Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Wow I just hope no one tries to eat the way MY great-grandparents and earlier generations ate before all the processed crap appeared on the shelves. Typical dinner with great-grandparents:

Brisket tsimmis (brisket, sweet pototoes, prunes, white potatoes, carrots, and I think parsnip, all stewed and eaten on a big huge plate).

Lettuce with corn oil and white vinegar.

Corn, in season.

Big huge chunks of peasant bread soaked in lard (they kept kosher - no butter at the table when meat is served).

A few glasses of Maneschewitz concord grape wine.

For dessert, a fist-sized chunk of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

Great grandfather keeled over one night at the ripe old age of 49, of a heart attack. Great grandmother followed shortly after, from a massive stroke.

Clogged arteries FTW. But nah, it couldn't have had anything to do with the ridiculously unhealthy food these people ate long before the advent of frozen dinners.
Perhaps I was projecting from my ancestry, which was culturally quite different from yours. I doubt mine had ever even heard of many of the things yours ate. Mine pretty much ate whatever they or their neighbors raised or grew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
Quote:
Wow I just hope no one tries to eat the way MY great-grandparents and earlier generations ate before all the processed crap appeared on the shelves. Typical dinner with great-grandparents:

Brisket tsimmis (brisket, sweet pototoes, prunes, white potatoes, carrots, and I think parsnip, all stewed and eaten on a big huge plate).

Lettuce with corn oil and white vinegar.

Corn, in season.

Big huge chunks of peasant bread soaked in lard (they kept kosher - no butter at the table when meat is served).

A few glasses of Maneschewitz concord grape wine.

For dessert, a fist-sized chunk of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

Great grandfather keeled over one night at the ripe old age of 49, of a heart attack. Great grandmother followed shortly after, from a massive stroke.

Clogged arteries FTW. But nah, it couldn't have had anything to do with the ridiculously unhealthy food these people ate long before the advent of frozen dinners.
Gawd that sounds delicious though. One thing I'm confused about--lard belongs on a kosher table?

Anyway, that sounds like a high carb and a high fat meal--maybe you can do one or the other but not both? And my g-ma ate similarly all of her life and had a weight problem all her life and just passed away last January at 94 from breast cancer. Well she never drank the wine but maybe she would have lived longer if she did b/c new research says drinkers live longer than non-drinkers.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Ah hm..I was trying to think of the english name for what is used as a non-butter fat spread. In yiddish it's called schmalz. It translates into lard, in English. But it's usually rendered chicken fat. You're right, what you know as lard IS pork fat. Which - jews who keep kosher wouldn't have in their homes.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Ah hm..I was trying to think of the english name for what is used as a non-butter fat spread. In yiddish it's called schmalz. It translates into lard, in English. But it's usually rendered chicken fat. You're right, what you know as lard IS pork fat. Which - jews who keep kosher wouldn't have in their homes.
Perhaps genetics and lack of exercise played a part?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
You all do not need to lecture me about "dieting", because I've been on all of them and I know they all work until you go off of them.
I am back on this one because I already do not eat junk food or many sweets, yet I fail to lose the extra weight I carry around right now. I want a fast healthful fix. Then I'll worry about how to keep it off. I am battling knee issues right now, so running around the block a few more times is not an option.
I see the Atkins diet book has been revamped by some new doctors, so I thought it would be a good way to lose the pot, and get back to square one, weightwise.
The diet seems more doable now that vegetables are not as restricted.

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-05-2011 at 08:49 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps genetics and lack of exercise played a part?
If they didn't exercise, then yeah it would play a part. But they did, so it didn't. If we were to attribute genetics to an early death of a bad eater, then we'd have to assume my own father died young as the result of genetics. However, he's 78, and very much alive. And his sister is 95 and very much alive. She eats like a bird. He eats proportionately unhealthy (too many saturated fats, too many simple carbs), but he doesn't eat big portions.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's hard but necessary to shirk decades of folk wisdom. You're basically going back to the way your great grandparents and earlier generations ate before all this processed crap appeared on the shelves. Hope you like eggs as they're God's gift to low carbers.
LOL, then I should go on the coffee, swedish pastries and cigarettes diet, because all my ancestors were tall skinny Swedes.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,456,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You all do not need to lecture me about "dieting", because I've been on all of them and I know they all work until you go off of them.
I am back on this one because I already do not eat junk food or many sweets, yet I fail to lose the extra weight I carry around right now. I want a fast healthful fix. Then I'll worry about how to keep it off. I am battling knee issues right now, so running around the block a few more times is not an option.
I see the Atkins diet book has been revamped by some new doctors, so I thought it would be a good way to lose the pot, and get back to square one, weightwise.
Regarding the book, I wouldn't bother with the 2010 edition. After Dr. Atkins died, the folks at Atkins nutritionals decided to tweak the diet so they could include all of their products. I've seen a lot of people recommend the 2002 edition. I have the 1992 edition myself.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
1. maintaining a -healthy- weight is not just "not eat junk food or many sweets." It involves much more intelligence than that. In fact, if you want to maintain a -healthy- weight, you CAN eat junk food - but you have to eat it intelligently. That means, no triple whopper with cheese and bacon, a large fry, apple pie, and a diet soda to wash it all down. However, a single cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato, no mayo, no ketchup, a side salad with low-fat dressing, and bottled water is available in the same fast food joint and will not be a deal breaker to a healthy weight.

2. if you "go off" a diet when you've found your ideal weight, then yes you will gain it all back. And possibly even more. That's the problem with ALL diets, if you don't refer back to item #1 and eat *intelligently.* The Atkin's diet, like many others, is a way to learn how to eat intelligently. It leads you to the point where you don't need to follow a chart or a list to maintain a healthy weight. It leads you to the point where, once you've found that weight, you can throw the book away, because you know what you need to do, in order to maintain. And then you do that, indefinitely. That means, you can't go back to stuffing yourself with triple baconburgers. You can't revert back to hot fudge sundaes twice a week. You can't go back to hanging out on the living room couch playing nintendo when it's a nice enough day to go for a 2-mile walk.

That's why diets fail. Because dieters refuse to live intelligently. They rely on a diet to make them lose weight, take absolutely zero responsibility for their own health, and blame the diet when they gain it all back.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Regarding the book, I wouldn't bother with the 2010 edition. After Dr. Atkins died, the folks at Atkins nutritionals decided to tweak the diet so they could include all of their products. I've seen a lot of people recommend the 2002 edition. I have the 1992 edition myself.
2002 (or even 1992) is definitely the way to go rather than 2010. You don't need or even want all the fake stuff. It tastes awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss