Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:49 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Something I have noticed is that since I have cut out all added sugar and have have a reduced carb diet as a lifestyle, I don't get low blood sugar jitters when I haven't eaten like I used to.
This is my experience too. When I cut out sugars and starches, ALL my symptoms of low blood sugar disappear, and I lose that feeling that "I've got to eat" every two hours. I'm not diabetic, but I have had those episodes of low blood sugar, and they are scary as hell. No piece of bread or bowl of cereal is worth that to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes there is a mass pandemic, it's called depression and binge eating disorder. Listen and read the stories of those who have lost tremendous amounts of weight. In all of the stories that I've heard, something happened in their lives that caused them to eat in large amounts. For many it was a coping mechanism.
No it's called eating too much and not exercising enough.
We're living in an age where for the first time in history poor people are fatter than rich people.It always used to be the other way round.But now food and entertainment are cheap and the dumbest and poorest in life believe entitlement comes before self-respect.
Binge eating disorder is just a fancy name to make the lazy and greedy feel better.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:01 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
One doesn't need to be lazy, to consume more than they burn. I wasn't lazy, but I gained around 40 pounds over a dozen years. Not because of thyroid problems, or because of a snakebite, or because of a medical condition. But because I was an adult who ate too much of everything, and made excuses to not exercise (too tired after 40 hours of work - lazy people don't work). It was easier to eat prepackaged junk food than it was to prepare a decent meal. And of course after I was done eating, it'd be evening, and the last thing I'd want to do after an 8-hour work day AND dealing with rush hour traffic AND being full from supper, was to go out and exercise. Getting up at 6AM wasn't going do solve the problem either, because I was already getting up at 6AM in order to be at work by 8.

So as you can see, I made plenty of excuses to not get a decent exercise routine, and to not eat properly. But that doesn't mean I was lazy, and I'd say most obese people I know personally aren't lazy. They ALSO don't have medical conditions that make them blow up to 100 pounds over their ideal weight and prevent them from exercising.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. MOST people who are obese, got that way by eating more than they should, and exercising less than they should. MOST people who are obese, remain obese for the same reason.
I'm talking about obese folks, not overweight folks. Gaining 40 lbs. generally doesn't put someone in the obese category. One can easily get caught with life and become overweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I am of the opinion there are two types of obesity. There's the average person who gained 20-30 lbs, mostly from not paying enough attention to diet and/or not getting enough exercise to work off what they eat. Post-pregnancy women often fall into this category, folks who maybe suffered an injury, or just changed their lifestyle and their weight got away from them. For that group, weight loss can be Rx'd very simply with the "Eat less and move more" mentality.

Then there is the group which has gained 50+ lbs (I'm in that group), or the 100+ lbs folks. You don't gain that much weight because you aren't paying attention or "let yourself go". And you don't remain at that weight because you "just don't want it enough" or had no idea that french fries aren't a vegetable. There are other things going on, and all the elementary weight loss advice isn't going to do a whit of good until the person addresses the underlying issues. For this group, IMO, emotional encouragement and coping skills make a way bigger impact.

Though back to the OP's original post, NEITHER group needs a self-appointed life coach to tell them they need to lose weight. Anyone who thinks a fat person is walking around completely unaware they are fat, or that their weight is unhealthy has got way bigger issues of their own they need to be concerned with.
Again, gaining 20-30 lbs. generally doesn't put someone in the obese category. There's a difference between being overweight and being obese and I'm talking about obesity. One can easily get caught with life and become overweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
No it's called eating too much and not exercising enough.
We're living in an age where for the first time in history poor people are fatter than rich people.It always used to be the other way round.But now food and entertainment are cheap and the dumbest and poorest in life believe entitlement comes before self-respect.
Binge eating disorder is just a fancy name to make the lazy and greedy feel better.
Since you choose to dismiss a serious condition such as binge eating disorder, in my opinion, you're not educated enough to participate in a conversation with me. Binge eating disorder is a real and serious eating disorder. It's not a fancy name for lazy and greedy people. I live it every single day.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

I challenge you to find a story where the person became obese because they were too lazy to move and eat less.

And you know this how?
Find a story??!! How about the tens of thousands of patients I have met?
Is this a joke?

Old 07-12-2015, 01:00 AM

11,027 posts, read 5,978,490 times
stan4, in your position you are able to educate us. I'm just asking for what you are saying to be informative as opposed to making a point.

While I have your audience, what are the real health risks of being overweight? Say a little over weight, fairly over weight up to obese?

I considered myself overweight when I was 85kgs. I got myself down to 76kgs and have been called skinny but I'm not really. I was heavier (at 82kgs) in the past due to more muscle mass but now I've lost some of that. This brings muscle mass into the equation.

For information, I gained weight due to medication. The medication didn't make me put on weight as such but it made me hungry! Getting that weight off was a mission. Cutting down on fats didn't work. Cutting down on carbs and increasing fats did work. Avocado comes to mind. Foods with a higher satiety value work great.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Find a story??!! How about the tens of thousands of patients I have met?
Is this a joke?
Yes, find a story. No, it's not a joke.

I don't believe people become obese from being lazy. I do believe that people become overweight from being lazy. So, yes, I ask that you find a story online where the person became obese from being lazy since you say you've met tens of thousands of them. I'm sure at least one has told their story online.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Pinkmani, I was already 135 before I started putting on the extra weight. I'm only 5'3". That 40 pounds extra brought me to just over 175. That IS obese, for a petite-boned woman who stands at 5'3".

Just maybe some of us other than you have some general understanding of the topic.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Old overweight people...
After 80, it may be protective to have more weight (not necessarily OBESE).

I will tell you, I have met verrrry few people over 80 who have diabetes.
Really? That's funny because I have met quite a few, including two of my now deceased grandparents, a couple of aunts, my husband's grandmother and father, and the list goes on.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
.....and people wonder why I pounce on troll threads like these.....

Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Pinkmani, I was already 135 before I started putting on the extra weight. I'm only 5'3". That 40 pounds extra brought me to just over 175. That IS obese, for a petite-boned woman who stands at 5'3".

Just maybe some of us other than you have some general understanding of the topic.
Please reread what I said: "I'm talking about obese folks, not overweight folks. Gaining 40 lbs. generally doesn't put someone in the obese category. One can easily get caught with life and become overweight."

And secondly, at 135 lbs., you were on the higher end of the "normal" range (being 145 lbs. would've made you "overweight".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss