Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well you should keep a food journal for three months and review it with your doctor to at least rule out health issues. Don't cheat on the journal as that will just be a waste of time.

Measure your portions with a scale. Do you do this?

When I had weight to lose it just made me TOO hungry to exercise and diet at a high weight. It was annoying and exhausting. So I tested the theory of loss without exercise. It works. You still have to count your calories though.
Now at a lighter weight I actually like it.

What is your calorie level at now?
Do you think its a hydration issue? (can be with that type of diet)

This is big:
GIVE YOURSELF 3 MONTHS OF SOLID DEDICATION

You will not see results in weeks or a month all the time. Thats just the way it is.
And if you dramatically cut your cals your body is probably freaked out. You are only suppose to cut 1000 max.
500 regular.

I don't know what you weight is but a comfortable level to eat for me was the range BMR - Sedentary Maintenance level of cals. At that time you will shrink more in inches than on the scale. Its really good though for that hunger issue. I would get hunger surges after a large loss and it prevented me gaining back. I just got adjusted to the new level for my new weight.
I appreciate your good advice. As with exercise, because of my schedule, eating is a challenge for me. We really do not have the time to prepare meals at home that often, so eating on the run is very common. I have been avoiding all white bread like the plague. Usually, I will have a burger patty or a chicken breast once a day and I try to eat a salads but fast food salad is brutally awful, or a "naked drink" or a couple or oranges. Other than that, I might cook up some shrimp (no breading) or some beef jerky.

I don't drink soda, but I do drink a lot of water with lemon in it.

In the past I was eating probably about 2500 calories per day (I am 5'3" and weigh about 185") I have not checked, but I expect I am hitting around 1500 now, maybe a tad more.

That's pretty much my life, food wise.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 03:01 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I appreciate your good advice. As with exercise, because of my schedule, eating is a challenge for me. We really do not have the time to prepare meals at home that often, so eating on the run is very common. I have been avoiding all white bread like the plague. Usually, I will have a burger patty or a chicken breast once a day and I try to eat a salads but fast food salad is brutally awful, or a "naked drink" or a couple or oranges. Other than that, I might cook up some shrimp (no breading) or some beef jerky.

I don't drink soda, but I do drink a lot of water with lemon in it.

In the past I was eating probably about 2500 calories per day (I am 5'3" and weigh about 185") I have not checked, but I expect I am hitting around 1500 now, maybe a tad more.

That's pretty much my life, food wise.

20yrsinBranson
I would get one of those salad in the bag kits from the store and pair that with your protein. Its cheaper and you get a lot of volume + hydration. I can eat a whole one in a sitting. plus...its just as easy as grabbing a bag of chips. The tuna kits are good too for easy fixings. Those steamer bags also great to pair. Eat the whole thing just like the salad.

Sounds like you may of went a bit zealous with the cuts. Your BMR is about 1500. I would try to stay within 1500-1700 for awhile and see how you feel. You won't gain weight on that unless you have a metabolic disorder. You will have bloat days. Its just part of dieting. Don't get worked up over it. its why I suggested the spark because they have a graph where you can see your weight trendline drop despite incidental weight checks that are on the high side due to bloating.

Are you getting your minimum protein in? That can also make you hungry.

When you get hunger like that opt for a protein snack with a little fat while keeping your calories in check. Have at 8-16 oz of water with the snack. Skip the lemon on protein snack times. You want to avoid sugars when you feel that low hunger dip.

All that to go food does have a lot of sodium and corn syrup (even the meats) and that can trigger hunger in anyone. Review the content of those items and see if that is part of the problem.

Other to go snacks/quickies:
- protein bars
- nuts
- dried veggies
- meal replacements (watch the cals on this. GNC lean is the lowest cal one I know of)
- hard boiled eggs

Check you cals every day. Do it with the scale. Its so easy to over/under estimate what you are eating when your brain is on hunger distortion. Once you get into the happy place and find the habits that fit you it won't be so mechanical. It will start to become habitual naturally.
You will build a library of food choices that work for you. It takes time,but you have to put in the effort consistently and accurately.

Sometimes the general diet clean up works for some but not all. It only worked for me to a point and then I had to retrain my brain to proper portions and more balanced nutrition. Its definitely strange and maybe not easy but it is doable. It just takes time. Like everything else that is worth anything.

I don't have to eat like an angel or work out like mad. I just got to my goals inch by inch.
Time didn't matter.

There are fast food options out there. Its easier with bread that is for sure.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
There are some aspects of this that are correct. First of all, I am not, and have never been a fan of exercise. It is something that I really have to push myself to do and even then I hate every stinking minute of it. That being said, I do try to get some exercise and I know that I should and probably could get a little more if I really, really, REALLY worked at it. But it would take an EXTRAORDINARY effort to find enough time to make a difference, and I am frankly not up to knocking myself out to rearrange my schedule to do something that I absolutely detest.

Now then, with regard to diet. I have tried many different lifestyle changes as they pertain to diet. (I do not go on "diets" per se, but instead try to modify my eating habits). I have tried just about every version of "eating healthier", and none of them seem to help me. The poster who said that I might be insulin resistant may be correct, but I suffer badly from low blood sugar if I don't eat fairly regularly. I am not sure if that is a sign of IR or not. I've altered my eating habits to remove almost all refined foods, especially starchy foods like sugar, white bread, rice, etc. I have not noticed any significant difference in the way I feel, nor any reduction in weight.

By the way, with regards to exercise. In the past I have made a commitment to exercise. I promised myself I would run 4 times a week for 1 month, which I did. Not only did I not see any improvement in my weight at the end of the month, but I did not feel better *and* my hunger levels increased dramatically. It was an unbearable struggle to not eat significantly more food during this time. Also, historically, I have had very active jobs where I was physically active for 8 hours solid and my weight fluctuated very little probably less than 10 pounds during this time. Therefore, I am of the opinion that physical exercise is not the problem here. I think that it has something to do with what I am eating, and I am simply trying to find a solution so that I can eat relatively normally without suffering and still maintain a healthy weight.

20yrsinBranson
You sound a lot like me. I haven't found the solution either, but I don't think being hungry all the time is the answer. If it were, I'd already be thin because until recently I was on a very low calorie diet for about 10 years and never once managed to get into the healthy weight range for my height. I was also miserable; angry, tried, depressed, etc.

Have you read The Smarter Science of Slim? I haven't read it in a while but one of the basics is that it is the quality of your calories that matters much more than the quantity. If you are hungry all the time I take that as a signal that your body is not getting the nutrition that it needs so it is saying "EAT, EAT, EAT!!!" I don't think further caloric restriction is going to do anything good for you and, I would try just eating until you are satisfied. For at least a month don't count calories, but do stay focused on eating healthy foods (I think the Paleo diet is ideal for this). See what happens. There's actually a thread on Marks Daily Apple right now where someone is doing this and so far her results have been good. I'm following it will much interest because it is what I plan to do once I move and have access to a kitchen again.

I don't know if that helps but you're definitely not alone. Just the stress of your long work day could explain why you aren't seeing losses... I'm certain stress has a lot to do with why I'm not losing much weight. Weight Watchers certainly hasn't been working for me... I track like a crazy person, and for what?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
You sound a lot like me. I haven't found the solution either, but I don't think being hungry all the time is the answer. If it were, I'd already be thin because until recently I was on a very low calorie diet for about 10 years and never once managed to get into the healthy weight range for my height. I was also miserable; angry, tried, depressed, etc.

Have you read The Smarter Science of Slim? I haven't read it in a while but one of the basics is that it is the quality of your calories that matters much more than the quantity. If you are hungry all the time I take that as a signal that your body is not getting the nutrition that it needs so it is saying "EAT, EAT, EAT!!!" I don't think further caloric restriction is going to do anything good for you and, I would try just eating until you are satisfied. For at least a month don't count calories, but do stay focused on eating healthy foods (I think the Paleo diet is ideal for this). See what happens. There's actually a thread on Marks Daily Apple right now where someone is doing this and so far her results have been good. I'm following it will much interest because it is what I plan to do once I move and have access to a kitchen again.

I don't know if that helps but you're definitely not alone. Just the stress of your long work day could explain why you aren't seeing losses... I'm certain stress has a lot to do with why I'm not losing much weight. Weight Watchers certainly hasn't been working for me... I track like a crazy person, and for what?
I'll give it a try. Thank you for the information. I am very relieved to know that it isn't just me. Thanks!

20yrsinbranson

Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:

By the way, with regards to exercise. In the past I have made a commitment to exercise. I promised myself I would run 4 times a week for 1 month, which I did. Not only did I not see any improvement in my weight at the end of the month, but I did not feel better *and* my hunger levels increased dramatically. It was an unbearable struggle to not eat significantly more food during this time. Also, historically, I have had very active jobs where I was physically active for 8 hours solid and my weight fluctuated very little probably less than 10 pounds during this time. Therefore, I am of the opinion that physical exercise is not the problem here. I think that it has something to do with what I am eating, and I am simply trying to find a solution so that I can eat relatively normally without suffering and still maintain a healthy weight.

You're not getting enough exercise. Just moving around and doing physical activities won't do squat for many people. I gained a lot of weight after my knee surgery, and all that time I was gaining weight I was also doing physical therapy everyday! Everyday for over an hour of exercise each day! But I still gained weight. Why did I gain weight despite over an hour of physical therapy each day? Because the exercise I was prescribed was of the low impact variety meant to strengthen my surgically repaired leg, in other words they aren't real exercise, more like movement.

I have since lost 2/3 of the weight that I gained.... by doing real exercise. I'm talking intense endurance training that makes a person soaking with sweat after each session, six times a week for an hour or more each day and for months.

You need to realize that running four times a week is the minimum of exercise for most people. To really push it and lose those pounds you need to really put a shock to your system. Now, don't go from 0 to 10 - gradually work yourself into good enough shape for you to push it; but get off your butt and work.

Just to give you an idea - before my injury I play two hours of soccer twice a week, snowboard or surf once a week, and hit the gym three to four times a week. I'd say that's just a normal amount of exercise, it kept me fit but far from having a hard body. People who really trains themselves for the bulging arms and six packs, they hit the gym 5-6 times a week for almost two hours each, plus other cardio activities like biking, running, swimming, yoga, etc. I know marathon runners who run 3 miles every weekday and then do a 10 miles on weekends. Yes, the human body needs a lot of exercise.

Also, if you're staving yourself you're doing it all wrong. Don't worry about the increased appetite after exercise; as long as you eat healthy its all good. Just keep working and you'll lose the pounds.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,804 times
Hey, Kim in FL, I lost 20 pounds without even TRYING.. and with NO excersize the first few months...and I'm only 5'1".
I only added the excersize after I found the time in my schedule and pretty much AFTER I lost most of the weight.
I only counted calories on fast days to stay under the 500 calorie "limit" for a modified fast.
Trust me, 500 calories ain't much, but the hunger passes after a couple of hours.
You are SO terribly judgmental and presume that all people's metabolism, endocrinology, biology and body chemistry are the same. They are not. And all calories are not the same either.
Get off your high horse and be a compassionate human being.
You might find it's as good, or better, than excersize.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
And I have lost 60 lbs. doing moderate exercise and major diet modification.....sweat soaking exercise? Never.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I really feel your pain, 20yrsinBranson. I've tried seemingly everything with no results too. I've done every wacky diet out there, I've used drugs, I log food on SparkPeople, I'm currently doing Weight Watchers, I gave up wheat and grains. Basically, if you can name it, I've tried it. I was especially disappointed with Wheat Belly since it seems like EVERYONE that follows the plan loses weight. Everyone but me. I only eat single ingredient foods (fruits, veggies, meat, limited dairy) and I track everything through Weight Watchers. I have had no success. I'll lose 5 pounds and then gain 6 in a single day, lose those 6, repeat. It's ridiculous and depressing.

The only thing that has ever worked for me was phentermine. Of course your body becomes used to that after awhile and it doesn't work. So, it's temporary at best, and I never got to my actual goal weight anyway.

Personally, I have given up trying to lose weight. I stick with whole foods because I believe it is the healthiest diet out there. Being overweight is just as good as things are going to get for me. Oh well. At least I have some intelligence to fall back on... I certainly don't have looks.
I had an eating disorder for most of my life...I weighed on average 95 lbs/5"8 for many of those years. It will always be a problem for me. I just want to say...enjoy your life! Quit worrying about your weight! It is hopeless because you will never get to where you want to be...there will always be another size or number. Eat smaller meals and walk. Carpe diem!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You're not getting enough exercise. Just moving around and doing physical activities won't do squat for many people. I gained a lot of weight after my knee surgery, and all that time I was gaining weight I was also doing physical therapy everyday! Everyday for over an hour of exercise each day! But I still gained weight. Why did I gain weight despite over an hour of physical therapy each day? Because the exercise I was prescribed was of the low impact variety meant to strengthen my surgically repaired leg, in other words they aren't real exercise, more like movement.

I have since lost 2/3 of the weight that I gained.... by doing real exercise. I'm talking intense endurance training that makes a person soaking with sweat after each session, six times a week for an hour or more each day and for months.

You need to realize that running four times a week is the minimum of exercise for most people. To really push it and lose those pounds you need to really put a shock to your system. Now, don't go from 0 to 10 - gradually work yourself into good enough shape for you to push it; but get off your butt and work.

Just to give you an idea - before my injury I play two hours of soccer twice a week, snowboard or surf once a week, and hit the gym three to four times a week. I'd say that's just a normal amount of exercise, it kept me fit but far from having a hard body. People who really trains themselves for the bulging arms and six packs, they hit the gym 5-6 times a week for almost two hours each, plus other cardio activities like biking, running, swimming, yoga, etc. I know marathon runners who run 3 miles every weekday and then do a 10 miles on weekends. Yes, the human body needs a lot of exercise.

Also, if you're staving yourself you're doing it all wrong. Don't worry about the increased appetite after exercise; as long as you eat healthy its all good. Just keep working and you'll lose the pounds.
I work 10 - 12 hours a day with a one hour (each way) commute. This leaves me with 12-14 hours total, 8 of which I am sleeping and two of which I am getting ready for work. This leaves me 2 hours a day to do everything that I need to do including, driving to the post office to get the mail, shopping for food and other necessities, cooking, cleaning, changing sheets, doing laundry, feeding the cats, washing my car, taking out the trash, etc. On my day off (Monday), I have to do *everything* else. If you can find some time for me to "hit the gym three or four times a week", doing two hours of cardio each and swimming, running, yoga, etc., please share that secret with me because you have managed to alter the time/space continuum.

In short, I have a busy life. How I wish I were able to devote umpteen hours of my day to *ME* and *ME ALONE*, but until such time, if any, that I no longer own my own business, that's not realistic.

But thanks anyway.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Hey, Kim in FL, I lost 20 pounds without even TRYING.. and with NO excersize the first few months...and I'm only 5'1".
I only added the excersize after I found the time in my schedule and pretty much AFTER I lost most of the weight.
I only counted calories on fast days to stay under the 500 calorie "limit" for a modified fast.
Trust me, 500 calories ain't much, but the hunger passes after a couple of hours.
You are SO terribly judgmental and presume that all people's metabolism, endocrinology, biology and body chemistry are the same. They are not. And all calories are not the same either.
Get off your high horse and be a compassionate human being.
You might find it's as good, or better, than excersize.

You're an idiot for going a 500 calorie a day diet. The effect on your brain cells is evident.

Whoa there, Nellie......I'm not the one whining about being fat and no diet working for me. And it is as simple as diet and excerise...anything else is just an excuse not to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss