can too!

blessings....Franco

Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 PM

292 posts, read 993,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I guess I should have been more specific. I sold my computer two years ago, once I was in shape (able to run a half marathon) I got a new one. After years without one though, you really don't use it all that much. As for the TV, I didn't think someone would take me literally. I never said I sold my TV, I said I canceled cable. I watch the news before I go to work in the morning (which I ride by bike to - 15 miles a day), but that is about it.

The point isn't what I gave up to get in shape, the point is you have to make a conscious choice to make a lifestyle change. Now that I am in shape, I have a computer and everything, but I would much rather be outside doing something active than sitting on my computer for hours.
Thanks for clarifying. Although I was sorta hoping for an affirmitive on the Blackberry.

Keep at it. You know the old adage, "Once you stop moving, you start rusting."

Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Obesity in the news...again.

Here is a short article on obesity being linked to a common virus:

Study links obesity to a common virus

Old 08-21-2007, 01:32 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
hssq wrote:
the point is you have to make a conscious choice to make a lifestyle change.

This IS the secret folks! This guy knows what he's talking about. He has been there, done that....he knows. Listen to him. Follow his lead. I imagine that he would say: If I can do it...you can too!

blessings....Franco

Thanks for the info. Walking is definitely a big plus of living in a city...When I lived in Boston I walked everywhere, Its like NY, you dont need a car. Nice post above about Berkeley- I would probably love a walkable city like that.

When I first saw the cardio Life cycle class- I was like I could never do that- then last week I did 40 miles- It is a matter of changing your whole outlook!

sunny

Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 AM

217 posts, read 878,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Thanks for the info. Walking is definitely a big plus of living in a city...When I lived in Boston I walked everywhere, Its like NY, you dont need a car. Nice post above about Berkeley- I would probably love a walkable city like that.

When I first saw the cardio Life cycle class- I was like I could never do that- then last week I did 40 miles- It is a matter of changing your whole outlook!

sunny
Something I noticed is that when I visit NYC, I do not see many overweight people. Maybe one reason is because NYC is such a walking city, and walking burns calories!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Walking is the simplest, most natural exercise going. You just do it, not even thinking of it as exercises. It's also a great way to get from point A to point B. If we walked more as a nation we could significantly cut our dependence on foreign oil and prescription drugs, & lower our health ( sick ) care costs.

blessings....Franco

Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
Something I noticed is that when I visit NYC, I do not see many overweight people. Maybe one reason is because NYC is such a walking city, and walking burns calories!
If you live/work in the city walking is about the only sensible way to get around. Also, there is such a mad rush for everything and anything, that you not only walk but you speed walk!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:07 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
Until I moved to TN I had always lived in areas with a high concentration of phisically fit people so I guess I never really noticed obese people till I got here. I guess my idea of Obese is when you can't push your grocery cart past them in a grocery store isle, or the ones that have the red mark on their stomach from the steering wheel rub.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 AM

660 posts, read 2,440,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am curious because where I live now, I see 20 year olds that look to be 270 lbs., yet they wear halter tops with everything showing- how strange -

I am just wondering what everyone else thinks- post what you would consider a problem weight. Thanks for any ideas....

sunny
i would say fat is when you have a huge stomach flopping over the waist of your pants
obese would be when you take up more then 2 seats and you cant fit out the door of a room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss