Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:44 PM

689 posts, read 973,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Just curious...how many pages of thread have you read? If you haven't read all of them, do so and then come back and comment.

It can't get any simpler than 'Eat Less, Move More'
Yes Kim, I've read the entire thread, and if you remember, I said you were incredibly mean-spirited way back on page 10. I still stand by that comment, just to be clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Yes Kim, I've read the entire thread, and if you remember, I said you were incredibly mean-spirited way back on page 10. I still stand by that comment, just to be clear.

Like I really care what you think of me ...I think it's funny that you get your knickers in such a knot because you know I'm right.

So after reading this whole thread all you can come with is that we are ganging up on the OP? Really? No comment on the excuse after excuse as to why she can't eat healthy or exercise?

Look, if she wants to be a fatty for the rest of her life, so be it...that's her business. Just don't come here crying and moaning about how you've tried diet after diet and nothing is working.....she's not doing anything, that's why it's not working. duh.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Counting down the seconds till this thread gets closed. . .

Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Counting down the seconds till this thread gets closed. . .

It should have been closed a long time ago. The OP has gotten more than enough helpful responses...now it's up to her to make those changes in her life.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is HARD to lose weight when you are older, and it can get discouraging. I'm disappointed with how long it is taking, but I guess that's the way it is at this age. When I was young and wanted to drop five pounds, I just skipped breakfast for a week and it fell off. Now I am cutting out certain things, eating smaller portions, and for the first time in my life I've stuck to going to a gym and I go at least three times a week. Now that it's FINALLY nice out here in Jersey, I've been going for long walks on the trails at the local parks on weekends, too.

After three months...I've lost 11 whole pounds. It would be so easy to say "screw it" and just quit...but I have to get this fat off of me or I'll just get bigger and bigger. I've changed my way of thinking--I figure if I lose 11 pounds every three months, that's 44 pounds at the end of a year, and if that's the way it is, that's the way it is. It also takes some mental/emotional talking to oneself. I have very long hours of work, live alone, and don't have much to look forward to in the way of pleasurable activities so food became the main thing that gives me some enjoyment, something to look forward to when I got home. I had to work very hard to get myself into the mindset that food is for nourishment only and that it is not really something to rely on for my enjoyment. That thinking helps when I'm genuinely hungry and dying for something really good to eat and I know have to eat that friggin' salad instead. The salad will stop the hunger pains, which is the mission, and the desire for something tastier will diminish as a result. I know that now, and so I eat the damn salad. Most of the time, anyway!
It is no harder to lose weight when you are older unless you have a medical condition or injury that makes it difficult to exercise. The problem that older people have is they have lost most of any muscle mass they once had. They have also accumulated a lot of fat over the years that is difficult to lose in a short period of time or before they get discouraged with dieting and exercise. I'm 58 and exercise a lot and have never been on a diet. When I start gaining weight, I make adjustments in my diet to eliminate certain foods and how much I eat.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It is no harder to lose weight when you are older unless you have a medical condition or injury that makes it difficult to exercise. The problem that older people have is they have lost most of any muscle mass they once had. They have also accumulated a lot of fat over the years that is difficult to lose in a short period of time or before they get discouraged with dieting and exercise. I'm 58 and exercise a lot and have never been on a diet. When I start gaining weight, I make adjustments in my diet to eliminate certain foods and how much I eat.

excellent post...you're dead on!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My plate full of leaves starts with a base of raw spinage, red cabbage, grated carrets, sliced onion, olives, surrounded on the rim with cherry tommatoes, supplemented with either an apple, banana, or an orange or sometime all three. From time to time I may change the lineup, add some kale or some other kind of lettuce. So many vegetable out there to give a salad variety. You can add spices to that as well or if you want, grilled chicken works for some protien.
Yes, I know how to make different types of salad, thanks.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
excellent post...you're dead on!
I disagree. My personal experience is that it takes longer and more work to lose weight as quickly as was possible decades ago. I shall plod on, though! As long as it keeps going down and not up, it's all good.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I disagree. My personal experience is that it takes longer and more work to lose weight as quickly as was possible decades ago. I shall plod on, though! As long as it keeps going down and not up, it's all good.
The reality is different than your perception. Here's the reality:

You cannot use the exact same diet and exercise routine that you used when you were younger, to expect the same results as when you were younger. You are not younger. Your hormones have changed, and so has the rest of your body. You have to keep up with the changes.

It only takes longer, if you continue doing what you were doing 20 years ago. If you adjust to accommodate the changes in your body as a result of the aging process (especially for women), it won't take any longer at all.

Your body no longer produces the same amount of collagen; your skin is less elastic than it used to be, and is thinned out somewhat. The fat stores immediately under your skin have shifted, your bones and muscles are not as able to handle the same physical stress as they used to handle. Your metabolism has changed, and your body is basically just - slowing down. This is why a lot of people who never had a weight problem growing up, start having one after they turn 30, and some after they turn 40, and some start noticing a shift in their body shape around the time of menapause.

So if it's happening to you, then you need to a) make sure everything is medically hunky dory and then b) rev up your exercise routine, and watch your portion sizes, especially with regards to starch and sugar. Unless there's some medical reason to eliminate starch and sugar, don't eliminate them. But - do start paying closer attention to the quantity, and adjust downward. Use the mirror as your guide. If cutting out 1 piece of bread daily for a couple of weeks doesn't solve the problem, then cut out 1 piece of bread and 1 sweetened latte per day for a couple more weeks. If THAT doesn't solve the problem, cut out 1 piece of bread, and switch from cold cereal in the morning, to 1 egg or a banana and a little pudding cup of cottage cheese, AND only have 1 cup of coffee when you get up, and no other sugared drink for the rest of the day. And see if THAT doesn't solve the problem after a couple of weeks.

In other words - you don't have to make sudden, abrupt, drastic changes that make you feel like you're depriving yourself. You can ease into it, as long as you don't have any medical issues that require an abrupt change.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
If you are going to do this weight loss thing lets set some boundaries.

1. Forget calling it a diet or a weight loss thing. Get that mentality out of your life.

2. Replace that with lifestyle. You will be creating a new lifestyle that is all yours and part of who you are.

3. Lets start small and get some results now. For now we will forget about how much weight you lose or getting a drastic change in life. Lets make this easy.

4. Simple rules to live by.

Step 1. Do not eat before 7am or eat after 7pm. Eat what ever you want but not outside of that time frame. Learn this trick now. Live by it. Get good at it. Do not do anything else till you get this one trick down. For now eat anything that you want, just make sure that it is only between the hours of 7am and 7pm. For those that work nights feel free to change the times to 7pm and 7am. Do this till you get it down and stop eating out side of the time frame. Stay within the 12 hour time frame before moving on.

Step 2. Have a big healthy breakfast. I usually eat 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 - 4inch long kilbasa sausages, a cup and a half of cut up grilled potatoes with onions and peppers. I may have some granola with that as well. You can choose the food that would work for you. Do that untill you get it down. Remember, make each step a part of your life before moving on to the next step.

Step 3. Replace lunch with a large salad. You can eat as much raw vegetables and fruits for lunch as you like. The more the better. If you have to use dressing try a lighter version or something without milk products.

Step 4. Replace dinner with a healthy dinner. No man made stuff here. No processed stuff here, raw food but have some mear with it, fish, chicken. Grilled is better but have fun. So many more choices out there than fried and many of those choices are just as fun.

Step 5. Replace sugary drinks with water. To do this I made a goal of drinking water all day long and still said i would drink my Pepsi. What happened is that I started only wanting the water. What I am saying is not to give up on your sugary drink of choice, just add water during the day. I drink 6 to 8, 20 ounce bottles of water a day. I refill the same bottle. What had happened is that my body wants the water and the Pepsi has declined to the point of once or twice a week maybe I will have one.

Step 6. Time to stretch. Learn to stretch your body. Your leggs, arms, back, stomach will all love you. I try to stretch for maybe 15 minutes a day. You can look up some great stretching routines online. They may call them excersises but I don't want to toss that word around just yet. Do this untill you are comfortable with stretching. Have fun with it.

Step 7. Time to walk. I do about 4 to 5 miles a day. Do what ever you can. Remember to feel free to eat what ever you want even while you are walking, as long as it is not outside of your time frame. Remember no eating before 7am or after 7pm. Try to walk 20 to 30 minutes a day for a stretch. Over time you can increase the walking time or do this a couple times a day. Since you have been practicing stretching, do that before you go on your walk.

Step 8. Excersise. You can start with some hand held weights and do that while you walk. Working around the garden at home also helps if you don't want to join a gym. Infact lots of things that we can do at home can help to give us a good workout. You can also check with your cable provider. We have Demand on Time Warner. It is a service where you can choose TV shows. They also have work out videos you can watch and train right in front of your TV with. Pilates and other type of shows are available.

Step 9. You will not have a hard time with this one. Doing the above items gets you to this point without any effort on your part. Your body is going to stop desiring things that make you fat. I would ask you to quit eating bad foods. I will not have to do that. Over time and as you make each point a part of your life, you will stop doing the things that hurt your chances at a thinner you. Although I am asking you to get rid of bad food and drink choices I won't be asking much as you will probably have reduced them to a minimal point in your life. They won't be keeping you from losing weight anymore.

Step 10. Make adjustments. Something you learn is that we have to adjust our life to stay on track. Your goal now is to make a better you. Your goal is to overcome things that are hurting you and keeping you down. Your goal is to overcome food and realize that you are better than sugar, salt, fructose, and fat. You are an amazing person that does not need food to make you feel good, to reasure you, or to tell you how great you are. Last I heard the food I used to eat, never said one thing nice to me. When I lost the food plenty of people sure did though. I know that in the next year those that follow the plan I have laid out or some other plan will hear that from other people. You will hear how nice you look. You will be asked what it was you did to get where you are now. People will run to you for advice on how to better themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss