Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times

Advertisements

Unlike most people I do not have the luxury of lots of free time to spend running, biking, etc. My window of opportunity is extremely small and I make the most of it. It is very difficult, I understand, for people who have worked a 9 - 5 job all their life to comprehend someone who works 10-12 hours a day with one hour commute in each direction. The only way I could devote more time to exercise would be to reduce my sleep time from 8 hours to 7 or 6, and I am not willing to do that. I do have one day off, but on that day I am obligated to do everything that I cannot do during the week such as housework, laundry, yard work, etc.

I have reduced my calorie intake dramatically and worked hard to replace unhealthy carbohydrates with more healthy options. The problem I am having is with hunger issues and it is sabotaging my efforts. Being hungry 24 hours a day is taking a toll on my disposition and my ability to focus.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Being hungry 24 hours a day is taking a toll on my disposition and my ability to focus.
Are you getting adequate protein at each meal? Protein really helps with hunger.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Are you getting adequate protein at each meal? Protein really helps with hunger.
Yes. I have been doing a paleo type diet, getting rid of grains and legumes. I eat plenty of meat. LOL Protein (and fiber) isn't a factor. I just am not eating enough at one time to satisfy my hunger. So I am constantly hungry.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
Yes. I have been doing a paleo type diet, getting rid of grains and legumes. I eat plenty of meat. LOL Protein (and fiber) isn't a factor. I just am not eating enough at one time to satisfy my hunger. So I am constantly hungry.

20yrsinBranson
Maybe you're just not eating enough calories. That can impact weight loss and obviously your hunger level. There are calculators that tell you how many calories you should be eating at your current weight/activity level that also can factor in the number of pounds you'd like to lose each week (I think 2 is the max). Eating too few calories can derail a diet just like too many.

Sorry you're frustrated, but you're making positive changes and that's always a good thing. Keep it up!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
The solution to the hunger issue for me has been to 1) avoid starchy/sugary foods 2) eat something healthy before I get hungry 3) plan my meals 4) have healthy snacks on hand.

First thing in the morning I might just want black coffee. But I know that I need to eat something too or I'll get really hungry later on. One breakfast that always seems to satisfy my hunger and keep me feeling good until lunchtime is my egg white/broccoli/cheese casserole (microwave broccoli florets for 3 minutes, put in bottom of medium casserole dish, pour in liquid egg whites, top with a 1/4 cup or so of shredded reduced-fat cheese, bake at 350 for 30 minutes). I eat a square of that each morning along with some berries. And that usually holds me until lunch. If I need something in between, I'll have almonds.

Lunch is often leftovers from dinner. Maybe a slice of turkey meatloaf with Italian zucchini.

Sometimes I'll snack on baby carrots and a couple of laughing cow cheese wedges.

Dinner is usually lean meat/fish paired with cooked veggies/salad. Maybe rotisserie chicken, steamed broccoli and a veggie salad (leftovers I use for lunch the next day or two).

Everything that I cook is pretty quick to make and always low carb. And it's good.

Fit in exercise where and whenever you can - take a walk while dinner is baking in the oven. Stand and walk around at work as much as you can (instead of sitting). Maybe get to the gym one night a week and on the weekends - whatever is possible, I know it's hard.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-06-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Well o.k....

Maybe it's just me, but I definitely do not get the impression that the OP is a 600 pound, bed ridden, food addict who relies on others to bring her truck loads of food every day. And I'll bet she's not "shoving burgers down" her own throat or family's throats, either.

It certainly is possible to Move More and Eat Less and still not get the results you want. I agree that the OP needs to look more closely at what she is eating and do what she can to up her activity level. That doesn't mean that she is isn't trying, though. That just means that she needs to do more in order to get the results that *she* wants...

it doesn't matter how big the OP is...they are making up excuse after excuse as to why they can't lose weight. They aren't willing to make the changes in their life they need to make. That's why they are still fat and will always be fat.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
it doesn't matter how big the OP is...they are making up excuse after excuse as to why they can't lose weight. They aren't willing to make the changes in their life they need to make. That's why they are still fat and will always be fat.
I'm sorry Kim, I don't think you are listening to the OP - at all. This is not a woman who is not trying. This is a woman who has an extremely hectic schedule, has little time to spend on herself and she has tried different diets which have not been working for her. She is frustrated and I can't blame her.

I'm guessing that the OP probably has insulin resistance which is a very real *physical* issue, not a "bad habit". Feeling hungry all the time and lack of energy are classic symptoms of IR. And while IR can be controlled (maybe even reversed) through diet and exercise. It is not just a simple matter of reducing calories and portion control..

OP - if you haven't had a check up in a while, now would be a good time to see your doctor.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-07-2013 at 05:15 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There are some aspects of this that are correct. First of all, I am not, and have never been a fan of exercise. It is something that I really have to push myself to do and even then I hate every stinking minute of it. That being said, I do try to get some exercise and I know that I should and probably could get a little more if I really, really, REALLY worked at it. But it would take an EXTRAORDINARY effort to find enough time to make a difference, and I am frankly not up to knocking myself out to rearrange my schedule to do something that I absolutely detest.

Now then, with regard to diet. I have tried many different lifestyle changes as they pertain to diet. (I do not go on "diets" per se, but instead try to modify my eating habits). I have tried just about every version of "eating healthier", and none of them seem to help me. The poster who said that I might be insulin resistant may be correct, but I suffer badly from low blood sugar if I don't eat fairly regularly. I am not sure if that is a sign of IR or not. I've altered my eating habits to remove almost all refined foods, especially starchy foods like sugar, white bread, rice, etc. I have not noticed any significant difference in the way I feel, nor any reduction in weight.

By the way, with regards to exercise. In the past I have made a commitment to exercise. I promised myself I would run 4 times a week for 1 month, which I did. Not only did I not see any improvement in my weight at the end of the month, but I did not feel better *and* my hunger levels increased dramatically. It was an unbearable struggle to not eat significantly more food during this time. Also, historically, I have had very active jobs where I was physically active for 8 hours solid and my weight fluctuated very little probably less than 10 pounds during this time. Therefore, I am of the opinion that physical exercise is not the problem here. I think that it has something to do with what I am eating, and I am simply trying to find a solution so that I can eat relatively normally without suffering and still maintain a healthy weight.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
Well you should keep a food journal for three months and review it with your doctor to at least rule out health issues. Don't cheat on the journal as that will just be a waste of time.

Measure your portions with a scale. Do you do this?

When I had weight to lose it just made me TOO hungry to exercise and diet at a high weight. It was annoying and exhausting. So I tested the theory of loss without exercise. It works. You still have to count your calories though.
Now at a lighter weight I actually like it.

What is your calorie level at now?
Do you think its a hydration issue? (can be with that type of diet)

This is big:
GIVE YOURSELF 3 MONTHS OF SOLID DEDICATION

You will not see results in weeks or a month all the time. Thats just the way it is.
And if you dramatically cut your cals your body is probably freaked out. You are only suppose to cut 1000 max.
500 regular.

I don't know what you weight is but a comfortable level to eat for me was the range BMR - Sedentary Maintenance level of cals. At that time you will shrink more in inches than on the scale. Its really good though for that hunger issue. I would get hunger surges after a large loss and it prevented me gaining back. I just got adjusted to the new level for my new weight.

As an exercise tip: Break it up. Take a 15 minute walk in the morning and one before dinner. Thats doable and not too exhausting. You can wake up 15 minutes earlier. 2 hours is a bit much.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
There are some aspects of this that are correct. First of all, I am not, and have never been a fan of exercise. It is something that I really have to push myself to do and even then I hate every stinking minute of it. That being said, I do try to get some exercise and I know that I should and probably could get a little more if I really, really, REALLY worked at it. But it would take an EXTRAORDINARY effort to find enough time to make a difference, and I am frankly not up to knocking myself out to rearrange my schedule to do something that I absolutely detest.

Now then, with regard to diet. I have tried many different lifestyle changes as they pertain to diet. (I do not go on "diets" per se, but instead try to modify my eating habits). I have tried just about every version of "eating healthier", and none of them seem to help me. The poster who said that I might be insulin resistant may be correct, but I suffer badly from low blood sugar if I don't eat fairly regularly. I am not sure if that is a sign of IR or not. I've altered my eating habits to remove almost all refined foods, especially starchy foods like sugar, white bread, rice, etc. I have not noticed any significant difference in the way I feel, nor any reduction in weight.

By the way, with regards to exercise. In the past I have made a commitment to exercise. I promised myself I would run 4 times a week for 1 month, which I did. Not only did I not see any improvement in my weight at the end of the month, but I did not feel better *and* my hunger levels increased dramatically. It was an unbearable struggle to not eat significantly more food during this time. Also, historically, I have had very active jobs where I was physically active for 8 hours solid and my weight fluctuated very little probably less than 10 pounds during this time. Therefore, I am of the opinion that physical exercise is not the problem here. I think that it has something to do with what I am eating, and I am simply trying to find a solution so that I can eat relatively normally without suffering and still maintain a healthy weight.

20yrsinBranson
I am NOT a fan of excerise either! I make myself go to the gym. I worked all day, I'm tired, it was a very busy day for me. Yet, I hauled my hiney to the gym. I did my 45 mins on the elliptical and 25 mins of weight training. I feel so much better...the tension is gone in my shoulders...my headache is gone...am I still tired?? You betcha..I'm tired. lolol But, I feel GOOD!!!

I think both diet and excerise are you problem...how many calories a day are you consuming? How many of those calories are you burning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss