Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The app "myfitnesspal" has been very helpful for me to monitor my food intake. I am very much a "snacker", afew crackers, a piece of cheese, it is amazing how those small bites add up. And they are empty calories too. After seeing that, I eliminated those foods, and my snacking. Big difference, from small chnages.
Yep. I've got something going on with nuts/cheese right now. I'm still losing because I'm fairly active but at some point I'm going to plateau again and I'm going to need to do something about that little habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
I am very much a "snacker", afew crackers, a piece of cheese, it is amazing how those small bites add up.
Yeah, this is my achilles' heel, too.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Jasper hits the nail on the head. 17 lbs in one month is insane. I went from 237 to 175 in 9 months. Now it is almost 18 months and I have sustained this weight loss. Largely by doing exactly what Jason outlined. Except it is not a 'diet'. It is a complete lifestyle change.

You are the exception.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Extreme dieting. Not lifelong change. No comparison.

Reasonable dieting would be five pounds a month. That is SIXTY pounds a year. What is wrong with that?

Reasonable dieting means modifying current unhealthy food habits, and replacing them with healthier options.

1. No more processed food.
2. Think vegetables, fruit.
3. Reduce carbs.
4. Cut fat. I only eat meat once or twice a month, if that.
5. Eliminate dairy products
6. Increase water consumption
7. Drink green tea. I drink green tea twice a day.
8. Cut the wheat addiction. No bread.
9. One half hour a day of moderate exercise.

Lifestyle changes. Your choice. Live to eat or eat to live.
Your plan will result in weight loss and health. I lost 63 lbs. in a little over a year and I did it safely - I was never overly hungry and allowed myself a small healthy snack if I felt too hungry. I adapted a whole new lifestyle eating plan - vegan with no added oils and no sugar other than fruit - which I eat in moderation and as few processed foods as possible (I still use canned beans/tomatoes/stock but that is it). I have Celiac disease so I have no wheat, barley or rye. I eat 2 slices of gluten free bread once in a while...not even every week. I know that I will continue eating this way. I just graduated to a size 6 - down from a size 16, 138 lbs. down from 205 - I am just a hair under 5'10". I get to wear cute clothes for the first time in years

I have become more serious and dedicated to working out with weights and cardio but not overly so - 2 1/3 to 2 1/2 miles on the treadmill (I do crank up the elevation and walking speed - I can't run - bad knees), 3 sets of weights 4 times a week, hill and stair walking, biking (when weather permits). I just had all my blood work done and everything is great - my cholesterol which was around 200 a year ago is now 143 and all numbers are perfect. I have so much more energy now - I will be 63 in a few months. I have worked very hard and completely changed the way I eat and it is all good.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Your plan will result in weight loss and health. I lost 63 lbs. in a little over a year and I did it safely - I was never overly hungry and allowed myself a small healthy snack if I felt too hungry. I adapted a whole new lifestyle eating plan - vegan with no added oils and no sugar other than fruit - which I eat in moderation and as few processed foods as possible (I still use canned beans/tomatoes/stock but that is it). I have Celiac disease so I have no wheat, barley or rye. I eat 2 slices of gluten free bread once in a while...not even every week. I know that I will continue eating this way. I just graduated to a size 6 - down from a size 16, 138 lbs. down from 205 - I am just a hair under 5'10". I get to wear cute clothes for the first time in years

I have become more serious and dedicated to working out with weights and cardio but not overly so - 2 1/3 to 2 1/2 miles on the treadmill (I do crank up the elevation and walking speed - I can't run - bad knees), 3 sets of weights 4 times a week, hill and stair walking, biking (when weather permits). I just had all my blood work done and everything is great - my cholesterol which was around 200 a year ago is now 143 and all numbers are perfect. I have so much more energy now - I will be 63 in a few months. I have worked very hard and completely changed the way I eat and it is all good.

That's wonderful and you should be very, very proud of yourself. Changing your lifestyle isn't always easy, but it's so worth it!!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Thank you Kim....losing the weight is possibly the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Thank you Kim....losing the weight is possibly the best thing I have ever done for myself.
It really is the best gift one can give oneself. Self confidence, better looks, the wonderful health benefits. The sacrifice is so worth it.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I find it very hard to believe that you lost 17 lbs in one month.

Not only is doing something that brutal (if it's indeed true) but it's stupid. It's just as stupid as these 500 calorie a day diets combined with HCG and B12 shots.

Losing weight isn't rocket science...it's also not the easiest thing to do..but it can be done when you want it bad enough.

You have to be honest with yourself and ask "How bad do I want this? How bad do I want to drop these lbs?" If you want it bad enough, you'll make those changes you need to make to get yourself healthy.
It doesn't sound like a lot until you start adding up that I had to cut my intake by about 2000 calories a day to do it. I guess that's why it was so brutal. I would only eat one meal a day (dinner). It has been the only thing that has shown any results. That's what is so depressing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Extreme dieting. Not lifelong change. No comparison.

Reasonable dieting would be five pounds a month. That is SIXTY pounds a year. What is wrong with that?

Reasonable dieting means modifying current unhealthy food habits, and replacing them with healthier options.

1. No more processed food.
2. Think vegetables, fruit.
3. Reduce carbs.
4. Cut fat. I only eat meat once or twice a month, if that.
5. Eliminate dairy products
6. Increase water consumption
7. Drink green tea. I drink green tea twice a day.
8. Cut the wheat addiction. No bread.
9. One half hour a day of moderate exercise.

Lifestyle changes. Your choice. Live to eat or eat to live.
Well, I don't eat any dairy products, so we're on the same page there.

As for the others. hmmmmmmm

You have to understand that I do not have the luxury of preparing my own food. Therefore I am at the mercy of the rest of the world when it comes to eating. I try very hard to eat healthy things, but you can only eat so many salads before you go a little nuts. THere is a local health-food store and occasionally I will try to eat something from there, but frankly, the food does not appeal to me in any way, so that makes it difficult.

People say to me, "eat more vegetables, eat more fruit", which is fine, except that to me eating vegetables and eating fruit is not a pleasant experience. If someone told you that, in order to be healthy, you had to eat a big bowl of steaming hot dog poop every day, would you do it? Even if it meant life or death? No, you would't. Well when I look at vegetables and fruit, I see a steaming bowl of dog poop.

Tell, me what does the green tea do?

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It doesn't sound like a lot until you start adding up that I had to cut my intake by about 2000 calories a day to do it. I guess that's why it was so brutal. I would only eat one meal a day (dinner). It has been the only thing that has shown any results. That's what is so depressing.

20yrsinBranson

That is not healthy in any way, shape or form. No wonder you feel the way you feel, you've thrown your whole system out of whack. How many calories a day were you consuming? If it was less than 1200, that's too low and you'll end up gaining everything plus back. Slow and steady is the way to go with weight lose.

You can't prepare your own food? Why? I'm not being snarky, I'm asking a serious question. Why can't you buy whole foods and cook them yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss