Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
For me the something good to eat is the salad. Read what is in vegetables and fruit? Lets see: The label for tomatoes says Tomatoes. Oh we have a winner. And the package of spinach: Yup you got it right it is spinach. Now I only eat raw vegetables unless it is corn because I love corn as well. Still on a can of corn it says that corn is in the can. When I see processed food I have no idea what some of that stuff is, even in todays bread that they make. For me I would rather do without than get basic food that has only food and not something I don't understand what it is or have to determine if it is good for me.
I don't eat much processed food in the first place, but a burger is made of meat and french fries are made of potatoes, so I know what's in 'em. It doesn't mean they are good for my diet, though!

What I'm talking about is when you are hungry and really want a burger and fries but make the choice to eat that salad instead. Yes, it's good to eat, but it sure as hell isn't going to taste as good or as satisfying as the burger and fries. At least not while you're eating it. AFTERWARD, I will feel better and be glad I chose the salad.

I don't mind salad that much, and in the short time span when really fresh lettuces/greens are available, salad tastes so much better. Those days are almost upon us here in NJ! Summer is so much easier because you can get fresh local veggies and fruit, not the tasteless crap trucked in from California. As a matter of fact, it makes a HUGE difference in my diet if I try to include at least one salad per day as part of one of my meals, and I know that.

But, I don't look down at a bowl full of leaves and say, "OH YUM, I can HARDLY wait to eat this!" The pleasure factor just isn't there, and that's the point of what I was saying. I have to learn to live without getting so much pleasure from food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Why not put an exercise bike in your store? !!

In the time it takes to run out & get to-go food, instead tear open a bag of pre-mixed lettuces, tear open a bag of water-packed tuna or chicken (since you seem to be a solid meat eater), throw in cherry tomatoes & mini carrots, spritz with one of those salad spritzes that all my weight-watcher teacher friends use. We all chase 5 & 6 year olds all day long & still can take the 3 minutes it takes to tear open a bag of greens & such. 3 minutes for god's sake!

It's really not a matter of that you can't. You really must.

Who knows? Maybe all the sodium, sulfates & whatever is in all that to-go food is retaining water.

I can't even imagine how they must be cooking the vegetables for you to hate all vegetables so vehemently.

Have healthy, well-prepared meals delivered to your store. Your well-being depends upon it.

The fact that you will not put your overall health & well-being above a business is a sad state of affairs.

Good luck with changing your lifestyle, for it is a lifestyle change you need.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM

689 posts, read 973,333 times
20yearsinBranson (AKA - OP),

18 pages later and you've probably gotten more responses than you ever would have imagined. Though there's certainly been more than a few snarky comments on here, you've also been offered some excellent tips from people who have successfully lost weight and maintained a healthy diet.

So what do you think? Have we made a dent? Are you starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel here? Surely, you know in your heart of hearts that unless you can establish a healthier work/life balance, no amount of advice will help your situation.

It's also doubtful you'll lose the weight if you can't find a way to plan and prepare healthy, low-cal meals. Even if you join Jenny Craig or Nutrasystem and eat their prepared foods, you'll eventually be back on your own again facing the same demons.

The good news is, you cared enough to bravely start this thread - opening the door to some sound advice as well as some harsh criticism. If you're not ready or able to make changes at this time, at least you have this great community of people who have taken the time to share what they know. And I, for one, genuinely wish you the best and hope that you find a way to take better care of yourself. You deserve to be happy, healthy and thin.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
20yearsinBranson (AKA - OP),

You deserve to be happy, healthy and thin.
You sort of had me until the above remark. In order to lose weight you have to be willing to make changes, really listen to good advice, be pro-active in overcoming bad habits and not be full of every excuse under the sun as to why you can't make positive changes in your lifestyle and diet.

No one "deserves to be happy healthy and thin".......if you work hard and really want to change - well then you may "deserve" it. To be happy you need to make choices that lead to happiness - to be thin and healthy you have to be willing to do the hard work that results in losing weight and being healthy.

Results in almost any area of life are predicated on how badly we want something and how much work we are willing to put forth in order to accomplish our desires.

I get so tired of this "we are entitled, even though we refuse to work but are willing to endlessly whine" attitude so pervasive on many levels in today's soiety.

I and others here have, through very hard work, lost or are in the process of losing our weight and gaining health through months or years of discipline, perserverance, self-education and desire - so we "deserve" the positive results.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-03-2013 at 01:16 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM

689 posts, read 973,333 times
What's all the self-righteous indignation for? Calm down. Not everyone has your iron-clad focus on self-improvement. The OP has obviously lost herself somewhere along the way and has forgotten how to care for herself as well as she should. No one is suggesting that life's a free ride - just wanted to offer her a simple (and kind) reminder that she deserves better.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You sort of had me until the above remark. In order to lose weight you have to be willing to make changes, really listen to good advice, be pro-active in overcoming bad habits and not be full of every excuse under the sun as to why you can't make positive changes in your lifestyle and diet.

No one "deserves to be happy healthy and thin".......if you work hard and really want to change - well then you may "deserve" it. To be happy you need to make choices that lead to happiness - to be thin and healthy you have to be willing to do the hard work that results in losing weight and being healthy.

Results in almost any area of life are predicated on how badly we want something and how much work we are willing to put forth in order to accomplish our desires.

I get so tired of this "we are entitled, even though we refuse to work but are willing to endlessly whine" attitude so pervasive on many levels in today's soiety.

I and others here have, through very hard work, lost or are in the process of losing our weight and gaining health through months or years of discipline, perserverance, self-education and desire - so we "deserve" the positive results.
I agree!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I
But, I don't look down at a bowl full of leaves and say, "OH YUM, I can HARDLY wait to eat this!" The pleasure factor just isn't there, and that's the point of what I was saying. I have to learn to live without getting so much pleasure from food.
My plate full of leaves starts with a base of raw spinage, red cabbage, grated carrets, sliced onion, olives, surrounded on the rim with cherry tommatoes, supplemented with either an apple, banana, or an orange or sometime all three. From time to time I may change the lineup, add some kale or some other kind of lettuce. So many vegetable out there to give a salad variety. You can add spices to that as well or if you want, grilled chicken works for some protien.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
What's all the self-righteous indignation for? Calm down. Not everyone has your iron-clad focus on self-improvement. The OP has obviously lost herself somewhere along the way and has forgotten how to care for herself as well as she should. No one is suggesting that life's a free ride - just wanted to offer her a simple (and kind) reminder that she deserves better.
Oh so that is what you call the truth then "self-righteous indignation"......? I'm totally calm by the way. Lots of people have been kind to the OP - spending our time trying to help only to have her tell us why she can't do the things that have been offered. Sometimes you need to cut the c r a p and get down to the real issue - lack of personal responsbility, excuses, excuses, excuses.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:

Just curious...how many pages of thread have you read? If you haven't read all of them, do so and then come back and comment.

It can't get any simpler than 'Eat Less, Move More'

Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM

18 posts, read 16,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am so sick and tired of trying to lose weight with no success. I have tried cutting my calories, cutting my carbs, "eating several small meals a day", and still nothing works.

Because of a very demanding schedule, finding time to exercise is very challenging. But I have been trying to walk every day, and move more. Still nothing works. Nothing. nada.

It really gets depressing after awhile.

20yrsinBranson
Warrior Diet.......try it, it will work and its a way of life, not just a diet to stop once you reach that desired weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss