Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,151,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Sounds so simple doesnt it? It really IS that simple. By simply eliminating your sugar (all sugars including breads) and salts (all salts including sodium) you WILL improve.

Ive done it. Ive trained people who have done it. I know many who have done it. YOU should do it.

Of course, you WILL need to have some type of exercise plan as well. Im not talking about walking the dog or working in the garden exercise either. Im talking EXERCISE!!

Some ladies here in the office who have been fat for years, but constantly talk about this diet, that diet, walking during lunch, etc. and NEVER having or showing any signs of success. I tell them to cut out all that sh*t they eat and they WILL see results. Its always breads, bagels, sodas, sugar in coffee, etc.

Why is it so difficult for people to do this?
Because not everyone lives in a 9 - 5 box, that's why. When I tell people about my schedule, they think I'm lying! LOL There are a lot of people out there who do not have the time - HONESTLY do not have the time to spend diddling with their diet and exercise. I wish to heck all I had to do in a day was worry about this kind of crap.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Because not everyone lives in a 9 - 5 box, that's why. When I tell people about my schedule, they think I'm lying! LOL There are a lot of people out there who do not have the time - HONESTLY do not have the time to spend diddling with their diet and exercise. I wish to heck all I had to do in a day was worry about this kind of crap.

20yrsinBranson
But you have time for 10,000+ posts on City-Data.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I get what you are saying, being healthy does take time and effort.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,786,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
But doesn't sodium occur naturally in many foods? Are there really people in America at risk of not getting enough sodium in their diets??
Absolutely but it's much lower in fruits and vegetables and grains than in meats and dairy. In this era I don't think sodium deficiency is much of an issue, but I recall learning about Africa before European colonization and how salt was as good as gold or other valuable spices.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
No, they don't matter to you when you don't have to count them or worry about them. Calories don't matter to me. When I was eating "in moderation" and hungry all the time, they mattered quite a bit. Now that I eat tasty, satiating foods that fill me up and don't leave me hungry or craving, I don't worry about calories and I lose weight. I also no longer exercise with a focus of burning calories. I just go out and play once in a while. As far as I'm concerned calories no longer exist. So no, they don't matter at all.
I understand your point...but some people do not understand when you say calories do not matter. YOU no longer have to think about calories so they do not matter TO YOU. But in order to lose weight no matter what eating plan you choose, calories matter as far as you have to consume less that you burn. Can you grasp that?
You are not re-inventing the wheel. Its basic thermodynamics. YOU do not need to worry because what you do works for you.
Perhaps you can get your point across by saying that the food that you eat is filling enough that you never are worried about eating too many calories.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,786,145 times
Quote:
No, they don't matter to you when you don't have to count them or worry about them. Calories don't matter to me. When I was eating "in moderation" and hungry all the time, they mattered quite a bit. Now that I eat tasty, satiating foods that fill me up and don't leave me hungry or craving, I don't worry about calories and I lose weight. I also no longer exercise with a focus of burning calories. I just go out and play once in a while. As far as I'm concerned calories no longer exist. So no, they don't matter at all.
And oxygen doesn't matter when you breathe as much as you want and just breathe more when you go out and play. When I was drowning, a I thought about was oxygen but now that I'm not drowning, oxygen doesn't matter a bit.

^^^
That's a parody of you and how silly you sound. Of course calories matter. Ignoring them doesn't make them go away. Your body may signal you so you are happy and healthy without being aware of your intake, but for 2/3 of Americans, that method ain't working.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I understand your point...but some people do not understand when you say calories do not matter. YOU no longer have to think about calories so they do not matter TO YOU. But in order to lose weight no matter what eating plan you choose, calories matter as far as you have to consume less that you burn. Can you grasp that?
You are not re-inventing the wheel. Its basic thermodynamics. YOU do not need to worry because what you do works for you.
Perhaps you can get your point across by saying that the food that you eat is filling enough that you never are worried about eating too many calories.
I said if you eat correctly, you don't need to worry about calories.
Can you grasp that? Apparently not because it's the same damn conversation every time.

It's really amazing. People spend so much effort trying to find the magic pill, some weirdo diet, or restricting their caloric intake and calling it "moderation" when it should really be called "starvation", when all you have to do is eat natural, clean foods like animal/fish protein, veggies, fruit, nuts... and get rid of the junk like sugar, bread, anything in a box. When you do that, you just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. That might be one meal a day or it might be 4. You may eat a lot, you may eat a little. Once you understand that and experience that, you will see calories are a non-issue. Calo-what?

Now if you are eating for emotional reasons, that's a different story, and something you need to deal with first and foremost.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Of course calories matter. Ignoring them doesn't make them go away. Your body may signal you so you are happy and healthy without being aware of your intake, but for 2/3 of Americans, that method ain't working.
Because 2/3 of americans (or more) are eating like crap. Even the ones that think they are eating healthy.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:
I said if you eat correctly, you don't need to worry about calories.
Can you grasp that? Apparently not because it's the same damn conversation every time.

It's really amazing. People spend so much effort trying to find the magic pill, some weirdo diet, or restricting their caloric intake and calling it "moderation" when it should really be called "starvation", when all you have to do is eat natural, clean foods like animal/fish protein, veggies, fruit, nuts... and get rid of the junk like sugar, bread, anything in a box. When you do that, you just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. That might be one meal a day or it might be 4. You may eat a lot, you may eat a little. Once you understand that and experience that, you will see calories are a non-issue. Calo-what?

Now if you are eating for emotional reasons, that's a different story, and something you need to deal with first and foremost.
Do you realize that your style of eating is not the ONLY correct way of eating? It works for you but it may not work for everyone else. And moderation does work for a lot of people. I am a perfect example of how well it works. I can eat any damn thing I want as long as I eat it in moderation. I do not count calories either but I also know that if I go over a certain amount I will gain weight.
Calories are ALWAYS an issue. Whether you choose to count them or not. Its science. And we keep having the same conversation because for some reason you think your way of eating is the end all be all and that calories do not matter.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Knowing the logic behind "eating right" gives people more tools with which to lose, healthily.

Understanding the very basic principals of "going on a diet" (the "weight loss" meaning of the word, not the "things I normally eat" meaning of the word), is one of those tools. And the very basic, underlying principal that drives all methods, theories, and diet types is: calories in, calories out. If you consume less than you take in, you will gain weight. If you consume what you take in, you will maintain weight. If you consume more than you take in, you will lose weight.

This includes the types of food you eat, it includes how your body digests the foods that you eat, it includes the time of day you eat, how much you exercise, when you exercise, what kinds of exercise you do, whether the moon is in the seventh house or if jupiter is aligning with mars, whether you are vegan or pescatarian or a caveman.

No matter what you do with your diet and exercise, no matter how *your* body processes calories..the one constant that does not change...is calories in/calories out.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,990,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Do you realize that your style of eating is not the ONLY correct way of eating? It works for you but it may not work for everyone else. And moderation does work for a lot of people. I am a perfect example of how well it works. I can eat any damn thing I want as long as I eat it in moderation. I do not count calories either but I also know that if I go over a certain amount I will gain weight.
Calories are ALWAYS an issue. Whether you choose to count them or not. Its science. And we keep having the same conversation because for some reason you think your way of eating is the end all be all and that calories do not matter.
Why not? Aren't they ALWAYS an issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss