Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
That is not healthy in any way, shape or form. No wonder you feel the way you feel, you've thrown your whole system out of whack. How many calories a day were you consuming? If it was less than 1200, that's too low and you'll end up gaining everything plus back. Slow and steady is the way to go with weight lose.

You can't prepare your own food? Why? I'm not being snarky, I'm asking a serious question. Why can't you buy whole foods and cook them yourself?
Because she works 32970 hours per week, doesn't get bathroom breaks, stands still at a counter at her store 24/7, isn't allowed time off to sleep, works 9 days per week, with no vacation, no sick time, and even if she were allowed to sleep she'd have to curl up on the floor behind the counter so that the store would still function - it isn't capable of functioning if she's not there because no one in the entire known world is good enough to work a few hours, which would be what she needs to get some time off to cook.

Okay so I'm exaggerating the actual information but here's what she claims:

She works at a store that she and her spouse own. She MUST be there more than full-time, she CANNOT take breaks, she only goes home to sleep, she has NO time off for herself, except once per week. During that day off per week, for some reason, she has chosen to -not- cook a week's worth of lunches and put them in the freezer, or exercise. I -think- I remember her saying that they can't afford to hire an assistant, which was why it was just the two of them running the store with no help at all.

But basically her reasoning is: she has no time. She claims she posts from her store, which looks like a whole lot, at scattered times of the day - if she has that little to do while she's at the store, then maybe they should reduce the hours they're open. And if they do that, she'll have plenty of time to cook and exercise. It's like - weight-based munchausens. She created a situation in which she is overweight and miserable, and refuses to change the situation, because if she did that, she wouldn't be able to justify being overweight and miserable anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:
except that to me eating vegetables and eating fruit is not a pleasant experience. If someone told you that, in order to be healthy, you had to eat a big bowl of steaming hot dog poop every day, would you do it? Even if it meant life or death? No, you would't. Well when I look at vegetables and fruit, I see a steaming bowl of dog poop.
LOL...this answers the question. If you eliminate fruit and vegtables from your diet whats left? Meat, cheese & dairy, pasta, baked stuff.

Essentially Pizza, but without the green pepper and olive toppings since they are >ick< vegtables. sort of.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Can you imagine someone whos sense of taste is so screwed up that eating an apple, orange or a cucumber is NOT a pleasant experience?

Sad.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
But basically her reasoning is: she has no time. She claims she posts from her store, which looks like a whole lot, at scattered times of the day - if she has that little to do while she's at the store, then maybe they should reduce the hours they're open. And if they do that, she'll have plenty of time to cook and exercise. It's like - weight-based munchausens. She created a situation in which she is overweight and miserable, and refuses to change the situation, because if she did that, she wouldn't be able to justify being overweight and miserable anymore.
Yep - like so many that come here theoretically asking for "help" - what they are actually doing is letting us know they are overweight and that their life circumstances don't allow them to change the status quo. They want validation that they are incapable to making changes to their lifestyle.

I totally understand being very busy and tired and not wanting to exercise - I rarely "want" to exercise and sometimes I am very tired but I do it anyway...it ends up energizing me and helping me sleep better and just overall feel and look better.

Human beings are amazing - when they want to get something done under adverse circumstances, they usually can do it - but the operative word here is "want"....if we really don't want to do something we know we should, we can come up with a million excuses for not doing it.

I found all this out when my kids were teenagers - enlightening experience.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yep - like so many that come here theoretically asking for "help" - what they are actually doing is letting us know they are overweight and that their life circumstances don't allow them to change the status quo. They want validation that they are incapable to making changes to their lifestyle.

I totally understand being very busy and tired and not wanting to exercise - I rarely "want" to exercise and sometimes I am very tired but I do it anyway...it ends up energizing me and helping me sleep better and just overall feel and look better.

Human beings are amazing - when they want to get something done under adverse circumstances, they usually can do it - but the operative word here is "want"....if we really don't want to do something we know we should, we can come up with a million excuses for not doing it.

I found all this out when my kids were teenagers - enlightening experience.

I'm ending my shift soon and I've walked 12 miles so far. I'm heading straight to the gym after this. I'd rather go home, plop on the couch and read a good book. However, I like being healthy and I like being in shape so I'm heading to the gym and then plopping on the couch.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
Eliminate PUFAs (omega 3 & 6), eat plenty of protein, use grains moderately and obtain most carbs from fruit. Use coconut oil to help boost the thyroid. Exercise moderately. If none of this helps, you have a thyroid problem and need to go on hormone replacement. If you are over 35, you may need progesterone also.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Eliminate PUFAs (omega 3 & 6), eat plenty of protein, use grains moderately and obtain most carbs from fruit. Use coconut oil to help boost the thyroid. Exercise moderately. If none of this helps, you have a thyroid problem and need to go on hormone replacement. If you are over 35, you may need progesterone also.
I guess you didn't bother reading ANY of the OP's posts in this thread. Here's a short summary:

The OP doesn't LIKE fruit.
The OP doesn't cook, and doesn't prepare uncooked meals at home, and neither does anyone in her household.
The OP plans on continuing to eat take-out.
The OP doesn't have time to work out, or exercise at all, let alone moderately.
The OP has no intention of changing her lifestyle, which involves spending most of her waking hours standing at a counter at the store she co-owns.

Therefore - she won't be getting ANY carbs from fruit. She won't be exercising at all. She WILL be eating tons of grains. If her take-out foods contain tons of omega oils, she will also be eating tons of that. If not, then no, she won't. Because she doesn't exercise at all, there's no point to her consuming massive quantities of protein. 50 grams a day for an INactive middle-aged female, is sufficient.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I guess you didn't bother reading ANY of the OP's posts in this thread. Here's a short summary:

The OP doesn't LIKE fruit.
The OP doesn't cook, and doesn't prepare uncooked meals at home, and neither does anyone in her household.
The OP plans on continuing to eat take-out.
The OP doesn't have time to work out, or exercise at all, let alone moderately.
The OP has no intention of changing her lifestyle, which involves spending most of her waking hours standing at a counter at the store she co-owns.

Therefore - she won't be getting ANY carbs from fruit. She won't be exercising at all. She WILL be eating tons of grains. If her take-out foods contain tons of omega oils, she will also be eating tons of that. If not, then no, she won't. Because she doesn't exercise at all, there's no point to her consuming massive quantities of protein. 50 grams a day for an INactive middle-aged female, is sufficient.
Just a note about your response. At this point in my life I do not have the luxury of choice. I do what I do in order to have a successful business. One day I will not have to work this hard and will be able to do things in more moderation, but until that happens, I am pretty much locked into my lifestyle.

The reason that I started this thread is that I was looking for some advice how to fit more healthy choices into my current life, not to be inundated by criticisms on the limitations that I currently am forced to live with.

Thanks to those who have been helpful and understanding with my situation. To the others, well...

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Are you having any other symptoms? I could not lose weight and my doctor started asking me other questions, ie tired, loss of hair, dry skin, etc. I thought all those other "symptoms" was me just getting older but it was actually a medical problem.

I got blood tests for my Thyroid which was way out of whack! The thyroid is the hormone regulator of the body. I now take medication everyday and in the last few months I have lost 11 pounds and still going.

Do an internet search for Thyroid - many forms, can either be very underweight, hypothyroidism is where you gain weight. Worth investigating if you are having some of those other symptoms. There is about 20 or so symptoms so have a read.
My thyroid is massively enlarged plus has three large nodules on it, one of which measures 6.5 cm and covers one whole side of the thyroid. I was desperately hoping that I had hypothyroidism like my mother and sister so that I could lay some of the weight gain on the thyroid, but NOOOOOOOO, the thyroid hormone levels are just fine. I am just fat because I ate too much and now I have a big lumpy neck to boot.

It's worth getting tested for, though. Just a blood test.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Just a note about your response. At this point in my life I do not have the luxury of choice. I do what I do in order to have a successful business. One day I will not have to work this hard and will be able to do things in more moderation, but until that happens, I am pretty much locked into my lifestyle.

The reason that I started this thread is that I was looking for some advice how to fit more healthy choices into my current life, not to be inundated by criticisms on the limitations that I currently am forced to live with.

Thanks to those who have been helpful and understanding with my situation. To the others, well...

20yrsinBranson
What part of your forced, locked-in lifestyle that you have no choice to endure, requires that you not eat fruit?

What part of your forced, locked-in lifestyle that you have no choice to endure, requires that you (or someone else in your household) not spend one day per week cooking meals that can be frozen in single-serve portions, thawed out, and nuked so that you can eat it instead of eating whatever you are currently eating, when you're eating it, at lunch time?

What part of this forced lifestyle requires that you not do squats and leg lifts and jogging in place right behind your store's counter during lulls in business when there aren't any customers for a minute here and a minute there?

There is nothing you're doing, that thousands of store-owners all over the world aren't doing. Except - thousands of store-owners don't have weight problems like you do, and thousands of store-owners don't justify bad eating habits by using their jobs as an excuse. Thousands of store-owners still MAKE time to eat healthy, cook meals at home, take leftovers to work, make healthy sandwiches in the morning when the leftovers run out, bring a piece of fruit to work and eat it as a snack so that when lunchtime rolls around they aren't stuffing themselves sick with crap from the local take-out.

Keep making excuses. Let us know how much weight they make you lose, in another month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss