Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:10 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Find me a doctor who will tell you an obese person isn't less healthy than a person of normal size and I'll tell you that doc quacks.

Or let me ask you another question - how many really old obese people do you know ?
Yet you're fine assuming that every thin person on the planet is healthy.

I'll say it again because people don't get it. My agenda isn't to ignore or deny that obesity is a problem in America, or to claim that it doesn't create health problems. It is, and it does. My issue is with people who start threads basically seeking permission to discriminate against a group of people based purely on their looks. Personally, I don't understand the kind of emotional bankruptcy that pushes someone to put down others in order to fuel his own self esteem. But bullying vulnerable people is America's favorite pass-time, and I won't condone it no matter what excuses people dream up to make themselves feel justified in doing so.

And incidentally, my husband's grandmother weighed almost 300 lbs and lived to be 80. My grandmother was never overweight a day in her life and died at the age of 45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 06:28 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
MYOB unless you are their doctor.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Surely a "doctor" (one who has the time to hang out on an anonymous chat forum no less) would be somewhat knowledgeable of the American Heart Association's statistic that men over 25 have a 50% greater incidence of heart disease than women, and over the age of 64, that percentage rises to a whopping 150%

My experience is hardly anecdotal.
Wtf does that have to do with anything?
Funny you want to fling stats around but then try to make bold, ridiculous statements with an N of 6.

So what if men are more likely? What does that have to do with obesity?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 PM

586 posts, read 830,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Being fat is very uncomfortable. It's like carrying another person or two on your back everywhere you go, all the time. Who would really want to do that??

Gaining weight is a gradual process, so the pounds just slowly creep on. Next thing the person knows, they're fat & uncomfortable! Then they think, Oh God what have I done? Losing weight is much harder than gaining it.

People need to be careful. Balance calories in with calories out. It's not fun to do, but it's necessary.
Ditto! I feel the exact same way every single morning, like I am carrying another person around. It is such an uncomfortable feeling and I wish there was something I could do that could would make me go back to normal with the snap of my fingers, but unfortunately its something that has to be done through hard work, dedication, and motivation.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:01 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
- how many really old obese people do you know ?
Funny you should ask. I get to visit an old age home or two from time to time. Not many. I'm not sure that means much though but I did make that observation. My own father who was only ever slightly overweight is now 95 and my partners father is also 95 and he's as skinny as a rake. My grandmother on the other hand was overweight and she reached 98 (although she was not as healthy in old age as my Dad is). My mother's father who was also skinny died long before her overweight mother. I think he was much older than she was though.

I have a concern for what we are feeding our children and teaching them to eat. That is unfair on them. My own sister-in-law tries to encourage young kids (and others) to eat more sugar! "Have some more cake" she'll say to them, even to the extent of calling them in from play to have some or some more, even when they are not interested. I don't get it.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Find me a doctor who will tell you an obese person isn't less healthy than a person of normal size and I'll tell you that doc quacks.

Or let me ask you another question - how many really old obese people do you know ?
Well.
Give me an overweight vegan runner over a smoking skinny meth head...

Old 07-11-2015, 06:40 AM

Old overweight people...
After 80, it may be protective to have more weight (not necessarily OBESE).

I will tell you, I have met verrrry few people over 80 who have diabetes.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Smoking is still legal. Restricted in some places, but legal. Where you or I can drink alcohol is restricted as well. So I would hardly call smokers "marginalized".

And speaking of alcohol and addiction, so much research has gone into alcoholism and addiction that addictions are now treated as a mental health issue instead of as a personality flaw or weakness.

Precisely.
They treat it as a disease so they can get paid.
Period.

Smokers are looked down on, put down, and not accepted by most people.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Being overweight can just be from laziness, but being obese is because of a health condition. People have to realize that the majority of obese people aren't fat because they want to be or because they are lazy. They have an underlying health condition that has caused this (and it's probably undiagnosed).
Wrong.
This represents probably less than 10% of obese people.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:50 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They treat it as a disease so they can get paid.
Period.

Smokers are looked down on, put down, and not accepted by most people.
Isn't obesity now classified as a disease? As a doctor, can you tell us what changes to expect as far as research, treatment, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss