Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 09:02 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
25 lbs in less than 2 months is too much too soon. Let the poor man eat something.

This is what it sounds like to me. I went low carb 2 weeks before her hubby did (a little over 8 weeks now), and I'm still at about 8-10 lbs weight loss. He's on keto not low carb. I stick to about 100-150 grams of carbs per day, but as previously mentioned I ate a whole pie (blueberry, my favorite) over Christmas and it didn't have any effect on my weight. I made sure I stopped at 1.
He can eat what ever he wants, I am not the one telling him he can't. But he's afraid to go off the deep end if he cheats. that night he ended up eating a bag of pirates booty (like cheese doodles) he felt better. it was not a huge bag. He's been ok since then. we all get that no matter what weight loss plan we are on. I don't agree that 25 lbs it too much too soon. he also has at least 100 lbs if not a bit more too lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 07:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I'm afraid he's gonna gain it all back because it sounds like husband is being starved of carbs which leads to weight loss in the short run but hasn't fix the actual problem which is insulin sensitivity. The reason people get hungry or desire carbs is due to insulin and gut biome. Your gut bacteria can dictate what you like to eat. If you don't control insulin, eventually will happen is he'll get miserable and suddenly break out of the diet and the weight will easily come back.

I lost weight due to keto but mainly I fixed my insulin problem, I had ice cream only once in the last 6 months. I've eaten carbs but wasn't in large quantities and didn't feel I need to have it.

But my waist has reduced down many sizes.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm afraid he's gonna gain it all back because it sounds like husband is being starved of carbs which leads to weight loss in the short run but hasn't fix the actual problem which is insulin sensitivity. The reason people get hungry or desire carbs is due to insulin and gut biome. Your gut bacteria can dictate what you like to eat. If you don't control insulin, eventually will happen is he'll get miserable and suddenly break out of the diet and the weight will easily come back.

I lost weight due to keto but mainly I fixed my insulin problem, I had ice cream only once in the last 6 months. I've eaten carbs but wasn't in large quantities and didn't feel I need to have it.

Once again, weight loss is personal. The plan that succeed is the one that the dieter can stay on for the long haul. What you do works for you and that is great. But you tend to give your opinions like they are actual facts, which they are not.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:23 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,545,735 times
I find "Perfect Keto" bars to completely taste like the best candy out there but are low in net carbs. It gets me through it.

Try the peanut butt ones .. mmmmm.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

He's not being starved of carbs. He eats some but not many. His BS levels are very low, in fact too low. 73 this morning. He has to get Blood work done to see what his A1C is. He might be able to get off of some of his diabetic meds.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Once again, weight loss is personal. The plan that succeed is the one that the dieter can stay on for the long haul. What you do works for you and that is great. But you tend to give your opinions like they are actual facts, which they are not.
Thank you!

Old 02-09-2021, 12:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
He's not being starved of carbs. He eats some but not many. His BS levels are very low, in fact too low. 73 this morning. He has to get Blood work done to see what his A1C is. He might be able to get off of some of his diabetic meds.
Then what you posted is contradiction. You said he's finding low carb to be hard but yet it is the key to the diet. If he gets off of it, diabetes will come back.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:27 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

That's for sure!

Old 02-09-2021, 01:36 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,545,735 times
Quote:
My husband is doing a low carb diet (not full on keto) He has been doing very well since 2 weeks before Christmas. I would say he's lost about 25 pounds so far. for some reason tonight he is jonsing for something else as he calls it. Tonight I made him salmon and cauliflower fried rice. Then he had some cheese for a snack.
Couple of tricks

1. Know that after you have been on low carb for a while you will get used to it. You just lose your cravings for sugar. It just takes longer for some people.

2. I find that salt and pickles are just such an odd taste it really helps with cravings.

3. There are many "faux" keto items that taste great and can really hit the sweet spot. There is actually a candy called Lilly's... almost tastes like the real thing. Salted Caramel... mmmm

My fear is that he is getting a low variety of foods that is making him tired of low carbs. Be sure to start looking for low carb products. Like Aldi's makes a great keto bread. Nero net carbs.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:37 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
He can eat what ever he wants, I am not the one telling him he can't. But he's afraid to go off the deep end if he cheats. that night he ended up eating a bag of pirates booty (like cheese doodles) he felt better. it was not a huge bag. He's been ok since then. we all get that no matter what weight loss plan we are on. I don't agree that 25 lbs it too much too soon. he also has at least 100 lbs if not a bit more too lose.

The concern with losing too much too fast is that people who do will gain it back. This doesn't seem to be a proven fact but its the reason why most medical professionals recommend 1-2 lbs a week as "healthy weight loss".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss