Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What part of your forced, locked-in lifestyle that you have no choice to endure, requires that you not eat fruit?

What part of your forced, locked-in lifestyle that you have no choice to endure, requires that you (or someone else in your household) not spend one day per week cooking meals that can be frozen in single-serve portions, thawed out, and nuked so that you can eat it instead of eating whatever you are currently eating, when you're eating it, at lunch time?

What part of this forced lifestyle requires that you not do squats and leg lifts and jogging in place right behind your store's counter during lulls in business when there aren't any customers for a minute here and a minute there?

There is nothing you're doing, that thousands of store-owners all over the world aren't doing. Except - thousands of store-owners don't have weight problems like you do, and thousands of store-owners don't justify bad eating habits by using their jobs as an excuse. Thousands of store-owners still MAKE time to eat healthy, cook meals at home, take leftovers to work, make healthy sandwiches in the morning when the leftovers run out, bring a piece of fruit to work and eat it as a snack so that when lunchtime rolls around they aren't stuffing themselves sick with crap from the local take-out.

Keep making excuses. Let us know how much weight they make you lose, in another month.
I think it's because someone is either holding a gun to her head or ties her arms to the chair everyday. Not really sure which....But my goodness, I've never seen someone so full of excuses in my life!

there is NO reason for her current behavior.....she doesn't want help. She doesn't' want to change her life, her body or her health. She just wants people to feel sorry for her and tell her what she's doing is ok and how it's not her fault she's fat and unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I'm ending my shift soon and I've walked 12 miles so far. I'm heading straight to the gym after this. I'd rather go home, plop on the couch and read a good book. However, I like being healthy and I like being in shape so I'm heading to the gym and then plopping on the couch.
Good for you! Sometimes I start a workout thinking that I really don't want to do it....but I'm always happy when I do....yesterday I did heavy-duty gardening instead of the treadmill....great being able to be outside most of the day - gorgeous and warm. More gardening today but I will do a long hill walk and weights today (she said with a smile on her face)!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Good for you! Sometimes I start a workout thinking that I really don't want to do it....but I'm always happy when I do....yesterday I did heavy-duty gardening instead of the treadmill....great being able to be outside most of the day - gorgeous and warm. More gardening today but I will do a long hill walk and weights today (she said with a smile on her face)!
I've been doing sumo-squats behind the counter at work lately (yes, *I* work behind a counter in a retail environment too). My co-workers snicker at me and once in awhile I get caught by an approaching customer. I don't care though. There's nothing in my employee handbook that says I'm required to stand still when I'm finished with my tasks, between customers. Also, when it's break time, or if I need to go to the bathroom, I will -sprint- down the other end of the store to the bathroom or breakroom instead of walking. And then I'll -spring- back when I'm done.

On the rare occasion that I get to bring the shopping carts in from the parking lot, I'll SPRINT to the one furthest away, grab it, then jog to the two closest to the store - and bring those three in. Then I'll SPRINT back out to the next-furthest one away, grab the next two closest to the store, and bring those three in. And so on til they're all in.

I'm guessing within a typical 7 hour shift, I'm burning an additional 500 calories over and above what I would burn, if I had been just standing there waiting for customers to show up, or walking to the shopping carts, or walking to the bathroom.

I also usually bring a salad for my break. It takes me less than 3 minutes to make it: I buy the greens already washed and prepared - they're organic (Olivia's Organics Spring Mix with Herbs). I buy the pico de gallo already chopped and dressed (no oil - just lemon juice and garlic). Olives, some jalapeno slices, shredded cheddar cheese. I put the pico in a little plastic cup with a cover that I get from the supermarket salad bar for free, so that the lemon juice doesn't make the cheese funky in the container all day. And I sometimes will also spoon a glob of fat-free vegetarian refried beans in another plastic cup, which will get hot in 9 seconds in the microwave when it's lunchtime. So - under 3 minutes to prepare, under 1 minute to spread out at mealtime, simple and quick, and I -can- throw the containers away when they're empty so there's not even any cleanup unless I want to keep the containers.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
I also usually bring a salad for my break. It takes me less than 3 minutes to make it: I buy the greens already washed and prepared
-

Same here...in that I pre-make my lunches and snacks early in the morning, around the same time I make my breakfast. Or I could do it the night before...while something is cooking on the stove or in the oven I prep my next days snax/lunch.

This past Monday it took me about 1/2 hour to put together this bean/tomato/cilantro/cucmber/onion salad (with rice vinegar)(a lot of chopping)..and this is a big bowl, which will last me a few days.

So, yes there is a time element in preparing food (re the OPs post..but this wont help her, specifically, since she doesn't like fresh fruit or vegtables..... Oh well)

Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, I don't eat any dairy products, so we're on the same page there.

As for the others. hmmmmmmm

You have to understand that I do not have the luxury of preparing my own food. Therefore I am at the mercy of the rest of the world when it comes to eating. I try very hard to eat healthy things, but you can only eat so many salads before you go a little nuts. THere is a local health-food store and occasionally I will try to eat something from there, but frankly, the food does not appeal to me in any way, so that makes it difficult.

People say to me, "eat more vegetables, eat more fruit", which is fine, except that to me eating vegetables and eating fruit is not a pleasant experience. If someone told you that, in order to be healthy, you had to eat a big bowl of steaming hot dog poop every day, would you do it? Even if it meant life or death? No, you would't. Well when I look at vegetables and fruit, I see a steaming bowl of dog poop.

Tell, me what does the green tea do?

20yrsinBranson
Why don't you just keep eating what you're eating right now, but just less of it? If you order a hamburger and fries, split it in two and throw half of it away. Same thing with the Egg McMuffin, or the blueplate special, or whatever else it is that you're eating every day. As soon as you get it, divide it in half and toss the rest in the trash. If that seems too drastic, then eat 2/3 or 3/4 of it and throw the rest away.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am so sick and tired of trying to lose weight with no success. I have tried cutting my calories, cutting my carbs, "eating several small meals a day", and still nothing works.

Because of a very demanding schedule, finding time to exercise is very challenging. But I have been trying to walk every day, and move more. Still nothing works. Nothing. nada.

It really gets depressing after awhile.

20yrsinBranson
Do you still drink milk and consume anything made from milk? Because of some health issues that I was having, mainly with my skin, I visited one of our Doctors and found that my skin problem and other issues were caused from milk and anything with milk in it or made from milk. Turns out that not only did my skin start to get better other things got better as well. I also ended up dropping weight. In September I was 226 and now I am 173. I have since stopped dropping weight and have had to find other ways to tune my diet and activity program. My goal is to get to 155.

Exercise is great for the body. To burn off the kind of weight that most want to burn off it comes down to changing the diet. I have known people that went to the gym for years but still were large. The problem is that they did not change the diet. Mustle does burn more calories than fat and working out helps to build mustle, still it is a loosing battle if the diet does not change.

Here is what I have done.

After 7am I start with 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 sausages, and a cup and a half of cut up potatoes with peppers and onions. I have been known to drink a Rock Star sugar free Lemonaide energy drink with that. I don't recommend it though.

Between breakfast and lunch I drink water, probably 2 to 3, 20 ounce bottles. (I keep refilling the same bottle.)

At lunch I have a large plate of raw spinage, with lettuce, tomatoes, and grated carrots. No and I mean no dressing on that at all. I don't like dressing that much and don't care to have it.

Between lunch and dinner I drink water, maybe another 2 to3, 20 ounce bottles.

Around 2pm I have a half cup of nuts.

At 5pm I have dinner with my family. Usually a piece of chicken or some other kind of meat and a salad. I have water with that.

Before 7 I might have a banana or some strawberries (Always fresh)

I don't eat after 7

Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've been doing sumo-squats behind the counter at work lately (yes, *I* work behind a counter in a retail environment too). My co-workers snicker at me and once in awhile I get caught by an approaching customer. I don't care though. There's nothing in my employee handbook that says I'm required to stand still when I'm finished with my tasks, between customers. Also, when it's break time, or if I need to go to the bathroom, I will -sprint- down the other end of the store to the bathroom or breakroom instead of walking. And then I'll -spring- back when I'm done.

On the rare occasion that I get to bring the shopping carts in from the parking lot, I'll SPRINT to the one furthest away, grab it, then jog to the two closest to the store - and bring those three in. Then I'll SPRINT back out to the next-furthest one away, grab the next two closest to the store, and bring those three in. And so on til they're all in.

I'm guessing within a typical 7 hour shift, I'm burning an additional 500 calories over and above what I would burn, if I had been just standing there waiting for customers to show up, or walking to the shopping carts, or walking to the bathroom.

I also usually bring a salad for my break. It takes me less than 3 minutes to make it: I buy the greens already washed and prepared - they're organic (Olivia's Organics Spring Mix with Herbs). I buy the pico de gallo already chopped and dressed (no oil - just lemon juice and garlic). Olives, some jalapeno slices, shredded cheddar cheese. I put the pico in a little plastic cup with a cover that I get from the supermarket salad bar for free, so that the lemon juice doesn't make the cheese funky in the container all day. And I sometimes will also spoon a glob of fat-free vegetarian refried beans in another plastic cup, which will get hot in 9 seconds in the microwave when it's lunchtime. So - under 3 minutes to prepare, under 1 minute to spread out at mealtime, simple and quick, and I -can- throw the containers away when they're empty so there's not even any cleanup unless I want to keep the containers.
Yep, we human beings are amazing - we can do just about anything when we set our mind to it - you are a good example to us all!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yep, we human beings are amazing - we can do just about anything when we set our mind to it - you are a good example to us all!
<laugh> I'm a good example of someone who's too lazy to cook every night, and too cheap to eat take-out every day for lunch

Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
It is HARD to lose weight when you are older, and it can get discouraging. I'm disappointed with how long it is taking, but I guess that's the way it is at this age. When I was young and wanted to drop five pounds, I just skipped breakfast for a week and it fell off. Now I am cutting out certain things, eating smaller portions, and for the first time in my life I've stuck to going to a gym and I go at least three times a week. Now that it's FINALLY nice out here in Jersey, I've been going for long walks on the trails at the local parks on weekends, too.

After three months...I've lost 11 whole pounds. It would be so easy to say "screw it" and just quit...but I have to get this fat off of me or I'll just get bigger and bigger. I've changed my way of thinking--I figure if I lose 11 pounds every three months, that's 44 pounds at the end of a year, and if that's the way it is, that's the way it is. It also takes some mental/emotional talking to oneself. I have very long hours of work, live alone, and don't have much to look forward to in the way of pleasurable activities so food became the main thing that gives me some enjoyment, something to look forward to when I got home. I had to work very hard to get myself into the mindset that food is for nourishment only and that it is not really something to rely on for my enjoyment. That thinking helps when I'm genuinely hungry and dying for something really good to eat and I know have to eat that friggin' salad instead. The salad will stop the hunger pains, which is the mission, and the desire for something tastier will diminish as a result. I know that now, and so I eat the damn salad. Most of the time, anyway!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
For me the something good to eat is the salad. Read what is in vegetables and fruit? Lets see: The label for tomatoes says Tomatoes. Oh we have a winner. And the package of spinage: Yup you got it right it is spinage. Now I only eat raw vegetables unless it is corn because I love corn as well. Still on a can of corn it says that corn is in the can. When I see processed food I have no idea what some of that stuff is, even in todays bread that they make. For me I would rather do without than get basic food that has only food and not something I don't understand what it is or have to determine if it is good for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss