Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 02:36 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
It's not a fad, it's something between fasting and classical dieting, carrying some benefits of both (I eat once a day). People always have a bunch of crap in their body, but a bit less after this diet and a half gallon+ of water daily. Fasting throughout the year is a very normal thing in Hindu and Muslim culture. It clears the mind and detoxes the body. I weighted 178.4 Monday after eating, before the 500 diet, now Wednesday evening after drinking a bunch of water I'm 174.6, I know I didn't crap the entire 4 pounds in 2 days, I've been having 1,000 calories for several days now.
Are you Hindu or Muslim? Is this something you have done your entire life?
You know what, it is your body to damage and whatever you believe must be true...

PS ~~ chips have no nutritional value no matter how you spin those ingredients to justify eating them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:34 AM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Are you Hindu or Muslim? Is this something you have done your entire life?
You know what, it is your body to damage and whatever you believe must be true...

PS ~~ chips have no nutritional value no matter how you spin those ingredients to justify eating them.
Actually I am. I've been around it all my life, also been vegetarian since childhood, ate meat as a teen and quit again, now I have some halal but only when it's available. Chips have fat carb and salt, not the worst option for people who aren't very overweight. I have very old grandparents who function on moon pies and wake up at 5am for some bojangle biscuits. I just don't buy all the hype about demonizing so many foods that people in other countries would love to have.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:02 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
The original post was asking how to pack as many nutrients as possible into 500 calories. Chips have very few nutrients. The oil in chips is not usually the good kind, so eating chips would not be packing as many nutrients as possible into your very low calorie plan. Eating another vegetable such as broccoli, green beans, or carrots with the added oil of your choice (olive, avocado, or any nut oil) and a little sprinkle of salt would provide much more nutrition.

Sugar has zero nutrition. Zero. Eating anything with sugar is adding empty calories which is counterproductive to your original request of packing nutrition into your allowed calories.

You can talk around it all day, it doesn't change the facts.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
The original post was asking how to pack as many nutrients as possible into 500 calories. Chips have very few nutrients. The oil in chips is not usually the good kind, so eating chips would not be packing as many nutrients as possible into your very low calorie plan. Eating another vegetable such as broccoli, green beans, or carrots with the added oil of your choice (olive, avocado, or any nut oil) and a little sprinkle of salt would provide much more nutrition.

Sugar has zero nutrition. Zero. Eating anything with sugar is adding empty calories which is counterproductive to your original request of packing nutrition into your allowed calories.

You can talk around it all day, it doesn't change the facts.
Doing this experiment I'm starting to think the rules change when you have only 500 to work with. It feels that carbs/fat can't be cut down as much as a full 2,500 diet. I'm starting day 3 and feel just fine, just weighted in at 173.0 before eating my measly 500 calorie meal (bo cheddar biscuit and cranberry juice), I certainly burn all 500 calories regardless of what it may be. Tomorrow I need to finish the veggies. My original quest is to lose weight (and stick to it), including fatty delicious things isn't a bad way to stick to something. Nutrition sites say sugar is a nutrient, just like saturated fat is a type of macro nutrient. Without getting all emotional I think we shouldn't try to change language. Just because people eat too many chips doesn't make chips bad, I think I had 8 chips on my first day, as opposed to 80+ I use to have.

Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone tried the 500 calorie diet?-biscuit.png  

Last edited by kynight; 09-28-2017 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: to add photo

Old 09-28-2017, 10:13 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Fasting is fine by me. But I still think this 500 calorie thing is nuts. I'm VERY goal oriented and have had periods where I cut a bit more to get there, but still I'd like to think in the long term. I just don't see any long term success with this one, OP.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Fasting is fine by me. But I still think this 500 calorie thing is nuts. I'm VERY goal oriented and have had periods where I cut a bit more to get there, but still I'd like to think in the long term. I just don't see any long term success with this one, OP.
I youtube'd a few videos of people doing it, many on the diet for more than a month. I think people can safely lose 3-4 pounds a week. The only difference in mine is I didn't buy the "HCG" drops. Instead I eat a $1.70 biscuit or organic egg, chips, mustard greens, vitamins etc. If people change their lifestyle they can keep it off. It took me forever to gradually gain weight.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
I youtube'd a few videos of people doing it, many on the diet for more than a month. I think people can safely lose 3-4 pounds a week. The only difference in mine is I didn't buy the "HCG" drops. Instead I eat a $1.70 biscuit or organic egg, mustard greens, vitamins etc. If people change their lifestyle they can keep it off. It took me forever to gradually gain weight.
How about a follow up photo of that woman 2 months later when all the weight came back. 500 calories a day will cause weight loss. Going back to eating more than 500 calories a day will cause weight gain, probably more than the loss. You are looking for a quick fix and you are eating crap to boot. Sorry but I don't see this ending well for you or getting anywhere near a healthy weight loss that will last.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:50 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
No doubt eating 500 calories will lose the weight.

Is it healthy? No.

Will it stay off? Probably not.

There is a difference between wanting to lose weight, and wanting to be healthy. I'll take healthy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2017, 11:10 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
I youtube'd a few videos of people doing it, many on the diet for more than a month. I think people can safely lose 3-4 pounds a week. The only difference in mine is I didn't buy the "HCG" drops. Instead I eat a $1.70 biscuit or organic egg, chips, mustard greens, vitamins etc. If people change their lifestyle they can keep it off. It took me forever to gradually gain weight.
I've always found those photos to be bogus. Just because her breasts amazingly remain close to the same size. When I started losing a big chunk of weight, my body cannibalized random areas. It didn't almost selectively reduce saddlebags, belly and arms while retaining a DD chest :/

I agree that changing one's lifestyle (including exercise) is the way to go. but is that drastic reduction diet really changing anything or just a quick fix to reach your goal.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
How about a follow up photo of that woman 2 months later when all the weight came back. 500 calories a day will cause weight loss. Going back to eating more than 500 calories a day will cause weight gain, probably more than the loss. You are looking for a quick fix and you are eating crap to boot. Sorry but I don't see this ending well for you or getting anywhere near a healthy weight loss that will last.
She very well could have kept it off. A fit person can burn way easier than an obese person, they're able to actually run instead of walk. What if she didn't gain, but instead quit losing additional weight? I think people also develop better eating habits after dieting. On a 2,000 or even 1,500 calorie diet there's no excuse for a person not to fit in enough vegetables, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss