Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:04 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,569 times

Advertisements

You try to pack as much nutrients into 500 calories per day. I think it's even less than a military diet. What foods would you include in only 500 calories per day? This diet would only be for 5 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
This is not a good idea. You need more calories than that. You of course will lose weight, but it will come right back once you go back to eating normally.
Try a more balanced approach for losing weight. There are a few different avenues you can pursue that will give you better results all the way around.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 PM

Suppose after the 5 days are up, you gradually increase your food by 100 calories each day, would this be a way to keep off the weight?

Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Suppose after the 5 days are up, you gradually increase your food by 100 calories each day, would this be a way to keep off the weight?
The best way to lose weight then maintain it is to find a good nutrition filled program *weight watchers*
and cut calories that way. Then maintain by making a complete lifestyle change.
Any other fad, farkle or sparkle will not work, will generally make you ill, will ensure you gain back double what you lost.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:13 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is not a good idea. You need more calories than that. You of course will lose weight, but it will come right back once you go back to eating normally.
Try a more balanced approach for losing weight. There are a few different avenues you can pursue that will give you better results all the way around.
I am in the same camp

Any of the weight you have gained was packed onto your body slowly over a period of time. Most likely years

Losing it slowly and steadily is the most effective and healthiest way to get it off and KEEP it off.

Devise a way to drop a couple lbs a week. Be it thru diet change - portion control - added exercise or a combination of any of those. Dropping 8-10lbs in a month is the ideal weight loss plan.

Its fast enough to make the changes noticeable and its gradual enough you are not tricking or shocking your body into a state that it will soon revert back out of after the initial phase

Simply learn to eat better foods and lesser portions and NO SNACKING all day on sugary or processed food type snacks.

if possible cut way back on carb laden foods ( potatos rice bread pasta ) This one single move all by itself can drop those 10lbs a month without changing anything else.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:55 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
OP, stop the insanity. Please.

do not entertain going on any 500 calorie diet, even if it is for a week. Any weight "lost" will be quickly regained the moment you add more food (which you're going to have to do, albeit gradually or not). Starvation diets do not work in the long term and if the diet can't be sustained, don't bother wreaking havoc on your body.

this is why dieting alone doesn't work. people like to preach that diet is the most important factor in weight loss. It's one of many factors. Neglecting exercise is a mistake. Sooner or later you're gonna hit a plateau and you're forced to have to cut more and more calories each time. Then you become miserable because you're hungry. I don't know about most people, but I get delirious (ok, not really but you get the picture) with hunger when I eat 1000-1200 calories. That triggers bingeing - my body's response to what it perceives to be starvation.

Instead, download a fitness app. I like Lose It. sensibly reduce calories per the fitness app. add exercise into the equation, gradually increasing duration and intensity. for the dieters who are just cutting calories, what can help bust your plateau is adding physical activity. Your body is made to burn stuff. No starving required. I *rarely* ate below 1400 calories when I was losing weight, and I've lost over 70 lbs. In fact, I had at one time two "cheat days" and still lost weight. (Had to drop one when I got leaner in order to keep losing).

Weight Watchers is ok, but I personally wouldn't bother with their diet. I was always hungry when I followed their points system. Forget points, use "real world" calories on the boxes and maintain your food budget. You'll be happier and more sane. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The best way to lose weight then maintain it is to find a good nutrition filled program *weight watchers*
and cut calories that way. Then maintain by making a complete lifestyle change.
Any other fad, farkle or sparkle will not work, will generally make you ill, will ensure you gain back double what you lost.
I'm in a good habit of eating the most nutrient rich foods so not very concerned there. I'm timing my diet so that when my goal is reached next month, is when I also start a new routine that would keep me active (I'm getting back into sports). But I haven't decided the best way to ease back into a 2,500 calorie diet.

During this 500 diet I must be burning 1000-1500 calories a day with my currently less active lifestyle. I walk half an hour and stretch but it's much less active than I have been. I was never obese, did gain a BMI of 26 when my life went dark for a while.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
What foods would you include in only 500 calories per day?
diet would only be for 5 days.
Answering your ques....hmm, me? I probably would have 2 70 cal hardboiled organic eggs during the day, just salt and pepper....
if I got bored, tobasco or anything with no calories for flavor....
However, I believe the whole idea (for me) would be to make food NOT yummy...just fuel...to change my mindset/attitude about food..and taste bud desire.

I would broil org white meat chicken and have 3-4 ounces only once a day. Dunno the calories, sorry.
Hmmm, then steamed dark leafy veggies, (celery sometimes, for a change could be cabbage)...for supper and any snacking.
so we have :
-2 org eggs
-3-4 oz org white meat
-steamed dark greens, celery or cabbage
-simple spices
-A multivitamin- mineral supplement...capsule only
-Water 80 ounces daily...
-Maybe 3/4 cup of coffee black or Earl Grey tea

You didn't ask for comments...just what would we do.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Devise a way to drop a couple lbs a week. Be it thru diet change - portion control - added exercise or a combination of any of those. Dropping 8-10lbs in a month is the ideal weight loss plan.
if possible cut way back on carb laden foods ( potatos rice bread pasta ) This one single move all by itself can drop those 10lbs a month without changing anything else.
I've done a combination of those and have lost about 8 pounds per month, then hit a plateau and went more extreme... I have absolutely no sugary foods or bread, rice. So I expect to really lose, today being my first day. People on youtube who have tried the diet say it works, almost losing 1 pound per day and doing this for weeks at a time. I'm only doing 5 days, maybe 3 if results come quickly. I've done different variations of dieting including fasting, cheat days where I basically eat 2,000 calories.

I learned soy milk has half the calories as whole milk but the same amount of protein.

Still not sure how many days this "transition" from extreme dieting up to normal dieting should be.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:48 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
I've done a combination of those and have lost about 8 pounds per month, then hit a plateau and went more extreme... I have absolutely no sugary foods or bread, rice. So I expect to really lose, today being my first day. People on youtube who have tried the diet say it works, almost losing 1 pound per day and doing this for weeks at a time. I'm only doing 5 days, maybe 3 if results come quickly. I've done different variations of dieting including fasting, cheat days where I basically eat 2,000 calories.

I learned soy milk has half the calories as whole milk but the same amount of protein.

Still not sure how many days this "transition" from extreme dieting up to normal dieting should be.
Be very aware of how many calories you are drinking also

A sugar laden juice here - a soft drink there or a sports drink once a day will crush any gains from lower calories eaten by you possible consuming 500+ calories a day via drinks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss