Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,027,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Huh? You can eat fresh fruit (after Induction, low glycemic fruits) and most veggies on Atkins.
The book I had frowned on fruits and veggies. But it may have been the fact that I like to eat lots of each every day and I went over the limit. The later edition books I have seen weren't as restrictive. For me, I would rather eat a variety of foods, just healthy portions. Atkins was too restrictive (for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
The book I had frowned on fruits and veggies. But it may have been the fact that I like to eat lots of each every day and I went over the limit. The later edition books I have seen weren't as restrictive. For me, I would rather eat a variety of foods, just healthy portions. Atkins was too restrictive (for me).

It didn't frown on fruits and veggies. You just had a net carb limit. Atkins done properly has a lot of low carb veggies and a little low carb fruit. South beach is more liberal with that. But even so, part of atkins was finding your own carb level your body would tolerate. It noted that everyone usually is a bit different.
Induction of atkins is very restrictive though but you should only do that for 2 weeks unless you are under a doctors care.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why don't you try eating less and moving more, instead of a fad diet that didn't work for you in the past?
Why don't you stick to the topic and answer the OP's question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Agree on the moving more but what's great about Atkins is you don't really feel like you're eating less. Atkins meals tend to stick with you longer so you're not really hungry at non-meal times.
Bingo. The protein, fiber from veggies, fat and water all help to keep you satisfied. There's amazing variety in what you can do with the low-carb WOL as well.

Quote:
Eat less, move more is NOT a diet..it's a lifestyle.
So is low-carbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
The book I had frowned on fruits and veggies.
No. It frowns on excessive carbohydrate consumption. How you consume those allowed carbs is up to you. You can eat plenty of veggies and some fruit if you do it right.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Oh, Im sorry Ohiogirl, did I hit a nerve?
Bad advice does that to me.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,040,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, I know! I get so tired of seeing ppl push these fad diets that just don't work. Eat less, move more..works everytime!!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,094 times
Quote:

Like it or not, dieting does not work. However, eating less and moving more does. Once you understand that concept, you'll be able to get your life and weight under control.

Its more than just less. If you eat an overly high carb diet its just not healthy for you at any weight. Low carb diets are on the lower end and ideal for people who have weight problems where they take a long time to shift pounds. But atkins is not a diet. Its just a different way of eating that people label as a diet.
You could say eating less and moving more is a diet. But really both those options are just steps towards changing your intake to something different than what is usually done.

I didnt stick with the low carb but it became useful in my daily eating. If I feel bloated I go low carb for a day or two. If I overate carbs I have a bunch of meals in my head to balance that out at the end of the week.

You will get your weight under control when you can overcome all habits that make you fat or keep you fat. For me, when I started atkins because the problem was slow loss and it discouraged me. Atkins took me to a body that was in the healthy range. But at that lower weight, it was not working anymore. So I had to add back in carbs. I couldnt go back to the pre atkins old way of eating so I had to combine what I knew about atkins with south beach, and general nutrition. I was reading these things while atkins started to become a chore/problem. But I probably would of given up on trying to lose if I didn't get that atkins loss.

I just think you should always try to move forward. If you try a "diet" and it fails ask yourself why. Don't blame the diet. Blame yourself.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,809,512 times
Quote:

Like it or not, dieting does not work. However, eating less and moving more does. Once you understand that concept, you'll be able to get your life and weight under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Rudeness is what hits a nerve with me. Kim, if you don't agree with the weight loss method that works for so many people, there is certainly a more diplomatic way to say it. The Atkins diet isn't for me either but I'm not going to come on here and imply that the people it does work for are stupid b/c that's obviously not the case. Anyway, while you are certainly correct that weight loss means to move more and eat less, many of us would like more specific guidelines on how to do that and carbs really do get a lot of people, including myself, into trouble.

I learned a great deal about how carbs and sugars affect your body from reading Dr. Atkins books, and I learned that fat is not the demon we made it out to be during the years that the general population collectively gained 30 lbs. each.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
The Atkins Diet IS a diet. It's a very specific diet, not to be confused with a non-specific "just eat less and move more" diet, or "I'm a vegetarian" diet or "mas protein, por favor" diet.

Atkins is a strict regimented diet that has specific phases, and is -intended- to be followed by buying and reading and adhering to the contents of a book, aptly named "The Atkins Diet" (with sub-heading).

If it were just a matter of eating less and moving more, the book wouldn't need to exist.

NOW HAVING SAID THAT:

The Atkins diet, when followed as recommended, provides the opportunity for the dieter to eat well, getting enough of the nutrition they need, without feeling overly hungry for any particular length of time. It also comes with a method of gradually increasing the food options, until you're at the point where you -can- eat pretty much anything you want - in limited portions, and in balanced proportions.

It is one method of teaching people how to eat appropriately.

It isn't the only method. It doesn't work for everyone, because some people will not LIKE eating the types of foods they encourage you to eat, in favor of other foods that they might prefer. It is not a fad diet. Atkins has been around long enough and has been modified by its parent company such that it adheres to nutritional balance needs without sacrificing - well - anything really. You -can- have carbs on Atkins. You just have to be cautious about the portions. You -can- have fats, and dairy, and meat, and dessert, and spaghetti, and pancakes. There's nothing "fad" about it, other than the fact that it's popular, it's a quicker weight loss method than Weight Watchers, and many people who use Atkins tend to get burned out on it eventually and ultimately gain weight back. But that's not the fault of the diet. It's a diet. It's not supposed to be a forever thing.

The person on the diet is supposed to learn portion contol and PROportion control, while using this diet. If they fail to learn it, then it's their own fault if they can't maintain.

But no, it's not a fad. It IS a diet. It isn't one I'd want to be on, because I find my own way of slow loss is suited to my personal lifestyle, and I don't like the regimented dieting routine.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,082,104 times
Quote:
I always laugh when I see these posts. Generally speaking, diets aim to achieve weight loss by calorie deficit either directly or indirectly, so when you advocate eating less and moving more then you are essentially telling people that diets work when combined with exercise.

Sounds logical to me.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
Eating less............um..........how much less. That type of DIET makes me so irritable..........I mean "hunting humans" irritable...........does not work for me.

I can eat 2000 calories a day on a high fat/low carb diet and start seeing myself cut-up in a weeks time.....much better for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss