Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 AM

282 posts, read 232,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I'm completely changing my diet even after I quit "dieting". This is actually part of a larger sports goal where the first step is to become fit again.

What is better about real sugar over artificial sweeter besides the cancer causing ingredient, in regard to losing weight?

My scale says I need to maintain 2,250 calories to keep my weight the same, but this is based on my current physical activity level, so probably more like 2,800. Sounds good.
You want to lose weight. So no, you can't go back up to 2250 calories, once you hit your target weight, and expect to maintain that target weight. That 2250 will maintain your current weight, at your current level of exercise.

Artificial sweetener contributes to overeating. Psychologically, people think, on a subconscious level, "Oh this icecream is 0-calorie sweetener so I can eat plenty of it." but in fact, it's only the sweetener that's 0 calorie. The fat content and the carbs of all the other ingredients all contribute to overall health and weight. Also physiologically if you are a sugar addict it can fool your system into thinking it's getting a fix, and then you'll withdraw just like it was regular sugar and make you need more. But since it's not real sugar, your body doesn't get the actual sugar it needs and will make you need even MORE because it's not getting ANY of what it's craving. Destructive cycle.

Don't try and substitute whole food for lab-made products. Real sugar, real honey, real agave, real maple syrup, and even real Karo corn syrup are all less harmful overall than saccharine or sucralose or any of the trendy substitute sweeteners on the market. As long as you're not diabetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 10:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
You want to lose weight. So no, you can't go back up to 2250 calories, once you hit your target weight, and expect to maintain that target weight. That 2250 will maintain your current weight, at your current level of exercise.

Artificial sweetener contributes to overeating. Psychologically, people think, on a subconscious level, "Oh this icecream is 0-calorie sweetener so I can eat plenty of it." but in fact, it's only the sweetener that's 0 calorie. The fat content and the carbs of all the other ingredients all contribute to overall health and weight. Also physiologically if you are a sugar addict it can fool your system into thinking it's getting a fix, and then you'll withdraw just like it was regular sugar and make you need more. But since it's not real sugar, your body doesn't get the actual sugar it needs and will make you need even MORE because it's not getting ANY of what it's craving. Destructive cycle.

Don't try and substitute whole food for lab-made products. Real sugar, real honey, real agave, real maple syrup, and even real Karo corn syrup are all less harmful overall than saccharine or sucralose or any of the trendy substitute sweeteners on the market. As long as you're not diabetic.
I understand your point, but the jury is out as to what is more harmful. There has been no concrete evidence that supports your point.
Some people MAY eat more because of they are choosing an artificially sweetened food. But not all do. Sometimes these types of foods can be helpful to those dieters who are not yet ready to give up certain things.
I can drink a Diet Coke (not very often) and I do not feel the need to overeat afterward.
For me the best mantra is, 'everything in moderation'.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:28 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
I'd eat protein and take a multivitamin.

Also I wouldn't.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:44 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post

My scale gives me a new calorie amount every time I weight myself with a new weight. It also has an "activity level", I set mine as 1 which is the lowest from 1-5.

Today I had a decaf black coffee and a hot tea both with no type of sugar whatsoever.

I finished my 4th day with many thoughts of my favorite foods. Today I had baked brussel sprouts asparagus walnuts with sea salt, chips, soy milk, peanut butter for my 500 calories. Tomorrow is my last day, then I go back to my previous 1,000 diet.
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone tried the 500 calorie diet?-20170929_143753.png  

Old 09-29-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd eat protein and take a multivitamin.

Also I wouldn't.
There's a guy on YT who did a 28 day water only diet, under medical supervision. He lost like 30 pounds, made a video 6 months later and hasn't gained the weight back. I'm doing a much less extreme diet, I actually eat food daily.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:13 AM

Today I weight 171.4 . I was 178 before the diet, but that was with a full stomach and water so I estimate I was really 175. So by day 5 I lost 3-4 pounds. My goal was 173, ultimate goal is 165 by Oct. 20th so I will switch gears and conclude the 500 calorie diet today.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 AM

Yesterday on day 5 I had 3 cup of fresh kale, 3 veggie bacon strips, a swiss cheese slice, and total cereal with whole milk. Today I weight 170.8, so lost about 4 pounds in 5 days. Now I'll start to gradually increase my calories.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:44 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,282,587 times
500 calories a day? Diet? More like a death march.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
500 calories a day? Diet? More like a death march.
half gallon of water with big pinch of sea salt, vitamins, herbal tea with no sugar helped out, u also have to breath deeply at times for more steady heart rate and maximum energy, stretching daily helps.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
You will love the 1000 cal...and you'll do great still losing...your
stomach will have shrunk a little, too....you know, not really shrink, but it does stretch.
You said vitamins...hope you mean minerals, too. No ans needed, just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss