Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I was actually hungrier when I ate 1,000-1,500 calories. The "starvation" mode burns weight. My work life is sitting down so I really can't exercise much besides walking for body movement.

I have doubts that diet isn't the single most important factor in weight loss. Someone can walk for an hour and only loss 200 calories if they're lucky. 1 full hour is a lot of walking (not standing), hardly sustainable unless your job requires walking. I have no problem during the weekend running a few miles but for many that kind of energy is precious, doing house chores, etc. So exercise isn't as practical as dieting. I guess this is why most Americans are fat, 90% of the foods are either unhealthy or too delicious to eat in moderation.

My thing is I don't want to wait. I'm fit now so it's not really a big deal, I can gain 10 lbs and still be in the normal range. I never realized how much sugar is in a can of Busch's baked beans.
Oh I know, they put sugar in everything! I was using seasoned vinegar for my cole slaw till I read the label and noticed they put high fructose corn syrup in that too! Sheesh.

My personal opinion is that diet is most important to regulate my weight. I walk which does help but it also helps improve my mood/mental health which is also a big help in weight loss.

BTW mainsteam medicine has finally realized what the low carbers have know for decades now. Cholesterol in food has nothing to do with raising bad cholesterol in your bloodstream. So you are safe eating a few eggs per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:07 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
I was actually hungrier when I ate 1,000-1,500 calories. The "starvation" mode burns weight. My work life is sitting down so I really can't exercise much besides walking for body movement.

I have doubts that diet isn't the single most important factor in weight loss. Someone can walk for an hour and only loss 200 calories if they're lucky. 1 full hour is a lot of walking (not standing), hardly sustainable unless your job requires walking. I have no problem during the weekend running a few miles but for many that kind of energy is precious, doing house chores, etc. So exercise isn't as practical as dieting. I guess this is why most Americans are fat, 90% of the foods are either unhealthy or too delicious to eat in moderation.

My thing is I don't want to wait. I'm fit now so it's not really a big deal, I can gain 10 lbs and still be in the normal range. I never realized how much sugar is in a can of Busch's baked beans.
Diet isn't the single most important factor in weight loss. Exercise is just as important and should be in conjunction with a healthy diet. If you burn only 200 calories for an entire hour ("if you're lucky"), I'm afraid that's strolling. I burn almost double that in a little over half the time...and there are cardio junkies who are more efficient than me. Because I exercise (and I started out as a couch potato), I didn't have to do any 500 calorie radical diet. I never went below 1450 calories. Technically, I can eat more now because I burn more. Whatever weight you're burning isn't a bunch of fat and if it's muscle, that isn't good either.

Many Americans are fat because they eat too much and move too little. They aren't even attempting to burn off all of the big quantities of food that they eat. I was one such American, but not anymore. Many people don't like to exert themselves more than they should, that is why you have so many of those infomercials promising rapid weight loss 'with no exercise required'. It's one thing if one can't physically exercise, but you are shortchanging yourself by only dieting. I have arthritis and exercise is probably the only reason why I'm not confined to my bed most days with pain. For health reasons, being lightly active or not active isn't an option. It's very practical to exercise...I am a working mom with two kids, and a wife. I work in a grueling industry. I *had to make time when it came to my health, considering my health issues. I'm sounding preachy I know...but it can't be overstated - exercise is also important for weight loss. I see many obese people at my gym suiting up and exercising. kudos to them! they're on their way to a healthier lifestyle each time they show up.

Lastly, exercise makes me look better too. I didn't want to be just "thin"...I want to look and be fit.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
150 for the eggs plus 200 for 4 oz cooked chicken. Steamed greens have hardly any calories worth counting. You'd starve to death girl!
Hi Lilly,
Guess I'd have another egg or 2, huh, lol!
When I'm sick with the flu or the like...I have a piece of toast in 3 days...maybe a little broth for
electrolytes...I don't think I'd starve. Then VERY little for another couple of days.
(I don't get sick much)
I've fasted many times for 5 days...and lots for 3...did great! (not for weight loss)
200 for that chicken, eh? Sounds high, but I believe you. Thanks

I forgot nuts, like 10 almonds a day? I haven't done any researching on calories...you can tell...

Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Oh I know, they put sugar in everything! I was using seasoned vinegar for my cole slaw till I read the label and noticed they put high fructose corn syrup in that too! Sheesh.

My personal opinion is that diet is most important to regulate my weight. I walk which does help but it also helps improve my mood/mental health which is also a big help in weight loss.

BTW mainsteam medicine has finally realized what the low carbers have know for decades now. Cholesterol in food has nothing to do with raising bad cholesterol in your bloodstream. So you are safe eating a few eggs per day.
It's good to hear cholesterol isn't bad because I love eggs. A few months ago I was eating lots of food, 2 or 3 eggs and felt unhealthy, but I ate much more than eggs. I also needed the toast and jam or butter. I learn to have eggs with only spice.

I think in the 70s-90s food companies needed for carbs to dominate the food pyramid to make a profit. Corn and wheat is the big agricultural crop. When I was in Asia I felt malnourished for a few weeks because they simply don't have the corn/processed sugary foods, which seems mostly available in north america. Our foods taste much better, like a drug that satisfies ur craving but hurts u in the end.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Diet isn't the single most important factor in weight loss. Exercise is just as important and should be in conjunction with a healthy diet. If you burn only 200 calories for an entire hour ("if you're lucky"), I'm afraid that's strolling. I burn almost double that in a little over half the time...and there are cardio junkies who are more efficient than me. Because I exercise (and I started out as a couch potato), I didn't have to do any 500 calorie radical diet. I never went below 1450 calories. Technically, I can eat more now because I burn more. Whatever weight you're burning isn't a bunch of fat and if it's muscle, that isn't good either.

Many Americans are fat because they eat too much and move too little. They aren't even attempting to burn off all of the big quantities of food that they eat. I was one such American, but not anymore. Many people don't like to exert themselves more than they should, that is why you have so many of those infomercials promising rapid weight loss 'with no exercise required'. It's one thing if one can't physically exercise, but you are shortchanging yourself by only dieting. I have arthritis and exercise is probably the only reason why I'm not confined to my bed most days with pain. For health reasons, being lightly active or not active isn't an option. It's very practical to exercise...I am a working mom with two kids, and a wife. I work in a grueling industry. I *had to make time when it came to my health, considering my health issues. I'm sounding preachy I know...but it can't be overstated - exercise is also important for weight loss. I see many obese people at my gym suiting up and exercising. kudos to them! they're on their way to a healthier lifestyle each time they show up.

Lastly, exercise makes me look better too. I didn't want to be just "thin"...I want to look and be fit.
I just don't think it's natural to be in a gym everyday or every other day. I like cycling and basketball so plan to add that into my routine. I accept the muscle loss just because I want to become smaller and know muscle will come back. If u fit protein into 500 calories it's not so bad. I easily fit 25 grams of protein into 500 calories, that's 20% protein calories, a higher percentage than I would want on a full calorie diet. Last night I did a bunch of ab workouts on the floor, shin workouts and push ups. I feel the burn right now, don't want to do more until these 5 days are over.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:35 PM

So my first 500 calorie food for the day was,

Lentils soup (160)
BBQ chips (60)
Fried egg (no oil) with shredded cheese melted (70+110)
Teaspoon of peanut butter on a banana chip (100)

Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:

Lentils soup (160)
BBQ chips (60)

Why would you go for chips if you are concerned about nutrients?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
I just don't think it's natural to be in a gym everyday or every other day. I like cycling and basketball so plan to add that into my routine. I accept the muscle loss just because I want to become smaller and know muscle will come back. If u fit protein into 500 calories it's not so bad. I easily fit 25 grams of protein into 500 calories, that's 20% protein calories, a higher percentage than I would want on a full calorie diet. Last night I did a bunch of ab workouts on the floor, shin workouts and push ups. I feel the burn right now, don't want to do more until these 5 days are over.
doesn't have to be the gym. I work out at a gym because of convenience. i live in always hot texas, plus I like to lift weights and my gym has a lot for me to work with. you're on the right track by adding exercise into your plan. It wasn't my intention to come off so heavy handed but I can't stress how important exercise is when it comes to weight loss. It's often downplayed, meanwhile people are going bonkers because despite eating "only X calories" nothing happens. our bodies are made to burn calories for energy. people aren't utilizing the calories they consume. of course you can't out run your fork, but from my firsthand experience, it helps the metabolism immensely.

Quote:

Lentils soup (160)
BBQ chips (60)
That's about how many calories that I eat for dinner :/

Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 PM

276 posts, read 178,646 times
I did the 4:3 diet on and off over a year and went from 205 to 165 and have abs and defined muscles. I didn't step on a treadmill once. You can absolutely doet hard and keep it off but it requires self discipline. You can go binging every day once the diet is over, eating the right amount each day is a lifestyle and exercise is not a requirment. In fact I think for most people exercise is counter productive. It's hard on the joints for a heavy person and IMO it is a tool that should be utilized when a person is closer to their goal weight.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why would you go for chips if you are concerned about nutrients?
When limited to 500 calories we need all the protein carbs and fat we can find. My daily diet had,
27 grams of carb (108 calories)
25 grams of protein (100 calories)
28 grams of fat (252 calories)

all of which are way way way less than what calls from a full 2,500 calorie diet. Is fat not a nutrient? I also had a multivitamin, iron and calcium tablet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss