Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

I am so sick and tired of trying to lose weight with no success. I have tried cutting my calories, cutting my carbs, "eating several small meals a day", and still nothing works.

Because of a very demanding schedule, finding time to exercise is very challenging. But I have been trying to walk every day, and move more. Still nothing works. Nothing. nada.

It really gets depressing after awhile.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am so sick and tired of trying to lose weight with no success. I have tried cutting my calories, cutting my carbs, "eating several small meals a day", and still nothing works.

Because of a very demanding schedule, finding time to exercise is very challenging. But I have been trying to walk every day, and move more. Still nothing works. Nothing. nada.

20yrsinBranson
Are you having any other symptoms? I could not lose weight and my doctor started asking me other questions, ie tired, loss of hair, dry skin, etc. I thought all those other "symptoms" was me just getting older but it was actually a medical problem.

I got blood tests for my Thyroid which was way out of whack! The thyroid is the hormone regulator of the body. I now take medication everyday and in the last few months I have lost 11 pounds and still going.

Do an internet search for Thyroid - many forms, can either be very underweight, hypothyroidism is where you gain weight. Worth investigating if you are having some of those other symptoms. There is about 20 or so symptoms so have a read.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 AM

17,360 posts, read 16,498,076 times
It can certainly feel like nothing is working. The older I get, the more stubborn the weight, that's for sure. If your thyroid checks out (mine always has)...The only suggestion I really have for you is: if what you are doing now isn't enough - Do More.

I've found that what should work isn't always enough for me. That may not be particularly fair, but it's the reality that I'm dealing with. I think it's been such a long haul for me because over time I had really gotten flabby and out of shape - that just takes time to reverse.

I've tightened up my diet to the point where my cholesterol ratios are in the ideal range. I exercise almost every day. I feel good and I have lost weight (not "enough" but I am definitely lighter). And I'm stubborn as a mule - lol. Always have been.

Hang in there. Persistence pays off.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
How often do you try something, decide it isn't working, and then try something else? It could be that you're just not giving it enough time. Exercise is very important too though. So is portion control.

Low carb, high carb, high protein, high fats, whatever you're trying, remember the portions. You know those saucers that teacups sit on? That should be where each of your meals sit, not including a salad. If you're serving yourself too much to fit on one of those plates, you're eating too much food. A single serving of meat for instance, is only 4 ounces *before* cooking. On the other hand, a single serving of salad is 2 cups.

If you're able to fit walking into your routine, then you're able to fit jogging into it. Or climbing stairs at a brisk pace. Or jumping jacks. Or jump-squats (you jump up, then instead of just landing standing up, you land and crouch down into a squat, then propel yourself back up into another jump. Repeat til you're sweating, rest 30 seconds, grab a gulp of water, then start all over again).

Instead of just walking, try walking halfway down the block, then sprint to the end of the block. Then walk halfway to the next block, and sprint to the end of that block. And so on and so forth. Carry a waterbottle in each hand that you've filled with sand, and pump your arms with each step.

My guess is that plenty of things work - you just haven't tried them yet.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Try:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

You need to recognize its not just about the scale in recognizing accomplishments. I would try tracking on that and giving yourself credit for sticking to exercise and healthy food choices when the scale isn't moving. The have short little exercise things to do on that site too. You just set it up to your current stats and goals.

If you don't have a food scale - get one. This way you know you are counting your portions correctly.

Stick to the spark or similar program where you journal your activities for at least three months. Be absolutely honest because if you are not losing, your diet log will help a doctor figure out how to treat you much more easily and perhaps give you some advice.

Since you need a check up before starting a plan it would be a good idea to go on in. Have a diabetes test while you are there. That can be silently lurking like the thyroid issue.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
One thing I would not do is over-exercise - no sprinting or jogging....just a brisk walk and do some strengthening weights if you can. I don't know how old you are but running/sprinting is not for everyone, especially if you are not used to it - you would be begging for an injury.

You are moving more and walking - I would suggest upping your commitment to walk more and start there. Honestly, you can lose weight successfully without having to over-do the exercise. Exercise helps you burn calories but eating the proper foods in the correct amount is what really helps the most when trying to lose weight. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day...more if you are heavy.

What is your typical diet like? Could you maybe not be paying enough attention to portion control? Do you snack? Do you a eat bit too much sugar (fruit, yogurt, processed foods)? How about your fat intake?

If you could post a typical day's food and the quantity, maybe someone could help you.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Portion control, exercise - get your heart rate up and keep it up, and patience. Write down everything you eat in a day, even the crumbs and then input it into Sparkpeople or some other place that will give you the exact calories. It may be very enlightening for you.
Exercise is non negotiable. It enhances weight loss and bolsters self esteem. However a stroll around the block is not going to do it. Weight baring exercises are a must as well as some cardio. If you can buy a stability ball, some bands, a weight or medicine ball you can do countless exercises with them.
Patience...as we age the weight just does not want to go away. Persistence is key. I gained 9 lbs over the last 8 months and taking it off now is very slow going. I am not going to get discouraged or give up. Nine pounds is a lot less daunting than the 40 I lost 5 years ago. I am 51 and it sucks how slow it goes.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Eatless move more. It is a stupid mantra but it really does work even if you have underlying medical problems. Obviously specifics not withstanding.

For almost all people putting on weight is a multi year affair. If you can't wait the same amount of time to take it off you will need to double, triple or quadruple your efforts to lose "it" in a shorter period of time.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
You REALLY should give IF a go. You don't even have to excersize for it to work, but moderate excersize (on feast days) is really good and raises your energy level tremendously. I added a 25 min cardio/20 minute weight and stretching routine 2-3 days a week after noticing the unexpected weight loss that accompanied the regimen. Wound up losing 20 pounds in about 4 months. Still doing ADF but on a 4-3 schedule as i am now a few pounds under my "set weight" and continue the routine because it has become a way of life.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
I really feel your pain, 20yrsinBranson. I've tried seemingly everything with no results too. I've done every wacky diet out there, I've used drugs, I log food on SparkPeople, I'm currently doing Weight Watchers, I gave up wheat and grains. Basically, if you can name it, I've tried it. I was especially disappointed with Wheat Belly since it seems like EVERYONE that follows the plan loses weight. Everyone but me. I only eat single ingredient foods (fruits, veggies, meat, limited dairy) and I track everything through Weight Watchers. I have had no success. I'll lose 5 pounds and then gain 6 in a single day, lose those 6, repeat. It's ridiculous and depressing.

The only thing that has ever worked for me was phentermine. Of course your body becomes used to that after awhile and it doesn't work. So, it's temporary at best, and I never got to my actual goal weight anyway.

Personally, I have given up trying to lose weight. I stick with whole foods because I believe it is the healthiest diet out there. Being overweight is just as good as things are going to get for me. Oh well. At least I have some intelligence to fall back on... I certainly don't have looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss