Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times

Advertisements

When I was in college I got chubby....I went from eating a very plain meat/fish/chicken/vegetables/salad diet to institutionalized food... macaroni and cheese, desserts (which I never was allowed as a child), rich casseroles, etc.

After college I switched to a whole foods diet of mainly whole grains, tofu, legumes, and a wide variety of vegetables. I quickly lost the weight & even over the years continuing that whole foods way of eating have never had to watch my weight again. In fact, I'm skinny. I now, as a retired or semi-retired lady, can eat voracious amounts. I do now get lots of exercise compared to most sedate folks.

The only variable was the type of diet. I have to believe that the whole foods diet was the key, at least for me.

20yrinbranson, try to incorporate movement into your daily routine... take the stairs at work. Walk to that colleague's office instead of e-mailing. Pace up & down reading that report LOL. Walk to the store. On your days off walk, walk, walk. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I really feel your pain, 20yrsinBranson. I've tried seemingly everything with no results too. I've done every wacky diet out there, I've used drugs, I log food on SparkPeople, I'm currently doing Weight Watchers, I gave up wheat and grains. Basically, if you can name it, I've tried it. I was especially disappointed with Wheat Belly since it seems like EVERYONE that follows the plan loses weight. Everyone but me. I only eat single ingredient foods (fruits, veggies, meat, limited dairy) and I track everything through Weight Watchers. I have had no success. I'll lose 5 pounds and then gain 6 in a single day, lose those 6, repeat. It's ridiculous and depressing.

The only thing that has ever worked for me was phentermine. Of course your body becomes used to that after awhile and it doesn't work. So, it's temporary at best, and I never got to my actual goal weight anyway.

Personally, I have given up trying to lose weight. I stick with whole foods because I believe it is the healthiest diet out there. Being overweight is just as good as things are going to get for me. Oh well. At least I have some intelligence to fall back on... I certainly don't have looks.
It's frustrating to see everyone get results while you struggle and seem to go nowhere..

I know that I haven't had the dramatic weight loss that some people seem to enjoy but I can say that my figure is a lot more "hour glass" now that I have limited carbs/junk in my diet. At one point my torso was turning into a big round apple with skinny arms and skinny legs. Now, since I've been watching what I eat and exercising, I feel more...proportionate...more like "me". Not where I want to be but getting better.

Definitely stick with the whole foods.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM

156 posts, read 175,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am so sick and tired of trying to lose weight with no success. I have tried cutting my calories, cutting my carbs, "eating several small meals a day", and still nothing works.

Because of a very demanding schedule, finding time to exercise is very challenging. But I have been trying to walk every day, and move more. Still nothing works. Nothing. nada.

It really gets depressing after awhile.

20yrsinBranson
without sports activity it will be difficult to lose weight, anyway forget about the diets, they work only for short periods, but after you will gain even more.. continue to eat many times a day (at least 5-6), but small amounts, in this way surely you will not gain weight, and with time (1-2 months) you will continue to lose slowly... also another important thing never stay hungry, if you feel hunger immediately it something small, because when you feel hunger and you do not eat, your digestion slows down, and when you will eat next time, even if it is smth small, it will take much more time to digest it

Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's frustrating to see everyone get results while you struggle and seem to go nowhere..

I know that I haven't had the dramatic weight loss that some people seem to enjoy but I can say that my figure is a lot more "hour glass" now that I have limited carbs/junk in my diet. At one point my torso was turning into a big round apple with skinny arms and skinny legs. Now, since I've been watching what I eat and exercising, I feel more...proportionate...more like "me". Not where I want to be but getting better.

Definitely stick with the whole foods.
You are right... my figure hasn't changed dramatically or anything, but it has changed a little. Recently I started to look like the old me as well, which for me is more muscular arms and legs. I've always been an apple shape and carried weight there but since dropping wheat I've lost some of the bloat. I also think I've gained muscle and lost fat... my weight hasn't changed but the appearance of my legs has. Too bad it's cold and no one ever sees my legs since I never wear shorts and very rarely wear skirts.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM

123 posts, read 245,990 times
Read about the 5:2 diet Dr. Michael Mosley has popularized. It's quite the rage in UK right now and slowly catching on in the US. The idea is you reduce calories two days a week, so you are fasting essentially. When you fast, the body goes from storing fat to burning fat. I've been following a few message boards, and it does actually work for those who can maintain 500 cal/day on the two fast days.

You don't have to diet the other five days a week, but you are encouraged to eat responsibly, so I would recommend staying away from sugar. Sugar, bread and carbs are a big reason that people are obese and not able to reduce weight.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
if you're not doing at least 30 mins of cardio a day (no slow walking, but actual heart pumping cardio), along with a low calorie diet, you're not going to lose an ounce.

You say you've tried everything...how long to try before giving up? A week? A month? 6 mths? You shouldn't be losing more than 1-2 lbs a week anyway...why are you expecting it to fall off over night? Give yourself some time..watching your and diet and DAILY excerise will work.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
if you're not doing at least 30 mins of cardio a day (no slow walking, but actual heart pumping cardio), along with a low calorie diet, you're not going to lose an ounce.

You say you've tried everything...how long to try before giving up? A week? A month? 6 mths? You shouldn't be losing more than 1-2 lbs a week anyway...why are you expecting it to fall off over night? Give yourself some time..watching your and diet and DAILY excerise will work.
This is not necessarily true....exercise can help some lose weight faster but weight loss can occur without it. Exercise is not mandatory for weight loss.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This is not necessarily true....exercise can help some lose weight faster but weight loss can occur without it. Exercise is not mandatory for weight loss.
Of course you'll lose weight if you just count calories, but you won't look very good. I see ppl like that everyday...trust me, they aren't looking too hot. Very little muscle, saggy skin and no energy.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM

123 posts, read 245,990 times
Quote:

Actually, studies have shown that the effects of exercise on losing weight are negligible. You have to walk five miles to burn 500 calories. One pound is equal to 3,500 calories, so you would have to do a lot of walking and running just to lose a single pound. What is more, people tend to reward themselves after exercise. Go to gym, 30 minutes on treadmill, and then the congratulatory muffin, which wipes out any effects of the gym.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Of course you'll lose weight if you just count calories, but you won't look very good. I see ppl like that everyday...trust me, they aren't looking too hot. Very little muscle, saggy skin and no energy.
Please read what you posted.....you told the OP that she wouldn't lose an ounce unless she did at least 30 minutes of cardio a day.....this is the part that is simply not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss