Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
You can't go that far to say all fruit juice is bad. I think it's unnatural to drink it as a daily habit but sometimes it's just what we need. Maybe you should focus on yourself, I'm an athlete doesn't go by the same rules. Preach to the bubble gut body builders.
Athlete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 09:54 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
I guess I could have included those as well. Whole grains can be consumed on a keto diet (sparingly) but not during the ketosis stage because they are higher in carbohydrates. For us, even a small amount of whole grains will almost immediately cause weight gain.

I've never understood how a low carb diet doesn't work for some people mainly because the reaction it causes is generally very similar in most people. It seems (I could be completely wrong, but this is from my personal research) that people who don't do well on a low-carb diet don't really follow it appropriately. There are stages to go through (ketosis, balancing, maintenance) where carbohydrates are slowly introduced back into the diet until such a time as weight can be leveled and maintained. But I digress.

My response was to the comment that was made which said that low carb diets are stupid. They're not stupid if you follow the rules. If you don't, then does that really make it stupid?

Old 10-03-2017, 09:59 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
OP,
Pizza Hut isn't anywhere close to real pizza and real athletes would not touch most of the items you have listed that you eat let alone actually put that trash in their bodies.
I urge you to find a book or person who can give you proper information and teach you how to eat properly.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:47 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Why is it disgusting? Our bodies are designed to burn fat as its primary fuel source. Compare it to a vehicle that is designed to run on 87 octane fuel but can also burn E85 ethanol as a secondary fuel source. Sure E85 will burn, but it burns less efficiently. Less mpg equals needing more of that fuel more frequently. Your body works the same way.

Since many of us grew up with a lifestyle full of carbs our bodies have adapted to use that fuel source since it is available in abundance. When you do that, the amount of fat being burned is negligible and is stored in the body. This causes weight gain unless you have an overly active metabolism.

Look at animals in nature. Most omnivorous creatures are lean. That's because they eat a lot of protein and fat.

A healthy person consumes a balance of (this isn't meant to be an all inclusive list):

1. Protein
2. healthy fats
3. Some carbs (mostly obtained from fruit and vegetables)
4. Fiber
5. A lot of water

An unhealthy person consumes:

1. An abundance of carbohydrates
2. Limited protein
3. Trans fats (processed or convenience foods)
4. An abundance of sugar

Low carb diets are far from stupid. They are actually putting your body back into the state in which it was designed to be in.
I'm fine with people's choices, low carb included. I just disagree with some of the assertions here about what is "healthy" and "unhealthy", which I've found common with people who subscribe to low carb. They lose weight and then determine that everything else is unhealthy.

I consume an abundance of carbs and I'm not unhealthy. I lost weight eating a carb heavy diet and I don't have an overly active metabolism. Protein is so abundant and our country loves to eat meat, so people aren't fat from eating limited protein.

I consume a fairly balanced diet that includes proteins/fat/carbs. I drink plenty of water, and exercise four times per week. I also wanted to mention that you can burn fat eating a non-keto diet. Your body burns calories. If what you burn is more than what you consume, your body will turn to its fat stores for conversion to glucose (which is what your body runs on). since i had a daily caloric deficit, my body didn't have much "on hand" to burn so it was forced to turn to stored fat and I lost weight.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
I guess I could have included those as well. Whole grains can be consumed on a keto diet (sparingly) but not during the ketosis stage because they are higher in carbohydrates. For us, even a small amount of whole grains will almost immediately cause weight gain.

I've never understood how a low carb diet doesn't work for some people mainly because the reaction it causes is generally very similar in most people. It seems (I could be completely wrong, but this is from my personal research) that people who don't do well on a low-carb diet don't really follow it appropriately. There are stages to go through (ketosis, balancing, maintenance) where carbohydrates are slowly introduced back into the diet until such a time as weight can be leveled and maintained. But I digress.

My response was to the comment that was made which said that low carb diets are stupid. They're not stupid if you follow the rules. If you don't, then does that really make it stupid?
Not true at all. Many people do just fine eating from all the food groups. I did low carb twice and I hated it. The first time for 6 months following it to the letter. I lost some weight but I felt crappy. Of course I gained it all back. The second time I did it because of all the hype around it. After a month I threw in the towel. I want to be able to have my choice of foods to eat. Amazingly enough eating from all the food groups I lost weight and kept it off for almost 10 years.

It appears that you fail to understand is there is no one size fits all when losing weight. And when people go off of low carb diets it usually because they want to, not because they did not do it properly.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
OP, please learn how to multi-quote.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not true at all. Many people do just fine eating from all the food groups. I did low carb twice and I hated it. The first time for 6 months following it to the letter. I lost some weight but I felt crappy. Of course I gained it all back. The second time I did it because of all the hype around it. After a month I threw in the towel. I want to be able to have my choice of foods to eat. Amazingly enough eating from all the food groups I lost weight and kept it off for almost 10 years.

It appears that you fail to understand is there is no one size fits all when losing weight. And when people go off of low carb diets it usually because they want to, not because they did not do it properly.

I never said low carb is the be-all/end-all diet, nor did I say that it was the best or worst one. I simply said that it isn't stupid as the OP stated. A lot of people who think it is stupid are those who fail to follow it. That was based on the months I spent talking to folks who tried it, and then jumped off of it. In most cases it was because they kept falling out of ketosis when they decided to try to sneak of of the prohibited items back into their diet (flour, corn, fruit, etc..) If that isn't you, then the statement doesn't apply to you. I understand that we each have differing dietary needs.

In my case, eating from all of the food groups have a negative effect on my metabolism. The only diet that I have been successful with has been a keto diet. Your mileage may vary. In any event, I don't know of anyone who would think that a 500 calorie diet is healthy or sustainable.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:36 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
I never said low carb is the be-all/end-all diet, nor did I say that it was the best or worst one. I simply said that it isn't stupid as the OP stated. A lot of people who think it is stupid are those who fail to follow it. That was based on the months I spent talking to folks who tried it, and then jumped off of it. In most cases it was because they kept falling out of ketosis when they decided to try to sneak of of the prohibited items back into their diet (flour, corn, fruit, etc..) If that isn't you, then the statement doesn't apply to you. I understand that we each have differing dietary needs.

In my case, eating from all of the food groups have a negative effect on my metabolism. The only diet that I have been successful with has been a keto diet. Your mileage may vary. In any event, I don't know of anyone who would think that a 500 calorie diet is healthy or sustainable.
and that's my problem ("prohibited items"). this can be applied to formal diets in general. I don't want anything to be prohibited unless medically told to do so.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm fine with people's choices, low carb included. I just disagree with some of the assertions here about what is "healthy" and "unhealthy", which I've found common with people who subscribe to low carb. They lose weight and then determine that everything else is unhealthy.

I consume an abundance of carbs and I'm not unhealthy. I lost weight eating a carb heavy diet and I don't have an overly active metabolism. Protein is so abundant and our country loves to eat meat, so people aren't fat from eating limited protein.

I consume a fairly balanced diet that includes proteins/fat/carbs. I drink plenty of water, and exercise four times per week. I also wanted to mention that you can burn fat eating a non-keto diet. Your body burns calories. If what you burn is more than what you consume, your body will turn to its fat stores for conversion to glucose (which is what your body runs on). since i had a daily caloric deficit, my body didn't have much "on hand" to burn so it was forced to turn to stored fat and I lost weight.

I wasn't implying that a keto diet was the only diet in which people were healthy. My apologies if it sounded that way. My implication is that when your diet consists mostly of complex carbohydrates (soda, fruit juice, pastries, bread, pasta, white rice, etc...) that is not healthy. Simple carbs (vegetables, whole fruit, whole grains, etc..) are much more healthy.

So even on a low-calorie diet, if your main staples are complex carbohydrates you are not going to be able to sustain yourself. When the blood-sugar rollercoaster kicks in controlling your appetite becomes quite the challenge.

As for burning fat on a non-keto diet, some can do that. My metabolism is such that I cannot. YMMV.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
and that's my problem ("prohibited items"). this can be applied to formal diets in general. I don't want anything to be prohibited unless medically told to do so.
To me it seems to be more of a common sense approach.

Prohibited means different things during different phases. If I want to begin weight loss, I have to control carb intake so that ketosis kicks in and burns off the stored fat as my main fuel source. To start ketosis, the prohibited list is fairly large.

Once I get closer to my goal, carbs begin being reintroduced and the prohibited list shrinks considerably. This forces the body out of ketosis and allows the weight loss to slow down. At that point it becomes more about calorie control than carb counting. Once I am at my ideal weight and move into the maintenance phase carbs are a more common part of my diet. At that point I can experiment with foods that contain higher levels of carbs and determine which trigger weight gain and which don't have much of an affect. The ones that trigger weight gain stay on a prohibited list.

Some things are always prohibited. Soda, sugary items like ice cream, etc.. are considered prohibited. But of course I can choose to cheat on a rare occasion and have a meal that includes those things and be just fine assuming they do not become regularly consumed items. I don't see it as a bad thing because those are some of the major contributors to weight gain. Limiting them in a diet is a good way to balance my body's needs versus my brain's wants.

I've spent a lot of time researching and trying diets to figure out the one that fits my body's needs the best.

Weight Watchers, Mayo Clinic, 21-day fix, Biggest Loser, Southbeach, Fast, Body reset, extremely low calorie diets (similar to the one being discussed here), Whole 30, and Atkins. All of those diets have different requirements, but the only diet that provided me with sustainable weight loss, maintained my energy levels, and didn't deprive me of the things that I like has been the keto-diet (Atkins).

I realize that this is different for others, but I consider it a healthy diet in comparison to a severely restricted calorie diet. I found that one to be the worst out of all because eventually I became energy-deficient, had constant muscle cramps, and a constant feeling of starvation. It was not sustainable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss