Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,909,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I mean why on earth does cutting out mutigrain toast or an apple, even, make my
body feel so much younger and bouncey?

I am feeling great after a week with no carbs...uh oh, steamed some cauliflower
1 day, lol...might have gotten 4 grams that day...oops.

Each day I lose maybe 4- 9 ounces...luv it. I can live with that.
I'm never hungry and hardly finish a plate of whatever.
I don't really care if I lose the 7 more pounds.

Really? Carbs are that bad?
Seems it, if I feel THIS great...every single day for a week now.

All my organs are fine, brain, gall bladder, kidneys, heart, tummy, intestines...
I was concerned about all of them...but they are fine.

Thanx
I haven't tried the Atkins diet for years, but it always worked well for me and yes, I felt much better. I was thinking last night, when I couldn't sleep about going back on a modified version of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I haven't tried the Atkins diet for years, but it always worked well for me and yes, I felt much better. I was thinking last night, when I couldn't sleep about going back on a modified version of it.
Just the fact that you have been on it several times indicates it does not work at all. The success of any eating plan is that it works for a lifetime. The biggest reason for failure on Atkins is the inability of most people to stay on it for any significant period of time.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:02 PM

398 posts, read 699,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Just the fact that you have been on it several times indicates it does not work at all. The success of any eating plan is that it works for a lifetime. The biggest reason for failure on Atkins is the inability of most people to stay on it for any significant period of time.
That says more about personal willpower than it does about the diet. Every diet requires willpower and discipline. Diet means restriction. Just because you don't have the self discipline to diet doesn't mean this couldn't work for others who actually care about their health enough to stick to it. A secret is to get really unhealthy for a while. Once you are forced to live with pain or a high level of discomfort, you will more likely become disciplined enough to diet (or do whatever it is you've been putting off or excusing).

Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,069,486 times
From the New York Times Sunday Review, September 22, 2012

This is an excerpt from the article regarding the Atkins Diet - please read, this might save your life:

WHAT you eat is as important as what you exclude — your diet needs to be high in healthful carbs like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, soy products in natural, unrefined forms and some fish, like salmon. There are hundreds of thousands of health-enhancing substances in these foods. And what’s good for you is good for the planet.

Calories do count — fat is much denser in calories, so when you eat less fat, you consume fewer calories, without consuming less food. Also, it’s easy to eat too many calories from sugar and other refined carbs because they are so low in fiber that you can consume large amounts without getting full. Sugar is absorbed so quickly that you get repeated insulin surges, which promote Type 2 diabetes and accelerate the conversion of calories into body fat.

But never underestimate the power of telling people what they want to hear — like cheeseburgers and bacon are good for you. People are drawn to Atkins-type diets in part because, as the study showed, they produce a higher metabolic rate. But a low-carb diet increases metabolic rate because it’s stressful to your body. Just because something increases your metabolic rate doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Amphetamines will also increase your metabolism and burn calories faster, which is why they are used to help people lose weight, at least temporarily. But they stress your body and may mortgage your health in the progress.

Patients on an Atkins diet in this study showed more than double the level of CRP (C-reactive protein), which is a measure of chronic inflammation and also significantly higher levels of cortisol, a key stress hormone. Both of these increase the risk of heart disease and other chronic diseases. A major research article published recently in the British Medical Journal studied 43,396 Swedish women over 16 years. It concluded that “low carbohydrate-high protein diets ... are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular diseases.” An important article in The New England Journal of Medicine examined data from a study showing that high-protein, low-carb diets promote coronary artery disease even if they don’t increase traditional cardiac risk factors like blood pressure or cholesterol levels. A diet low in fat and high in unrefined carbohydrates caused the least amount of coronary artery blockages, whereas an Atkins-type diet caused the most.

Outcomes from more than 37,000 men from the Harvard-sponsored Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and more than 83,000 women from the Nurses’ Health Study who were followed for many years showed that consumption of both processed and unprocessed red meat, a mainstay of an Atkins diet, is associated with an increased risk of premature death as well as greater incidence of cardiovascular disease, cancer and Type 2 diabetes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/op...diet.html?_r=0

Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
That says more about personal willpower than it does about the diet. Every diet requires willpower and discipline. Diet means restriction. Just because you don't have the self discipline to diet doesn't mean this couldn't work for others who actually care about their health enough to stick to it. A secret is to get really unhealthy for a while. Once you are forced to live with pain or a high level of discomfort, you will more likely become disciplined enough to diet (or do whatever it is you've been putting off or excusing).
Of course discipline is involved with any kind of diet. But Atkins is notoriously hard to stay on. To live in the real world and go out to dinner, over to friends, family get togethers, or just plain sick of all the protein and want something different. It is so much easier to stick with a plan that incorporates ALL the food groups.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post

This is an excerpt from the article regarding the Atkins Diet - please read, this might save your life:

WHAT you eat is as important as what you exclude — your diet needs to be high in healthful carbs like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, soy products in natural, unrefined forms and some fish, like salmon. There are hundreds of thousands of health-enhancing substances in these foods. And what’s good for you is good for the planet.

Calories do count — fat is much denser in calories, so when you eat less fat, you consume fewer calories, without consuming less food. Also, it’s easy to eat too many calories from sugar and other refined carbs because they are so low in fiber that you can consume large amounts without getting full. Sugar is absorbed so quickly that you get repeated insulin surges, which promote Type 2 diabetes and accelerate the conversion of calories into body fat.

But never underestimate the power of telling people what they want to hear — like cheeseburgers and bacon are good for you. People are drawn to Atkins-type diets in part because, as the study showed, they produce a higher metabolic rate. But a low-carb diet increases metabolic rate because it’s stressful to your body. Just because something increases your metabolic rate doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Amphetamines will also increase your metabolism and burn calories faster, which is why they are used to help people lose weight, at least temporarily. But they stress your body and may mortgage your health in the progress.

Patients on an Atkins diet in this study showed more than double the level of CRP (C-reactive protein), which is a measure of chronic inflammation and also significantly higher levels of cortisol, a key stress hormone. Both of these increase the risk of heart disease and other chronic diseases. A major research article published recently in the British Medical Journal studied 43,396 Swedish women over 16 years. It concluded that “low carbohydrate-high protein diets ... are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular diseases.” An important article in The New England Journal of Medicine examined data from a study showing that high-protein, low-carb diets promote coronary artery disease even if they don’t increase traditional cardiac risk factors like blood pressure or cholesterol levels. A diet low in fat and high in unrefined carbohydrates caused the least amount of coronary artery blockages, whereas an Atkins-type diet caused the most.

Outcomes from more than 37,000 men from the Harvard-sponsored Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and more than 83,000 women from the Nurses’ Health Study who were followed for many years showed that consumption of both processed and unprocessed red meat, a mainstay of an Atkins diet, is associated with an increased risk of premature death as well as greater incidence of cardiovascular disease, cancer and Type 2 diabetes.

Not to mention its hard on your gall bladder. A friends husband had to have his removed while he was on Atkins. Another friend became very sick because of the stress on her gall bladder. Our bodies are not made to eat a lot protein and fat.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM

564 posts, read 1,041,751 times
[duplicate post, please see below - browser got hung]

Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 AM

564 posts, read 1,041,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

Not to mention its hard on your gall bladder. A friends husband had to have his removed while he was on Atkins. Another friend became very sick because of the stress on her gall bladder. Our bodies are not made to eat a lot protein and fat.
Says an article written by Dean Ornish, the king of LOW FAT diet propaganda.

Our bodies THRIVE on protein and fat. There are essential amino acids in protein and essential fatty acids in fat that we need to function and survive; there are NO essential carbohydrates. So your statement is completely false.

Human beings everywhere on earth have thrived on a diet of animal-based meats/fats, nuts, and vegetables and fruits, ever since we crawled out of the primeval slop and started walking upright. Stop being afraid of red meat and saturated fats. It's the modern sugars and grains that are making us sick, not the foods we've lived on for millions of years as a species.

Avoid refined sugars and grains. Eat a variety of whole foods, preferably locally-sourced. Don't smoke. Get moderate exercise. Rinse, repeat.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,427,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Says an article written by Dean Ornish, the king of LOW FAT diet propaganda.

Our bodies THRIVE on protein and fat. There are essential amino acids in protein and essential fatty acids in fat that we need to function and survive; there are NO essential carbohydrates. So your statement is completely false.

Human beings everywhere on earth have thrived on a diet of animal-based meats/fats, nuts, and vegetables and fruits, ever since we crawled out of the primeval slop and started walking upright. Stop being afraid of red meat and saturated fats. It's the modern sugars and grains that are making us sick, not the foods we've lived on for millions of years as a species.

Avoid refined sugars and grains. Eat a variety of whole foods, preferably locally-sourced. Don't smoke. Get moderate exercise. Rinse, repeat.
This is what it says in the Epiloque of "Protein Power" , also.
Than you.
Altho, if someone has an iffy gallbladder to start, I can see there could be a problem.
And how awful that would be, yikes.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,427,842 times
This is quite scary!....that is a lot of research!
And why I'm not doing saturated fats, cheese, as I was....nope, olive oil for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss