Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 07:43 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,861,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Why not? Aren't they ALWAYS an issue?
Yes, they are. But I know what kinds of foods I am eating so I know I am not going crazy with the calories. If I decided calories didn't matter anymore I may decide to make less than healthy food decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,228,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
But you have time for 10,000+ posts on City-Data.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I get what you are saying, being healthy does take time and effort.
Point well taken.

For the last year, I post between customers. Prior to that, I admit, I wasted time. It's the internet. Need I say more?

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,820,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Do you realize that your style of eating is not the ONLY correct way of eating? It works for you but it may not work for everyone else.
Eating natural clean foods will work for everybody.
It's not magic, it's just what our bodies were designed to run on.
One person may still need to alter what they eat compared to another person, but if you stick to those kinds of foods and stay away from bread, refined sugars and other processed/boxed foods you will lose weight and be healthy.

Anything else is a compromise. You may be able to cheat (i do it too) and eat a candy bar or a piece of cake some times. You may be able to do this consistently by counting calories and cutting back on the foods you should be eating. Moderation.

Most people coming here have a weight problem and/or eating disorder. You may have figured out what works for you... a way you can balance the junk food with the healthy food. But look around... it's pretty obvious that most people can't. The answer is simple but no one seems to want to hear it. Give up the junk (yes this includes bread and pasta) and you will lose the weight. FAST. It's amazing how addicted people are that they just can't do it. It's no different than smokers. They know they're killing themselves but they just can't stop. Same difference here. Except the medical industry and pharmaceutical companies have been giving us the wrong information. Here I am telling people it's ok to eat saturated fat and carbs are bad, yet everything since WWII says differently. So if they are told they can't eat bread they don't know what to do, because they think they can't eat meat either. And then they turn to nasty "low fat, healthy" boxed alternatives laden with salt, preservatives and a host of other nonsense you can't even pronounce. It's ridiculous. And just as bad for you IMHO. Instead, if you can just wipe your mind clean of everything you thought you knew to be correct and start over just eating clean, natural foods, you will see how easy it is.

The other problem is people gauge health by body weight. Just because you are thin, doesn't mean your are healthy. Even the standard blood test isn't conclusive. Drs' ideas of healthy cholesterol is also a bit skewed. Your LDL may be within the commonly accepted range but if your LDL particle size is Size B, you could be just as likely to have a heart attack as the 300lb guy next to you. I urge everyone to get an extended lipid panel and get your particle size tested. But most people don't know about this. I've seen COUNTLESS amounts of people with high cholesterol and on statins by drs orders, all while eating the supposed healthy american diet high in grains. Then they start eating some form of natural diet wheter it be labeled Paleo or something else, and they cholesterol drops and they get off the statins. But I digress...

Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 AM

I agree about simple carbs and processed foods. Everyone should avoid them. But I am a believer in eating whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, and other complex carbs. Fiber rich foods are extremely important.
And exercise is non negotiable. Getting one's heart rate up at least a few times a week will work wonders on cholesterol, diabetes, cancer prevention, heart health, not to mention weight loss and weight sustainability... the list goes on.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Knowing the logic behind "eating right" gives people more tools with which to lose, healthily.
I absolutely agree with you on this. One of the very first things I tell people is to find a book(s) that teaches them PROPER NUTRITION, not diet. Proper nutrition is key.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
Quote:
Do you realize that your style of eating is not the ONLY correct way of eating? It works for you but it may not work for everyone else. And moderation does work for a lot of people. I am a perfect example of how well it works. I can eat any damn thing I want as long as I eat it in moderation. I do not count calories either but I also know that if I go over a certain amount I will gain weight.
Calories are ALWAYS an issue. Whether you choose to count them or not. Its science. And we keep having the same conversation because for some reason you think your way of eating is the end all be all and that calories do not matter.
I disagree. Is it healthy to eat 2-3 twinkies? Is it healthy to eat 2-3 pieces of bread at Cheesecake factory before ording your cheesecake? What Lucky posted was the BEST way of eating. Sure, for some, other methods may work, but for people who absolutely need to lose weight (the obese, the sick, etc.) they MUST seek and conform to the BEST methods available. This means learning what to eat, what NOT to eat, and staying away from sh*tty foods even if they still are under their daily caloric intake. Your car can probably still run if you put a bit of water in the tank along with the gas, but that isnt going to help you get the most out of your car now isnt it.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I disagree. Is it healthy to eat 2-3 twinkies? Is it healthy to eat 2-3 pieces of bread at Cheesecake factory before ording your cheesecake? What Lucky posted was the BEST way of eating. Sure, for some, other methods may work, but for people who absolutely need to lose weight (the obese, the sick, etc.) they MUST seek and conform to the BEST methods available. This means learning what to eat, what NOT to eat, and staying away from sh*tty foods even if they still are under their daily caloric intake. Your car can probably still run if you put a bit of water in the tank along with the gas, but that isnt going to help you get the most out of your car now isnt it.
I am not advocating eating crap food. Never have. Maybe you have not been following my posts here. I AWAYS advocate a variety of whole fresh foods, stay away from sugar and simple carbs and processed foods. I was criticizing the meat-centric diets that restrict food groups. I am a firm believer of when you eliminate a food group you are destined for failure.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,820,345 times
Quote:
I agree about simple carbs and processed foods. Everyone should avoid them. But I am a believer in eating whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, and other complex carbs. Fiber rich foods are extremely important.
You can get plenty of fiber from things other than grains.
Eat lots of dark leafy green veggies instead. Apples are great too.
If you didn't enjoy grains so much, you wouldn't be fighting for them.
Also, if you look at the nutritional content of brown and white rice they are identical. Same macronutrients and fiber content. Since getting into paleo I learned about all of the anti-nutrients brown rice has over white. I don't eat a ton of rice now but when I do I clearly choose the white over brown.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
You can get plenty of fiber from things other than grains.
Eat lots of dark leafy green veggies instead. Apples are great too.
If you didn't enjoy grains so much, you wouldn't be fighting for them.
Also, if you look at the nutritional content of brown and white rice they are identical. Same macronutrients and fiber content. Since getting into paleo I learned about all of the anti-nutrients brown rice has over white. I don't eat a ton of rice now but when I do I clearly choose the white over brown.
Fighting for them? They are a healthy option! Your meat and fat centric diet is a FAD. And brown rice has fiber. Paleo works for you. But please do not try and advocate that it is the best way to eat.
Let me ask you... are you at your healthiest weight? How long have you been on Paleo? Do you plan on eating like this for the rest of your life?
Since getting into Paleo you learned a lot of propaganda.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM

10,642 posts, read 12,230,161 times
Quote:
Since getting into paleo I learned about all of the anti-nutrients brown rice has over white. I don't eat a ton of rice now but when I do I clearly choose the white over brown.
Can you please expound on that. In my cursory reading on paleo, I picked up on the issue of grains NOT being as good for you as many people think and the industrial food complex promotes. Can you provide more info on that.

As for brown vs.white rice....you always hear brown rice pushed like it's SOOO much better than white rice. And when I was trying to go brown, I wasn't crazy about the taste, so I finally looked at the nutritional comparison to see whether it was WORTH forcing myself to like brown rice. ONE gram of fiber difference. ONE? For that, I'm choosing brown over white? I've since given up most grains. But when I DO eat rice...99 percent of the time it's white. SOMEtimes I'll choose brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss