Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Can you please expound on that. In my cursory reading on paleo, I picked up on the issue of grains NOT being as good for you as many people think and the industrial food complex promotes. Can you provide more info on that.

As for brown vs.white rice....you always hear brown rice pushed like it's SOOO much better than white rice. And when I was trying to go brown, I wasn't crazy about the taste, so I finally looked at the nutritional comparison to see whether it was WORTH forcing myself to like brown rice. ONE gram of fiber difference. ONE? For that, I'm choosing brown over white? I've since given up most grains. But when I DO eat rice...99 percent of the time it's white. SOMEtimes I'll choose brown.
Here are a few sites you can do some research on Paleo:

Paleo Diet Reviews - US News Best Diets

Paleo Diet Criticism | LIVESTRONG.COM

Paleo Diet Review: Pros and Cons -- Natural Health Newsletter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,809,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Fighting for them? They are a healthy option! Your meat and fat centric diet is a FAD. And brown rice has fiber. Paleo works for you. But please do not try and advocate that it is the best way to eat.
Let me ask you... are you at your healthiest weight? How long have you been on Paleo? Do you plan on eating like this for the rest of your life?
Since getting into Paleo you learned a lot of propaganda.
You know, my uncle used to say the internet is a FAD. lol

Here's the correct food pyramid and the way I eat.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t_2011sm-1.jpg
This way is much healthier than a bread and grain-centric diet.
Been doing it for near two years, the weight has stayed off, it's easy, I've done the extended lipid panel and it proves that my way of eating has given me an LDL particle size of A. My trigs are low, my hdl is high. And yes, I am at my healthiest weight that I can remember and I still need to shop for slimmer pants occasionally.
And brown rice has fiber yes. I said it has the SAME fiber as white rice. Read it again.
Why wouldn't I continue to eat healthy? Especially with all that good stuff shown in the pyramid?

I know you like to keep saying meat and fat centric which is misleading. Just like you know how to google for studies that are AGAINST paleo. Eat fish, chicken and lean cuts of beef if you want. This is encouraged. There is more meat and fat involved in this way of eating but what you don't seem to understand is that it's actually beneficial when you are NOT eating bread, grains and refined sugars. It's not something to be feared. You're better off cooking in bacon fat or coconut oil than cooking with Pam or vegetable oils which are all soy based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Can you please expound on that. In my cursory reading on paleo, I picked up on the issue of grains NOT being as good for you as many people think and the industrial food complex promotes. Can you provide more info on that.

As for brown vs.white rice....you always hear brown rice pushed like it's SOOO much better than white rice. And when I was trying to go brown, I wasn't crazy about the taste, so I finally looked at the nutritional comparison to see whether it was WORTH forcing myself to like brown rice. ONE gram of fiber difference. ONE? For that, I'm choosing brown over white? I've since given up most grains. But when I DO eat rice...99 percent of the time it's white. SOMEtimes I'll choose brown.
If you want to find the real info and make your own decisions, first read about WHY we get fat. Go to amazon and search for Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat". He's not a doctor, but what he does do is a good job of digging up and providing all kinds of studies throughout the years (before and after WWII) that will open your eyes and explain exactly why the current american diet is not working. He doesn't push a specific diet, he doesn't make any claims, he just provides the information and you can decide for yourself. You can also search youtube for his talks, but the book is a very easy read. I also recommend Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" book. He goes over a lot of the same information covered in the Taubes book but then he goes into actual eating and exercise plans. And finally, get on Mark's Daily Apple and go to the forums to talk with people who have actually LIVED this way of life for extended periods of time. Unlike the uninformed people here.

You can ignore the links posted above because I could also go out and google for studies that are PRO paleo. That game can be played all day long and is a waste of time.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,161,673 times
I think it comes down to the fact that everyone is different and not everyone will have the same experiences. For some a higher carb diet does well for them , for others lower. Some can go Paleo, some can go food pyramid.

I don't think anyone should advocate that what they do is THE one true way for everyone, just because it's the one true way for THEM.

But that's just my two cents.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

Some people can live on pizza, raman noodles and candy bars.
Would you EVER recommend that to somebody because it seems to work for some people?

I'd bet you that MOST of the people here who are looking for help have been living the old style food pyramid for their entire lives.
Yet they are still here.
I'm suggesting they try something else.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:40 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,357,142 times
You don't need carbs to live, bad carbs. Or even much of good carbs. It is what we have been "programmed" to believe. It is like how we have been programmed to believe fat is bad for you. Yes, a lot is but not the good stuff.

I always thought these people had it right.
Inuit diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 PM

326 posts, read 705,095 times
White vs brown rice the same? Ha - you guys just aren't shopping around! Check this one: Lundberg Wild Blend, Gourmet Blend of Wild and Whole Grain Brown Rice, 16-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food - it has 4 grams of protein per serving plus a bunch of other greatness...

Each diet has its pluses and minuses - the meat first pyramid that was shown is very effective at weight loss and control - my concern is an increased risk of colon cancer - especially if that paleo includes BBQ meats and cold cuts...

Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,357,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
White vs brown rice the same? Ha - you guys just aren't shopping around! Check this one: Lundberg Wild Blend, Gourmet Blend of Wild and Whole Grain Brown Rice, 16-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food - it has 4 grams of protein per serving plus a bunch of other greatness...

Each diet has its pluses and minuses - the meat first pyramid that was shown is very effective at weight loss and control - my concern is an increased risk of colon cancer - especially if that paleo includes BBQ meats and cold cuts...

I believe people are talking basic brown rice... not wild rice/brown rice combo. And did you happen to see that 1/4 cup has 32 grams of carbs . That is nuts... and I ain't talking wild nuts at that. That is over 1/2 of my carbs for the day. I would never waste that many on only a 1/4 of a cup of anything.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 PM

Rice Protein how much protein in different rice grains

Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 PM

326 posts, read 705,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Lol yeah -that is one of those post that you make - then look up the facts and yeah they are all about the same on protein -- but the rice taste damn good

Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,818 times
The Paleo food pyramid is not the answer. For you it might be, when I look at it makes me cringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss