Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,704,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, I understand what a carb is. I understand what it does to your body. There are different thoughts on this, not just that you need carbs for energy. You can survive on a very low, 30grams, of carbs a day and that is only because we are programmed to eat them, in our thinking. Really, do you need a piece of fruit? No. Do you need a salad? No. Are you getting much from them? In reality, not all that much.
30 grams of carbohydrates = eating carbs. You've just gone from saying we need 0 to talking about 30...

Yes we DO need fruits and veggies, are you serious? Yes I DO get something out of them. Nutrients, fiber and energy. Furthermore carbohydrates are essential for proper brain function. People who point to the paleo diet fail to note what tiny brains they had.

Geez I hope no one listens to your cockamamie ideas about eating. It's so bizarre when someone is so defiantly wrong.

Last edited by OngletNYC; 05-27-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 PM

48,633 posts, read 35,104,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post

I'd bet you that MOST of the people here who are looking for help have been living the old style food pyramid for their entire lives.
Yet they are still here.
I'm suggesting they try something else.
And so are you.

I don't think there is one cure all that applies to everyone when it comes to weight loss, or even eating healthy.

I work well with the majority of my food being vegetables, fruits and complex grains.

I went high protein for three months and felt AWFUL. Also it took a toll on medically... all kinds of problems.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
30 grams of carbohydrates = eating carbs. You've just gone from saying we need 0 to talking about 30...

Yes we DO need fruits and veggies, are you serious? Yes I DO get something out of them. Nutrients, fiber and energy. Furthermore carbohydrates are essential for proper brain function. People who point to the paleo diet fail to note what tiny brains they had.

Geez I hope no one listens to your cockamamie ideas about eating. It's so bizarre when someone is so defiantly wrong.

First off... no reason to be nasty just because I don't believe what you believe.

Secondly, to clarify... I eat 30 grams a day BUT there are groups of people who do not have fruits and veggies in their diet and they survive just fine and their bodies adjust to their eating habits and what is available. We didn't evolve from people who ran to the grocery store or the back yard to gather fruit and veg.

Whatever works for you, I'm happy for you. I'm not interested in a battle with you about this. It is simple really, we have different views and that is that.

Last edited by brava4; 05-28-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,853,295 times
And back then those people had no knowledge of diet whatsoever. They ate to survive thats it. Fruits and vegetables and whole grains provide nutrients, antioxidants, minerals, fiber, oils, and a whole host of things that ARE VERY, VERY good for us. Cave men had little brains and lived a very short period of time. Why do I want to emulate that?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:11 AM

11,448 posts, read 14,498,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How about a sample menu? I am trying my best to lose weight, eating healthy and exercising like crazy. Both cardio and weights, changing it up, adding intervals and nothing is coming off.
Define "Eating healthy."

Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,816,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
And back then those people had no knowledge of diet whatsoever. They ate to survive thats it. Fruits and vegetables and whole grains provide nutrients, antioxidants, minerals, fiber, oils, and a whole host of things that ARE VERY, VERY good for us. Cave men had little brains and lived a very short period of time. Why do I want to emulate that?
Yes, absolutely. (the bold part)
Hunter/Gatherers ate whatever they could find and depending on the season, fruit, veggies, and nuts were a big part of that.

What do you mean they lived for a very short period of time?
Do you mean how long did they exist? Hundreds of thousands of years, but exactly how long depends on what period you are talking about.
Stone Age Timelines

If you mean their life span, diet had very little to do with it if they died "early".
Life Expectancy in the Paleolithic

Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And so are you.
What's your point?
Like i said, it's a suggestion to try something different.
You tried it, your body couldn't handle it for whatever reason, now you know.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,811,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Define "Eating healthy."
I will have a smoothie for breakfast made from frozen strawberries, bananas and non fat yogurt

Lunch will be a salad with tomatoes, 1/2 avacado, beets, pumpkin seeds and an oil/vinger dressing.

Dinner will be whole wheat cucous, with beans, aspargus and tomatoes.

For snacks I have almonds, banana chips or a piece of fruit.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM

So are you vegetarian?
Where's the protein? Where's the fats (besides the nuts and avocado)?
I see all carbs and fructose, even if its complex carbs.

If that's all your are eating I think you are starving yourself and have put your body into starvation mode, causing you to hold on to your fat. Even more so if you are "exercising like crazy".

I couldn't function on that at all.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,990,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
So are you vegetarian?
Where's the protein? Where's the fats (besides the nuts and avocado)?
I see all carbs and fructose, even if its complex carbs.

If that's all your are eating I think you are starving yourself and have put your body into starvation mode, causing you to hold on to your fat. Even more so if you are "exercising like crazy".

I couldn't function on that at all.
I agree. I would be starving if I only ate that.

How about adding some avocado to your AM smoothie to bulk it up. Or flax seeds. Add beans to the salad. Have hummus and veggies for snacks or apples and peanut butter or almond butter. That diet looks very minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss