Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I know you're just saying, but when you step back and look at the total sugar intake for the day (grapefruit, jelly and 5-6 craisins), its a LOT less than what you'll find most obese people eat in just one snack.
Of course. But craisins are one of those products that, unless you read the fine print of the ingredients, you'd never think they contained added sugar.

Not to mention ... Eating craisins and stopping at just 5 or 6, once you taste their tart, sugary goodness, is a slippery slope I don't need to be going down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
I always scoffed at the low-carb advice until I tried it. Lost weight in a hurry. And I'm not talking super low, I still get 30-40% of my daily calories from carbs. But those carbs come from fruit/veges, oatmeal, etc. All I really did was eliminate processed foods and refined sugars, skipped bread and alcohol for a while and switched to almond milk. I have gone back to bread but I keep it to one or two slices a day from the local bakery.

I do work out like crazy, but my wife doesn't and she is losing just as fast as I am...

Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Calorie - A unit of heat measurement used in nutrition to measure the energy value of foods. A calorie is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water 1°C.

So what?

What kind of food you put into your mouth will drastically effect what your body process for energy amongst a host of other things.
You will not survive on calories from candy bars alone. So no, in the context you were speaking of, a calorie is most certainly not a calorie... or a calorie.
Forget about calories.
You cannot forget about calories. Your body is going to burn them at the same rate. How you feel and how your body reacts will depend on what type of calorie you are eating. You cannot eat more calories than you burn if you want to lose or maintain weight. Your body just does not work that way. And eating a crap load of meat and animal fat is just not all that great for you. Neither is a carb laden diet.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You cannot forget about calories. Your body is going to burn them at the same rate. How you feel and how your body reacts will depend on what type of calorie you are eating. You cannot eat more calories than you burn if you want to lose or maintain weight. Your body just does not work that way. And eating a crap load of meat and animal fat is just not all that great for you. Neither is a carb laden diet.
I kind of agree -- I can see my abs now and I have giant swaths of the day where I'm not hungry at all. It's a really uncomfortable existence, being able to do absolutely anything with your time because you're not a slave to food cravings, blood sugar swings, etc. Freedom is scary. I don't recommend it. Keep eating your granola bars and oatmeal.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,112 times
As my pcp once told me-- nothing in moderation is bad for anyone but everything in excess is bad. I go from there...

Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
As my pcp once told me-- nothing in moderation is bad for anyone but everything in excess is bad. I go from there...
Exactly!

Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Problem is, what is "moderate" for one person is "excessive" for another. The term "moderation" is very subjective.

We could all eat the exact same diet and have vastly different responses to it.

But in general, the more natural your diet, the greater your results will be. Not just in terms of weight but in terms of muscle development, skin clarity, even the condition of your hair....

Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Problem is, what is "moderate" for one person is "excessive" for another. The term "moderation" is very subjective.

We could all eat the exact same diet and have vastly different responses to it.

But in general, the more natural your diet, the greater your results will be. Not just in terms of weight but in terms of muscle development, skin clarity, even the condition of your hair....
Yes this is true and some things just shouldn't be eaten at all, even in moderation. PopTarts for example

Old 05-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Salt? How would that help? Also, did you do a line of coke or meth before you made that post? Talk about manic.
Lao always sound like that. I think it's supposed to come across as highly motivational. I personally have never been motivated by such effusive speech, but a lot of people are. Some people like that drill sergeant approach.

I assume that he mentions salt because of water retention...?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Yes this is true and some things just shouldn't be eaten at all, even in moderation. PopTarts for example
If I am at a healthy weight, have no problems with sugar, have good blood pressure, heart rate, triglycerides, no anemia, no heart problems, no vein problems, brain scan's good, bones are good, got myself some nice abs and a firm tush, and I get out and move that tush a few hours a week...

then there is absolutely positively nothing wrong with my enjoying a Pop Tart every couple of months. And maybe every -other- month, between Pop Tarts, I might even have a hot fudge sundae with maraschino cherries and marshmallow topping. And maybe to celebrate the first day of each new season, I'll have a Hostess Cupcake and wash it down with a few swigs of Boone's Farm strawberry wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss