Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:22 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
What happens when you have a low blood sugar episode? Hope you're okay.
I'm fine, thanks. If I'm sleeping (that's almost always when I have them) it wakes me up.
Here are the signs of very low blood sugar:
1. Getting very hungry.
2. Getting very hot.
3. White spots in vision. It can be hard to see if it gets low enough.

My blood sugar was 48. A cup of Cap'n Crunch and a swig of milk takes care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Good call! I'm a strong believer that any negative side effects are meant to be addressed.
No choice but to address it. The alternative is passing out.
I was still able to fast for 16 hrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 02:21 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
Yesterday was my typical 16:8 IF (eating from 11-7). Ate too much pizza for dinner last night, so going to aim for a minimum of an 18 hour fast today....

Old 01-17-2019, 04:23 AM

Back to 23:1 yesterday. No low sugar attacks!
Since this is a holiday weekend coming up, I'm going to go for a longer fast.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Back to 23:1 yesterday. No low sugar attacks!
Since this is a holiday weekend coming up, I'm going to go for a longer fast.
The fast has begun... going until Sunday AM, which is 60 hrs.
I have a lot of vacation and take off many Mondays between mid-March and mid-November.
I may be doing a lot of these type fasts on these 3-day weekends.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:45 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
18:6 for me yesterday. Going for a 22 hour fast today!

Good luck eaton53! (although you likely won't need it!)

Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
18:6 for me yesterday. Going for a 22 hour fast today!

Good luck eaton53! (although you likely won't need it!)
Hi Lucy...
We're having a big snowstorm here during most of this thing so I'll probably be stuck inside, not going anywhere.
I'd like to go to the Y on Saturday if it's not too bad outside.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:07 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Back in the old days we just called intermittent fasting skipping breakfast. Seems silly to use the word fasting for the period between the last meal of day one and the first meal of day 2. Anything less than 24 hours without eating shouldn't be called fasting. Just my opinion and sure to be unpopular. Irregular eating seems more appropriate.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Back in the old days we just called intermittent fasting skipping breakfast. Seems silly to use the word fasting for the period between the last meal of day one and the first meal of day 2. Anything less than 24 hours without eating shouldn't be called fasting. Just my opinion and sure to be unpopular. Irregular eating seems more appropriate.
The word breakfast has been around since the 15th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast

Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
If this topic is redundant it can be binned or moved.

But with general discussions on Intermittent Fasting can members post their actual Fasting & Intermittent Fasting schedules for yesterday?

Not your "planned" IF today but what you actually did yesterday?

17:5, 18:6, 19:5, 20:4, 21;3, 22:2, 23:1?

It would be good to know who is doing what and you can note the effects of your IFing.

It's OK if one gets tempted and decides to eat. That's OK. Everyday is different and it's not the end of the world and I don't IF everyday.

So for me, Yesterday:

January, 9, 2019:

I did a 24 hour fast. So, 24:0

On Jan. 8th, I finished my second meal of the day, dinner at 6:03 PM. I keep a notebook to log in my finishing time of my last meal of the day/night.

The following day, yesterday Jan. 9th, I started to eat my first meal of the day at 6:07 pm with 1 banana.

and hour and a half later later I started to eat to my dinner (halibut, wild rice, mashed potatoes and peas) finishing that at 9:02 pm.

Tell us about your IF yesterday.

Simple question.
What did starving yourself for 24 hours achieve ?
I'd guess you felt pretty miserable for most of the time.Probably ravenously hungry for the latter part of it.
Your stomach acids would have had a field day churning up your guts with nothing in there to work on.
You probably had a headache as well.
Obviously you would have felt a sense of personal pride thinking you had mental strength to not eat anything solid.
But what,actually,did it achieve ?
The human body evolved on this earth because human wanted to avoid being hungry.
You're going back to the Stone Age.
Except then they didn't have skinny lattes.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Simple question.
What did starving yourself for 24 hours achieve?
Easy... I just measured my blood sugar and it's 134 with zero insulin.
That means tomorrow will be another day taking zero insulin.

The only other time this ever happened was during Christmas to New Year fast... 6 days with zero insulin.
What does it achieve? Fasting + no insulin = big weight loss.

It's much harder to lose weight when I'm shooting up. If I eat, I have to shoot even if I'm eating low carb.
My doctor has classes for overweight diabetics. Previously it was just a low carb diet, but people were getting stuck so he added IF.

Last edited by eaton53; 01-18-2019 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss