Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Are you sure you are getting enough nutrients from a wide variety of fresh vegetables? Lack of proper nutrients may be effecting your disposition & ability to focus.
Good point. I don't think I'd feel very good if all (or most of what) I ate was a bunch of meat. You definitely need lots and lots of veggies, too. And I prefer low sugar fruit - like strawberries and raspberries which have quite a bit of fiber in them, too. Nuts and seeds are also good, just don't overdo them because it's easy to! And cheese, gotta have cheese (maybe not the absolute healthiest thing, but sooo good). You can also bulk up your turkey meatloaf/meatballs with oats instead of breadcrumbs, egg white instead of whole egg, fresh herbs instead of dried - yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Kim in FL..
"You're an idiot for going a 500 calorie a day diet. The effect on your brain cells is evident."

Really? Have you read the thrust of my posts on this forum? I never said I did 500 cal/day every day.
You are nasty, rude little sucker. I happen to play Contract Bridge and Chess - quite well.
I taught myself computer programming (at IBM's request) many years ago and had a hugely successful career in IT.
I have retired - early - to a very comfortable life and have no need for the approval of fools like you.
Are you trying to impress me? It's not working.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:17 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:
Dried vegetables as in vegetable chips? Sometimes those contain lots of fat...are you reading labels and looking at the fat/protein/carb numbers and how big a serving is?
I dont think I've heard of dried vegtables before. Dried fruit, yes, but veggies?

Anyone?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
I use dried vegetables in my light-weight backpacking foods. They are just vegetables, dried. But for high nutritional value, I use a wide-variety of fresh.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You need to find something you CAN do and quit focusing on what you CAN'T.

The first thing you need to do is find out exactly how many calories you're eating a day. Write down everything you eat. Get the book Calorie King..gives you a break down of just about every food out there. Be honest with your food diary. I think you're eating a lot more than you think.

Get a cooler and start packing your meals and snacks and eat only those. Stay out of restaurants. Stay out of fast food places, stay out of gas stations, stay out of anywhere where you might be tempted to eat something.

You own your own business? Good. That means you set the hours you work...adjust your schedule. Hire someone to work partime even for 1-2 hrs a day so you can get 'your' time in.

This isn't impossible...I just think you're focusing your attention in the wrong direction.
First of all, my business is small and I cannot, nor do I wish to hire someone else. My husband and I work the business together (he opens and I close). The only way that we can ensure that our customers receive the level of customer service that we require is to work the business ourselves. So your brilliant idea to hire someone is out of the question.

Secondly, since I am very rarely home to prepare food, where to you presume I find the time to "fill my cooler?" And more importantly, where would I keep this cooler during the day when it is 110 degrees outside? I eat at restaurants and fast food places all the time because.....I DON'T HAVE THE TIME.....to prepare meals, pack them into a cooler and cart them all over hell's half acre with me. What is it about a "busy lifestyle" that you don't understand, Kim. Yes, it's possible but it is not practical. I am required to be somewhere at a specific time EVERY SINGLE DAY, and work there for 10-12 hours. No breaks, no lunch hours, no dinner hours, JUST WORK. I can't eat a big meal while I am working, so I have to eat small snacks, often I have carrots and celery but usually it is something like peanut butter or beef jerky.

What is it about people who refuse to understand that they do not have the LUXURY of doing whatever they want to do whenever they want to do it? I am trying to find a way to fit healthy habits INTO MY EXISTING lifstyle. NOT change my lifestyle to accommodate what you or anyone else thinks I should do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Are you sure you are getting enough nutrients from a wide variety of fresh vegetables? Lack of proper nutrients may be effecting your disposition & ability to focus.
That is possible because I am not a big veggie fan. I do take vitamin supplements but I know that doesn't replace real food.

20yrsinbranson

Old 03-08-2013, 02:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Natural Dried Fruits and Vegetables - Just Tomatoes, Etc.!

You can buy online, amazon, whole foods (places like that), larger grocery stores sometimes.

Fat calories are nominal being that its air dried. Organic selections too.

This brand too:
Crunchies Freeze-Dried Snack, Roasted Veggies, 2.25-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

You could also buy a food dehydrator and make them yourself. If your dry fruit in those dehydrators the house smells amazing. I love putting cinnamon on apple chips before drying. The veggies are more like chips than veggies to me texture wise.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
First of all, my business is small and I cannot, nor do I wish to hire someone else. My husband and I work the business together (he opens and I close). The only way that we can ensure that our customers receive the level of customer service that we require is to work the business ourselves. So your brilliant idea to hire someone is out of the question.

Secondly, since I am very rarely home to prepare food, where to you presume I find the time to "fill my cooler?" And more importantly, where would I keep this cooler during the day when it is 110 degrees outside? I eat at restaurants and fast food places all the time because.....I DON'T HAVE THE TIME.....to prepare meals, pack them into a cooler and cart them all over hell's half acre with me. What is it about a "busy lifestyle" that you don't understand, Kim. Yes, it's possible but it is not practical. I am required to be somewhere at a specific time EVERY SINGLE DAY, and work there for 10-12 hours. No breaks, no lunch hours, no dinner hours, JUST WORK. I can't eat a big meal while I am working, so I have to eat small snacks, often I have carrots and celery but usually it is something like peanut butter or beef jerky.

What is it about people who refuse to understand that they do not have the LUXURY of doing whatever they want to do whenever they want to do it? I am trying to find a way to fit healthy habits INTO MY EXISTING lifstyle. NOT change my lifestyle to accommodate what you or anyone else thinks I should do.

20yrsinBranson
So you can't have a little mini fridge and a microwave at your office?

You say you have NO time to cook - so you drive to, order, sit down and eat in restaurants/fast food places. Yet, throwing a 30 minute meal together that will last you several days is too time consuming an effort?

I'm sorry 20. But I think you need to figure out what exactly your priorities are. Nobody can do this for you...it's hard enough to do it for ourselves to be quite honest.

(BTW - there was a time when I worked 12 hr days/6 days a week AND went to school part time - I know a little something about hectic schedules.)

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-08-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Your life is much like mine. But, I also see a lot of excuses and justifications.

The simple fact of losing weight is consume less than you expend. I suggest making breakfast your main meal of the day, I eat scrambled eggs, with mushrooms, onions, pepperz, salsa. Only one yolk. My lunch . A chocolate protein shake, pre made. And water. Dinner is a salad. I buy kale salad mix at Costco. I make my "veggie" mix for breakfast one time a week, and add it to the eggs. Snacks are fruit. No bread, pasta, or dairy products. No fast food. If I eat out, it is a small dinner salad.

Yes, you can do this diet with a spouse. He can have bread, meat, potatoes. .you dont eat those things, or just have a small bite or two, and your salad.

Exercise. 15 minutes in morning do a routine of sit ups, crunches, basic calisthenics. Include doing a plank for 2 minutes. Do same routine when you come home. That is 30 minutes a day...no gym...no fancy equipment, just self discipline. Add a few dumbbells or a kettle bell for variety.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Again...more excuses. More of what you CAN'T do or WON'T do, but nothing of what you COULD do. You are the only one that can make the changes in your life that need to be made. You've gotten excellent advice here and all you can say is " it won't work" "I can't do that" " I won't do this" " I wont' do that". I

Right now you're obese. It's not pretty. Inside or out. I wouldn't be surprised you have high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and horrible cholesterol...all of these things can be controlled by diet and excerise.

Good luck to you...when you decide that you're worth these changes, let us know. Until then...dont' know what to tell ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss