Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

When I think of maintaining nutrition it include phytochemicals, bioflavonoids, antioxidants and things like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
doesn't have to be the gym. I work out at a gym because of convenience. i live in always hot texas, plus I like to lift weights and my gym has a lot for me to work with. you're on the right track by adding exercise into your plan. It wasn't my intention to come off so heavy handed but I can't stress how important exercise is when it comes to weight loss. It's often downplayed, meanwhile people are going bonkers because despite eating "only X calories" nothing happens. our bodies are made to burn calories for energy. people aren't utilizing the calories they consume. of course you can't out run your fork, but from my firsthand experience, it helps the metabolism immensely.

That's about how many calories that I eat for dinner :/
I think it's important to exercise which is one reason I'm on this diet, because I'm not able to exercise as much as I would want. More physical movement makes the mind tired which my job requires my mind. I'm also trying to change up my work because it mentally burns me out at times which isn't sustainable.

I use to eat all I wanted even late into the night, took me 30 years to see the scale approach 200, I need to start playing like a kid again if I'm going to enjoy foods.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
I did the 4:3 diet on and off over a year and went from 205 to 165 and have abs and defined muscles. I didn't step on a treadmill once. You can absolutely doet hard and keep it off but it requires self discipline. You can go binging every day once the diet is over, eating the right amount each day is a lifestyle and exercise is not a requirment. In fact I think for most people exercise is counter productive. It's hard on the joints for a heavy person and IMO it is a tool that should be utilized when a person is closer to their goal weight.
That sounds like a good diet. I effectively did that a couple times the past 2 months when I had a cheat day. My mistake was a bunch of bread which I learned holds water. I agree about the joints, one reason I want to perfect the diet before I go into exercise.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When I think of maintaining nutrition it include phytochemicals, bioflavonoids, antioxidants and things like that.
Tomorrow I'm planning for some baked veggies, dark chocolate, walnuts.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Wow, I can’t believe we are discussing the calories in tea and black pepper right now.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
So my first 500 calorie food for the day was,

Lentils soup (160)
BBQ chips (60)
Fried egg (no oil) with shredded cheese melted (70+110)
Teaspoon of peanut butter on a banana chip (100)
No vegetables?!?!?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:28 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
When limited to 500 calories we need all the protein carbs and fat we can find. My daily diet had,
27 grams of carb (108 calories)
25 grams of protein (100 calories)
28 grams of fat (252 calories)

all of which are way way way less than what calls from a full 2,500 calorie diet. Is fat not a nutrient? I also had a multivitamin, iron and calcium tablet.
Yes fat is a nutrient but the kind found in most store bought fried foods are not very nutritious.

If you feel okay, then that's fine for you, but I'd be feeling a little peckish with so little food. I'd spend those calories on a steamed non-starchy vegetable dressed with a tsp of olive oil or avocado oil.

Hmmm I'm thinking, what I'd actually eat if I were to have only 500 calories.

I'd skip breakfast. I'd do the 18:6 intermittant fasting thing and eat from noon to 6 PM.

Lunch would be bean or lentil soup 150
A small apple or a hard boiled egg or 13 raw almonds 80

Dinner 4 oz cooked chicken breast 200
1 cup steamed green beans with 1 tsp oil 60

Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
One local doctor (a chiropractor) was advertising a weight loss plan that promised a 20 - 40 lb. weight loss per month. They did an initial scan on your hand (yeah - so bogus) that would indicate something or other, plus measure your BMI. The plan basically turned out to be a 500 calorie a day eating plan. Oh, and for their comprehensive program, the total cost was $!,800.00. Of course, there were also all kinds of "supplements available as well. Since I have had previous liver problems, I ran the idea by my gastroenterologist and he was horrified. He said that this type of drastic curtailment could damage the liver and that weight loss should be much slower and steadier (not to mention a lot cheaper). For some reason, I think the advice of an actual medical doctor has more gravitas than that of a franchised chiropractor's (the weight loss plan is franchised to chiropractors only. Actual bariatric physicians won't touch it.)

Old 09-27-2017, 08:53 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,657 times
Quote:
Suppose after the 5 days are up, you gradually increase your food by 100 calories each day, would this be a way to keep off the weight?
I lost weight using the 500 calorie two days a week(never two days in a row). all other days normal 2000 cal . weight comes off due to normal gradual calorie restriction and body metabolism stays normal throughout the week. no binging, no excessive alcohol .

Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Wow, I can’t believe we are discussing the calories in tea and black pepper right now.
When I first started dieting I was pretty close to estimating calories but things like tea can throw it off. I never knew tea had so few calories, 2 cals means I can drink it all day and feel full. Chai has many even though traditional chai is drunk in a double shot size cup. If you love spice it's good to know how many calories are in pepper or seasoning, if any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss