Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times

Advertisements

mochamajesty wrote:
Oh, I agree that the statement is valid. The point that I was making is that there are healthy people in this country. There is a way around it, if you want to find it.
Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
Everyone should quit smoking too - WHY would anyone pick up a cigarette in these days of all the warnings and PROOF of what it does to your health? But yet they do.

They go outside of their buildings in all weather to smoke... no matter what. They poison themselves with smoke - and it's not EVEN food.

These threads always have to turn into "why do these poor people stay fat, and think it's OK?"

Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Default It is natural to seek to understand what is mysterious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Everyone should quit smoking too - WHY would anyone pick up a cigarette in these days of all the warnings and PROOF of what it does to your health? But yet they do.
They go outside of their buildings in all weather to smoke... no matter what. They poison themselves with smoke - and it's not EVEN food.

These threads always have to turn into "why do these poor people stay fat, and think it's OK?"
I don't see what the comment about smoking has to do with your final sentence about "these threads". Your smoking comment is correct, of course. You could have added alcohol abuse: Why do some people drink too much to the degree that it is causing serious problems in their lives, but they don't get help to quit and just keep drinking too much until something horrible happens, either legally or medically or otherwise?

The reason threads turn into "why do these poor people stay fat, and think it's OK?" is that it is such an incomprehensible mystery, so we come back to it again and again, seeking to understand. The same thing with smoking, with drinking too much, and with other forms of self-abuse that we could come up with if we just thought about it a minute. People so often, in so many ways, do not act in their own long-term self interest. It is one of the great mysteries of our species. Why do those poor people continue to smoke and think it's OK? Why do those poor people keep drinking way too much and think it's OK? Same thing.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 PM

It's been said many times, in many other threads.

You have to eat food. You dont have to smoke or drink alcohol at all.

There ARE other factors that can affect body size, inclduing health problems and heredity, and reasons that you cannot exercise. Yes, people can always lose weight - but in different amounts and places on their bodies. People do not all have the same proportions and some can never be thin in certain areas of their body unless they are skeletal in other areas.

AND - when someone is overweight, you can look right at them and instantly judge them for being fat. If you dont see someone smoking or drinking at that moment, you never have that ability. It seems to be that one last discrimination and hatred/disgust that - by looking at someone - you can whisper your thoughts on it, or even give them suggestions on how to fix themselves, if you feel inclined.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Quote:

There ARE other factors that can affect body size, inclduing health problems and heredity, and reasons that you cannot exercise. Yes, people can always lose weight - but in different amounts and places on their bodies. People do not all have the same proportions and some can never be thin in certain areas of their body unless they are skeletal in other areas.

AND - when someone is overweight, you can look right at them and instantly judge them for being fat. If you dont see someone smoking or drinking at that moment, you never have that ability. It seems to be that one last discrimination and hatred/disgust that - by looking at someone - you can whisper your thoughts on it, or even give them suggestions on how to fix themselves, if you feel inclined.
Well, if this is so much outside of people's ability to control, then explain to me why obesity was such a rarity when I was a child growing up in the 1950's.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 PM

So many more 'fast' and processed foods, less exercise from the beginning of childhood, all the toxic stuff everywhere - incl in the food?

Here is some explanations...

The Way We Eat Now | Harvard Magazine May-Jun 2004

Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
So many more 'fast' and processed foods, less exercise from the beginning of childhood, all the toxic stuff everywhere - incl in the food?

Here is some explanations...

The Way We Eat Now | Harvard Magazine May-Jun 2004
So, how are people actually able to reach/maintain a healthy weight?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So, how are people actually able to reach/maintain a healthy weight?
Well, according to this article - 90-95% who lose the weight, dont keep it off. I am sure the more drastic the 'diet,' the less chance of keeping it off.

If someone can change their eating habits and lifestyle, eat more of the 'good' foods and less of the bad ones, and exercise more - they'll be thinner usually. That is common sense. But for someone who loses 100 lbs. etc., it will be a struggle with every meal and every day, for the rest of their lives. Your body is used to being overweight... sometimes it can even be hereditary.

I would compare it to someone beating a drug addiction - even tho i know it's not exactly the same. Some people who have kept off the weight will weigh themselves every few days, or be able to feel when they've gained a couple lbs. and then eat extra-sensibly for a week again.

It's just that so many people cant watch every single bite and meal for the rest of their lives, truthfully they just dont have it in them i guess. I'm no expert. But fat people know they are fat, and obese ones almost always would like to be thinner. That's a no-brainer.

Fit for Life: Keeping the Weight Off | Psychology Today

Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:

You can have some food in healthy amounts. Just not too much of it. You can't have some smoke. Debatable if you can have some drink. People have quit smoking or drinking etc. Stop making excuses.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
It's just that so many people cant watch every single bite and meal for the rest of their lives, truthfully they just dont have it in them i guess.
It is this attitude that keeps people fat/obese. It is also this attitude that invites ridicule. Yes, it is a daily struggle, weight loss is not a "do it once and forget about it" deal. True story: last night friends wanted to go out for pizza. I went, had one slice anda glass of water. Not a big deal. The old me would have devoured half a pie and stopped for fast food on the way home. People CAN watch what they eat for the rest of their lives. Or perhaps I give people more credit than they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss