Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you call a 5% success rate not a big deal, then you're correct.
It is 100% successful if someone maintains it. And it's not difficult to do.

However, many people choose not to even try. That isn't "failure" - that's "refusal to try." You can't win if you don't play, as they say in the Lotto office. If you refuse to try, and instead revert back to the bad habits that made you fat in the first place, then you can't blame diet failure.

BTW: my mom's best friend died a couple of months ago. Complications from morbid obesity, following lap band surgery on her stomach. She ate herself to death. Her stomach had stretched to the size it was before the surgery.

My sister's best friend had gastric surgery and is now more obese than she was before the surgery. She also now has trouble walking because of the added weight and horrible edema in her legs. She is diabetes waiting to happen, at this point.

The surgery was successful. The attempt to maintain a healthy diet did not exist. There was no failure, other than mom's and sister's friends' failure to maintain portion control, and rejection of reasonable attempt at exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

However, many people choose not to even try. That isn't "failure" - that's "refusal to try." You can't win if you don't play, as they say in the Lotto office. If you refuse to try, and instead revert back to the bad habits that made you fat in the first place, then you can't blame diet failure.

BTW: my mom's best friend died a couple of months ago. Complications from morbid obesity, following lap band surgery on her stomach. She ate herself to death. Her stomach had stretched to the size it was before the surgery.

My sister's best friend had gastric surgery and is now more obese than she was before the surgery. She also now has trouble walking because of the added weight and horrible edema in her legs. She is diabetes waiting to happen, at this point.

The surgery was successful. The attempt to maintain a healthy diet did not exist. There was no failure, other than mom's and sister's friends' failure to maintain portion control, and rejection of reasonable attempt at exercise.
I have a brother in law who had gastric bypass surgery and is just as fat now as he was before. He didn't learn a damn thing about portion control, healthy eating or excerise. They just did the surgery...he'll be dead before he's 50. . :::shaking head:::

I have a friend who had the surgery who looks and feels great! She had to got thru a 9 mth weightloss program before her dr would do the surgery. They taught her about porition control, healthy eating and excerise. She had to lose 50lbs before they would even consider doing the surgery. She lost it and then lost another 120 (after surgery) and 7 yrs later?? Kept it all off...even had a child in between and KEPT IT ALL OFF.

It can done, but you have to want to do it. It won't happen by itself.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
The OP is 5'3", approx 185 pounds....so not exactly a weight loss surgery candidate. And I'm guessing she would like to keep it that way!

By losing less than 20 pounds (a little more than 15), the OP could lower herself from the "obese" category down to the "overweight" category.

Of course, if she does nothing and continues to gain that would not be good.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-12-2013 at 06:20 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I think some who go on a diet end up going to extremes where they restrict calories too much and eliminate certain foods. They become too hungry and feel restricted and end up overeating. The cycle just keeps going. Unless a person has an allergy or intolerance I feel there is no reason to take out a food group such as grains. When you pick whole grains it can help balance out a meal. This keeps your blood sugar level,energy up,and hunger away. They also have a lot of nutrients. In the start if you can make a food plan and try to stick with it. This is like a road map of what you need for the day. This way you don't make an impulse choice when you get too hungry. Also it can make sure you are eating enough but not too many calories. If you don't want to calorie count there are ones based on exchanges. For activity even weight issues aside for overall health it is important. Even setting your alarm 30 minutes early.
Lastly I do understand you have barriers that may make things harder but it is still possible. You may have to do things you don't enjoy but need to do for your health. Hopefully as you see and feel the benefits it will get easier.
Even if now you don't have health complications it is not to say in a week you won't. Some health problems you can't reverse and then you have to live with them and it can be a huge barrier or create a lot of pain in your life.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The OP is 5'3", approx 185 pounds....so not exactly a weight loss surgery candidate. And I'm guessing she would like to keep it that way!

By losing less than 20 pounds (a little more than 15), the OP could lower herself from the "obese" category down to the "overweight" category.

Of course, if she does nothing and continues to gain that would not be good.
I looked at 3 different web sites that list obesity rates depending on your height and weight....169 seems to be where overweight ends and obesity begins....technically the OP is obese not just overweight.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am so sick and tired of trying to lose weight with no success. I have tried cutting my calories, cutting my carbs, "eating several small meals a day", and still nothing works.

Because of a very demanding schedule, finding time to exercise is very challenging. But I have been trying to walk every day, and move more. Still nothing works. Nothing. nada.

It really gets depressing after awhile.

20yrsinBranson
You have to cut calories, an exercise, and watch what you eat. No one thing will do it for most people. Also, sitting on my computer alot makes me heavier, perhaps you too.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I looked at 3 different web sites that list obesity rates depending on your height and weight....169 seems to be where overweight ends and obesity begins....technically the OP is obese not just overweight.
Exactly. Just pointing out that a whoppin 16 pounds (16!) stand between the OP and the much coveted (at least when you're obese) "Overweight" category.

You can do it OP!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It won't happen by itself.
Actually it will, and you have no choice. With the VSG, you simply can't overeat. Your 40 oz stomach (that stretches) is reduced to 3 oz that doesn't stretch.

3 years post VSG WLS still under goal! - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
If it isn't difficult, why do 95% fail?

As soon as I read "if", I stop reading....

A person is 100% guaranteed to win the lottery if he picks the right numbers.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
However, many people choose not to even try. That isn't "failure" - that's "refusal to try."
Ya right.

What does "many" mean? 0.0002%? You don't think the overwhelming (like 99.99%) of overweight people (such as our original poster) have never tried, and never tried over and over and over again to lose weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss