Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So if it's happening to you, then you need to a) make sure everything is medically hunky dory and then b) rev up your exercise routine, and watch your portion sizes, especially with regards to starch and sugar. Unless there's some medical reason to eliminate starch and sugar, don't eliminate them. But - do start paying closer attention to the quantity, and adjust downward. Use the mirror as your guide. If cutting out 1 piece of bread daily for a couple of weeks doesn't solve the problem, then cut out 1 piece of bread and 1 sweetened latte per day for a couple more weeks. If THAT doesn't solve the problem, cut out 1 piece of bread, and switch from cold cereal in the morning, to 1 egg or a banana and a little pudding cup of cottage cheese, AND only have 1 cup of coffee when you get up, and no other sugared drink for the rest of the day. And see if THAT doesn't solve the problem after a couple of weeks.

In other words - you don't have to make sudden, abrupt, drastic changes that make you feel like you're depriving yourself. You can ease into it, as long as you don't have any medical issues that require an abrupt change.
Good points! The only thing I would change is eliminating more sugar from your diet. If you do cut out most sugar, you will start to not like sweet things. Sugar in coffee and tea is a good place to start. Another is cereal and yogurt. Start checking food labels and learn how much sugar is in the products you are buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM

88,526 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The reality is different than your perception. Here's the reality:

You cannot use the exact same diet and exercise routine that you used when you were younger, to expect the same results as when you were younger. You are not younger. Your hormones have changed, and so has the rest of your body. You have to keep up with the changes.

It only takes longer, if you continue doing what you were doing 20 years ago. If you adjust to accommodate the changes in your body as a result of the aging process (especially for women), it won't take any longer at all.

Your body no longer produces the same amount of collagen; your skin is less elastic than it used to be, and is thinned out somewhat. The fat stores immediately under your skin have shifted, your bones and muscles are not as able to handle the same physical stress as they used to handle. Your metabolism has changed, and your body is basically just - slowing down. This is why a lot of people who never had a weight problem growing up, start having one after they turn 30, and some after they turn 40, and some start noticing a shift in their body shape around the time of menapause.

So if it's happening to you, then you need to a) make sure everything is medically hunky dory and then b) rev up your exercise routine, and watch your portion sizes, especially with regards to starch and sugar. Unless there's some medical reason to eliminate starch and sugar, don't eliminate them. But - do start paying closer attention to the quantity, and adjust downward. Use the mirror as your guide. If cutting out 1 piece of bread daily for a couple of weeks doesn't solve the problem, then cut out 1 piece of bread and 1 sweetened latte per day for a couple more weeks. If THAT doesn't solve the problem, cut out 1 piece of bread, and switch from cold cereal in the morning, to 1 egg or a banana and a little pudding cup of cottage cheese, AND only have 1 cup of coffee when you get up, and no other sugared drink for the rest of the day. And see if THAT doesn't solve the problem after a couple of weeks.

In other words - you don't have to make sudden, abrupt, drastic changes that make you feel like you're depriving yourself. You can ease into it, as long as you don't have any medical issues that require an abrupt change.
I think you might be confusing me with someone else, as I don't drink any sugared drinks, rarely eat cold cereal or bread and pretty much am already doing everything you preach. And I've never drunk anything called a "latte" in my life, sweetened or otherwise, lol. But thanks for taking the time to write it all out--it's good, basic information that someone could use.

I'm satisfied with the way things are working right now and don't really have a problem. Was just trying to encourage the OP. When I referred to what worked when I was young, that was "cut out breakfast for a week and five pounds will fall off." I was not overweight when I was young. Obviously that's not going to work for anyone in their fifties, and isn't really a good idea in the first place at any age. Balanced, regular meals, especially smaller meals at a time, will help much more.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM

88,526 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Good points! The only thing I would change is eliminating more sugar from your diet. If you do cut out most sugar, you will start to not like sweet things. Sugar in coffee and tea is a good place to start. Another is cereal and yogurt. Start checking food labels and learn how much sugar is in the products you are buying.
Again, I don't put sugar in coffee and very rarely eat cereal. Making wild assumptions about what people eat without asking is not helpful.

But once, again, I was not asking for help. Looking to encourage the OP, who seems to have not returned to the conversation, by addressing some of the emotional stumbling blocks that can sidetrack weight loss, and I think that point was lost in everyone's eagerness to share what they know.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-05-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you might be confusing me with someone else, as I don't drink any sugared drinks, rarely eat cold cereal or bread and pretty much am already doing everything you preach. And I've never drunk anything called a "latte" in my life, sweetened or otherwise, lol. But thanks for taking the time to write it all out--it's good, basic information that someone could use.

I'm satisfied with the way things are working right now and don't really have a problem. Was just trying to encourage the OP. When I referred to what worked when I was young, that was "cut out breakfast for a week and five pounds will fall off." I was not overweight when I was young. Obviously that's not going to work for anyone in their fifties, and isn't really a good idea in the first place at any age. Balanced, regular meals, especially smaller meals at a time, will help much more.
I was using a "generic you" to explain why the "it's harder to lose weight when you get older" is more of a perception than a reality. Because you (the generic you, not you specifically) have hormonal changes that need to be accommodated and if you (the generic you) are trying to lose weight the same way you did (hypothetically) when you were 20, then yes, you'll find it taking a lot longer.

The examples were just examples, to demonstrate the point that "what you did at 20 won't do the same now." So in your case, you weren't even overweight in your 20's, and therefore probably weren't dieting at all, and eating what you wanted to eat. And now - in your 50's - you can't do that anymore, because you'll gain weight.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am so sick and tired of trying to lose weight with no success. I have tried cutting my calories, cutting my carbs, "eating several small meals a day", and still nothing works.

Because of a very demanding schedule, finding time to exercise is very challenging. But I have been trying to walk every day, and move more. Still nothing works. Nothing. nada.

It really gets depressing after awhile.

20yrsinBranson
Have you actually tried counting your calories you eat? If you havent, even though you think you are eating less you may be surprised at what you find.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Have you actually tried counting your calories you eat? If you havent, even though you think you are eating less you may be surprised at what you find.
I was just thinking the same thing. You need to be actively aware of how many calories you consume co pared toow many you burn. The less you eat andthe more you burn will cause you to drop the pounds. But clearly what you are doing now is not working. Sounds to me like walking isnt enough. Get more cardio in. If you can walk for a certain amount of time each day start running instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss