Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 11:04 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,296,275 times

Advertisements

Havent read the whole thread but if I were you I'd be happy with 35 pounds in 5 months. That's 84 lbs a year. There may be ways to lose faster but why? Isn't 84 lbs a year fast enough? That's a huge amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 11:18 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
The OP is doing basically a low carb diet, losing weight is easy when you don't consume carbs. Fat storage is caused by the abundance of carb loading or over eating of proteins.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:11 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The OP is doing basically a low carb diet, losing weight is easy when you don't consume carbs. Fat storage is caused by the abundance of carb loading or over eating of proteins.
Just because you keeping repeating this does not make it true. How about 'for SOME people doing low carb is an easy way to lose weight". Although losing weight is never easy. That is the inherent problem with any diet is that they are not easy. People who think any kind of dieting is easy will inevitably fail.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:14 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Just because you keeping repeating this does not make it true. How about 'for SOME people doing low carb is an easy way to lose weight". Although losing weight is never easy. That is the inherent problem with any diet is that they are not easy. People who think any kind of dieting is easy will inevitably fail.
And the OP is practically starving himself and exercising for hours a day, which is borderline disordered.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:55 AM

575 posts, read 339,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Havent read the whole thread but if I were you I'd be happy with 35 pounds in 5 months. That's 84 lbs a year. There may be ways to lose faster but why? Isn't 84 lbs a year fast enough? That's a huge amount.
I'm pretty sure we cannot extrapolate it like that.

I reckon everybody who has tried losing weight understands that it slows down significantly at a certain point. And if they haven't experienced themselves, they read about it.

First, the metabolism at 325 pounds is different than at 225 pounds. Exercising at 100 pounds less burns significantly less calories.

It's a simple physics - when you are running with 100 pounds more weight, you obviously must exert additional force for those 100 additional pounds you are carrying.

Back to your original question - my primary point was that via juicing I lost 35 pounds in just 18 days. Using old-fashioned starvation diet, same 35 pounds took ~5 months.

However, juicing is brutal and unsustainable across liong-term period. Starvation diet is perfectly doable long-term, as long as you get used to being hungry all the time.

Either way, as of right now, I reached some goals and am quite happy with my progress. Even if it took almost 6 months to get here.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
2-3 hours of walking is great if it's getting you at least 10 miles round trip. If it takes you 2-3 hours to go just 2-3 miles, then that's not exercise. That's going for a walk.
Actually, yesterday I did a single uninterrupted 10-mile walk. Took me 3 hours and 20 minutes.
That's slightly above 3 mph.

Today I tried a faster walk and for first 90 minutes I could comfortably maintain 3.5 mph. After 2.5 hours I dropped to 3.2 mph as I was running out of fuel - because last 3 days I have only been eating dinner ~1,000 calories and then staying hungry for 24 hours.

My long-term average is 2.75 mph (5.5 mile section taking me exactly 2 hours)

More than good enough for me. According to an online calorie calculator, I burnt somewhere around 1,250 calories. I reckon that's slightly more than sitting on a couch
In theory, that single walk burns more calories than my food intake.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And the OP is:
1. practically starving himself and
2. exercising for hours a day,
3. which is borderline disordered.
First part - that is correct

Second part - uhm, I am just walking my dog for 3 hours a day. I don't think we can call this 'exercise' It burns some calories, yes. But I am not sweating, nor raising my HR significantly.

Third part - it's a thin line, yes - but I believe I walk that edge just fine

Old 03-24-2021, 11:23 AM

I actually have a great progress to share, even if it's just 5 additional pounds.

Around March 12 I dropped to 225. That's 45 pounds in ~5 months.

Which is exactly 100 pounds less (325-225) than ~3 yrs ago at my max. So, I finally joined the 100-pound club

Now comes the easy part - maintaining it

Old 03-24-2021, 11:35 AM

I am working on what is probably the last goal. By April 8, I need to get to 220, so that I can say I lost 50 pounds in 6 months (since Oct-08).

Yesterday I was closer to 220 than 225 (it's not a digital scale), so I sure hope I won't get stuck in some 3-week plateau now, as I am very close to it.

Today is my third day when I eat only once a day - a dinner (~around 1,000 calories) and walk about 3-4 hours a day (10-12 miles).

I can literally feel the point during walking when I run out of fuel and get lightheaded...

My Husky's dry food is actually looking pretty darn tasty right now

Old 03-24-2021, 12:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
i hate starvation diets. they are unavoidable when you are looking to get ab definition but without the exact right balance you will feel low energy and end up overeating to counter that. my primary diet to get to that next level is "the oats diet." i invented it but you seem to have incorporated it because you probably learned what i have. that plain rolled oatmeal is very filling for the amount of calories you consume. a 3/4 cup serving of oatmeal is about 225 calories and is so filling many people cant consume it in one sitting and it will last.

but if you arent trying for a six pack, then there is no need to get to that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss