Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 03:31 PM

575 posts, read 339,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Are you strictly low carb? When I was strictly low carb I didn't experience hunger. And I lost 55 pounds. Which is the nice thing about low carb. The hard thing about low carb is that it's hard to stay low carb (especially if you like bread, like I do).
I most definitely wouldn't call my diet low carb. I mean, I removed a sh*t-ton of carbs in the form of huge quantities of bread and sugar in oatmeal. But, it's still a lot of carbs in the form of oats,rice,potato,beans/peas/etc.

I have a side of carbs (rice/potato/beans/peas/corn/etc) every single day. Even every third day, when I don't eat for 24 hours and then just have normal dinner (after which I am hungry within 45 minutes again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
You might want to try something called the "Slow Carb" diet. A diet touted by Tim Ferris. In effect, it's low carb with beans and lentils. And one cheat day a week. On your cheat day you eat or drink anything you want. I did that and still lost 55 pounds.--
Thanks, I will look it up now. The last 20 pounds will be very hard to get rid of, but I won't be in a huge hurry once I reach the 50 pounds in 6 months goal (hopefully within next 2 weeks, if my metabolism agrees).

So, every idea will come in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you think its the height or the hair? both would attract attention. i always felt that height gave guys a definite advantage in certain situations even above better looking guys.
Well, I have always been 6'3", practically since age of 13-14, so that hasn't changed. I guess I just wasn't noticing it, since my ex-GF was losing her mind how I didn't notice other women flirting with me. But, she was ~9/10 (and really short), out of my league definitely, so that always brings out competetiveness in other women (understandably).

I can't say how many times I heard a woman tell me that they have a 'thing' for tall guys and that most of their girlfriends feel the same. There was some research and stats across some dating sites recently that this was usually first or second cut-off criteria, for most [though, not all] women.

Being 6'3", you stand out automatically practically everywhere. So, you get noticed, whether you want or not. It certainly helped me in learning to flirt on a dime and now I can spin it up in a second, all it takes is just one look.

That being said, once I grew the long hair 2 yrs ago (currently it's slightly below my nipples), I noticed instant spike in female interest. I have to admit, I had no idea I had this kind of hair, as whole my life, I had just a military haircut (quarter-inch hedgehog).

Also, in my age category, a lot of men have lost their hair or are getting bald (only god knows how much time I got left, myself). I reckon that helps.

I also don't have a problem wearing bright colors now, like aquamarine, pink, white, red, bright green, orange, yellow. If you stand out, you might as well enhance it and I recently learnt to like and appreciate nice clothes

Old 03-26-2021, 07:48 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
I most definitely wouldn't call my diet low carb. I mean, I removed a sh*t-ton of carbs in the form of huge quantities of bread and sugar in oatmeal. But, it's still a lot of carbs in the form of oats,rice,potato,beans/peas/etc.

I have a side of carbs (rice/potato/beans/peas/corn/etc) every single day. Even every third day, when I don't eat for 24 hours and then just have normal dinner (after which I am hungry within 45 minutes again).
One thing I've found is that when I'm low carb, I don't get hungry. The reason for that is insulin. When you eat a big dump of carbs, you get a bug dump of insulin. And insulin triggers hunger. That's why you're always hungry 45 minutes after eating a bunch of carbs.

So, no rice, no potatoes, no corn, no oats (and no bread, no pasta and no sugar). When doing "Slow carb," I eat beans and lentils (those carbs are absorbed more slowly, which means you don't get the same blood sugar spike). If you do that, you'll find you don't get hungry. Seriously.

Great book on the subject is "Good Calories, Bad Calories," by Gary Taubes.

--

Old 03-26-2021, 08:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Well, I have always been 6'3", practically since age of 13-14, so that hasn't changed. I guess I just wasn't noticing it, since my ex-GF was losing her mind how I didn't notice other women flirting with me. But, she was ~9/10 (and really short), out of my league definitely, so that always brings out competetiveness in other women (understandably).

I can't say how many times I heard a woman tell me that they have a 'thing' for tall guys and that most of their girlfriends feel the same. There was some research and stats across some dating sites recently that this was usually first or second cut-off criteria, for most [though, not all] women.

Being 6'3", you stand out automatically practically everywhere. So, you get noticed, whether you want or not. It certainly helped me in learning to flirt on a dime and now I can spin it up in a second, all it takes is just one look.

That being said, once I grew the long hair 2 yrs ago (currently it's slightly below my nipples), I noticed instant spike in female interest. I have to admit, I had no idea I had this kind of hair, as whole my life, I had just a military haircut (quarter-inch hedgehog).

Also, in my age category, a lot of men have lost their hair or are getting bald (only god knows how much time I got left, myself). I reckon that helps.

I also don't have a problem wearing bright colors now, like aquamarine, pink, white, red, bright green, orange, yellow. If you stand out, you might as well enhance it and I recently learnt to like and appreciate nice clothes
you're peacocking with the long hair and bright clothing.

i havent been single since college so its been a long time since i attempted to flirt with random girls. back in college, i always felt i did better in situations where i could go and talk to someone like a bar, gym, house party and it was harder in busy clubs. i felt some added height would have helped in those situations.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:53 AM

315 posts, read 256,423 times
OP, you sound hungry and miserable, and that's not sustainable. You need to try something different.

During plateaus I would suggest taking progress photos and measurements so you don't get frustrated. The scale should not be your only unit of measurement.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
you're peacocking with the long hair and bright clothing.
I wore mostly black for two decades to hide behind it and I don't have to anymore.
I have recently found out that I certainly enjoy other colors, so why deprive myself ?

Quote:
i havent been single since college so its been a long time since i attempted to flirt with random girls. back in college, i always felt i did better in situations where i could go and talk to someone like a bar, gym, house party and it was harder in busy clubs. i felt some added height would have helped in those situations.
I know the feeling. Have been married for two decades
But, it's just a skill. You screw up few times, of course, but just don't take rejection personally (which, it's not in the first place) and then you are fully free to express yourself - anytime, anyplace

Old 03-28-2021, 07:57 AM

596 posts, read 302,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Havent read the whole thread but if I were you I'd be happy with 35 pounds in 5 months. That's 84 lbs a year. There may be ways to lose faster but why? Isn't 84 lbs a year fast enough? That's a huge amount.
I haven't read the whole thread either but I would agree with you. Slow and steady is the way to go. What I don't understand is why someone that has become obese doesn't realize how long it took them to get that way and that it will take just as long to lose the weight. Unfortunately this is the age of instant gratification that we live in. Putting yourself in a deficit of 3,500 calories a week (1 lb of weight loss) is plenty enough. I wouldn't recommend any more than that. The whole point of maintaining weight loss is to change your eating habits for a lifetime. Not some quick fix that you're just going to go off of once you hit your goal. This process should actually be fairly comfortable and in no way feel like starvation.

I'm also perplexed by this one comment that keeps getting bandied around about how you will have to eat less as you lose weight. Well of course you will. And that's not going to feel like any form of starvation. It's not like the basil metabolic rate for someone that is 250 lbs will be the same for someone that is 150 lbs. And that lower weight person is not going to need nearly as much food. That should be more than obvious. Personally, I would be sick to my stomach trying to eat the amount of calories required by someone that was a hundred pounds heavier than I was.

My suggestion to you OP is to actually spend some money and see a dietitian instead of relying on posters on the internet, which is often filled with misinformation and bad advice. Think of it this way. If you can add a few more years to your life, how much would that be worth to you?

Old 03-28-2021, 06:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure we cannot extrapolate it like that.

I reckon everybody who has tried losing weight understands that it slows down significantly at a certain point. And if they haven't experienced themselves, they read about it.

First, the metabolism at 325 pounds is different than at 225 pounds. Exercising at 100 pounds less burns significantly less calories. <snip>

Either way, as of right now, I reached some goals and am quite happy with my progress. Even if it took almost 6 months to get here.

You didn't say in your OP or your thread title that your weight loss had slowed down. You said VERY clearly that you wanted to accelerate your weight loss that already had you losing 35 lbs in 4.5 months.

So you should be happy, and I'm happy that you're happy. But accelerating 35 lbs weight loss in 4.5 months is probably not going to make you happy, but fortunately it probably won't happen either.

And redoing the math based on the fact it was actually 4.5 months, not 5, that would compute to 93 lbs per year.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
This process should actually be fairly comfortable and in no way feel like starvation.
That should be on every dieters refrigerator, after the initial few days or weeks when changing our habits can be very difficult.

I have to say it was only hard for me for the first few days, but I was never obese either. I figured 10 lbs, but now that I've lost 10 I can still see another 10 that were hiding under the first 10.

But 4 months in I eat far less, and much healthier than before although there are still some kinks to work out (uric acid is slightly elevated). My cholesterols are good, and if I eat even 60% of what I used to eat at a meal just 4 months ago I feel like a stuffed pig. So what I'm doing seems easily maintainable.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:25 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
Quote:

I can now even enjoy an oatmeal without any milk, sugar or banana - just with a butter.

I still need to make comparison with other types of oats - like grits (and the other one, I keep forgetting the name of).
These two things here: I like butter, brown sugar, and raisins in my oatmeal. Not a milk person for oatmeal. Anyway though - depending on how much butter you use, if it's calories you're concerned with, maybe add a tablespoon more water when you're cooking the oatmeal (to thin it out a little) and add only half the amount of butter you usually use. Then, you can add a half a banana, or a palmful of raisins, or even a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar, for flavor.

Second - I'm hoping you meant "other types of grains" and not what you actually posted, because if you didn't, then you need to learn a little more about food, in general. There's only one "type" of oat. And that's an oat. An oat is an oat. Oats are one type of grain. There's rice, various grasses such as rye and wheat - and although quinoa is actually a seed, it's categorized nutritionally in the grain category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss