Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:20 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i hate starvation diets. they are unavoidable when you are looking to get ab definition but without the exact right balance you will feel low energy and end up overeating to counter that. my primary diet to get to that next level is "the oats diet." i invented it but you seem to have incorporated it because you probably learned what i have. that plain rolled oatmeal is very filling for the amount of calories you consume. a 3/4 cup serving of oatmeal is about 225 calories and is so filling many people cant consume it in one sitting and it will last.

but if you arent trying for a six pack, then there is no need to get to that level.
I eat oatmeal every morning with blueberries and raspberries and a little bit of maple syrup. I like to use frozen blueberries. I put them in the microwave and they thaw and create a nice blueberry juice.
That will hold me until lunch, if it doesn't I will eat an apple or banana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 12:37 PM

575 posts, read 339,610 times
Quote:
i hate starvation diets. they are unavoidable when you are looking to get ab definition but without the exact right balance you will feel low energy and end up overeating to counter that. my primary diet to get to that next level is "the oats diet." i invented it but you seem to have incorporated it because you probably learned what i have. that plain rolled oatmeal is very filling for the amount of calories you consume. a 3/4 cup serving of oatmeal is about 225 calories and is so filling many people cant consume it in one sitting and it will last.
Yeah, I have plenty notes in my Oatmeal Excel sheet - namely how soon I get hungry again.
I have created a separate column in my excel called hunger-free hours per 100 calories.
This makes sure that, depending on my hunger, I can opt to either have a less tasty 350 cal oatmeal (lasting longer) or sweeter 350 cal oatmeal (lasting shorter).

I can now even enjoy an oatmeal without any milk, sugar or banana - just with a butter.

Yes, I found out the same thing with plain oatmeal - can't beat it how long you stay full for amount of calories. Took a long time to get here.

I still need to make comparison with other types of oats - like grits (and the other one, I keep forgetting the name of).

Quote:
but if you arent trying for a six pack, then there is no need to get to that level.
Well, the thing is, with every week, I can see more of my six-pack. I still have some fat, of course, at 225.
But, it's getting there. Just in last 4 weeks more of the six-pack showed up then in previous 4 months (obviously).

I'm currently losing massive amounts from my thighs. It's funny how every week I look different in the shower. I also keep adjusting the belt every week.

Hell, a week ago, 4 women acknowledged -explicitly- how great I look - that also helps with motivation

Old 03-24-2021, 01:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Yeah, I have plenty notes in my Oatmeal Excel sheet - namely how soon I get hungry again.
I have created a separate column in my excel called hunger-free hours per 100 calories.
This makes sure that, depending on my hunger, I can opt to either have a less tasty 350 cal oatmeal (lasting longer) or sweeter 350 cal oatmeal (lasting shorter).

I can now even enjoy an oatmeal without any milk, sugar or banana - just with a butter.

Yes, I found out the same thing with plain oatmeal - can't beat it how long you stay full for amount of calories. Took a long time to get here.

I still need to make comparison with other types of oats - like grits (and the other one, I keep forgetting the name of).

Well, the thing is, with every week, I can see more of my six-pack. I still have some fat, of course, at 225.
But, it's getting there. Just in last 4 weeks more of the six-pack showed up then in previous 4 months (obviously).

I'm currently losing massive amounts from my thighs. It's funny how every week I look different in the shower. I also keep adjusting the belt every week.

Hell, a week ago, 4 women acknowledged -explicitly- how great I look - that also helps with motivation
i generally do oats, water and a couple splendas. its pretty brutal but effective. at least you can see results so you are getting positive reinforcement. i think ill be starting again april 8 amd i may chop a date and mix it in.

make sure to take progress pics. it will help keep track of the improvements over time. men dont really get as many positive comments as women do. we just have to be happy with what we get. getting 4 mentions in a week is like striking gold.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,152 times
Quote:
Now comes the easy part - maintaining it
No. Maintaining weight loss is the HARD part.....

--

Old 03-25-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
No. Maintaining weight loss is the HARD part.....

--
Wait, how exactly did you manage to miss such an obvious sarcasm ?

Old 03-25-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
i generally do oats, water and a couple splendas. its pretty brutal but effective. at least you can see results so you are getting positive reinforcement.
splendas ? hmm. I understand that's an artificial sweetener, right ? I am trying to avoid as much processed and artificial stuff as possible. I do use some corn/peas/green beans cans, but generally handpick them based on processing ingredients.
Now that it's spring I should be able to use fresh veggies in majority of my cooking...

Quote:
make sure to take progress pics. it will help keep track of the improvements over time.
I don't really take any selfies or anything. I'm not on instagram or facebook or some-such-bull-*hit
I do have a close friend that takes pics of me every now and then and she just showed me the difference from last October, the other week. Yeah, ~50 pounds - you can actually see the difference even on a 6'3" frame.

Quote:
men dont really get as many positive comments as women do. we just have to be happy with what we get.
Generally, I'm pretty alright with interpreting non-verbal cues (looks, tone of voice, additional layers, etc.) from females, so I don't really have to get an actual explicit statement. If you or your ass are being checked out, it's pretty unmissable

Just because she isn't explicitly saying anything, doesn't mean she isn't actually broadcasting it [on all frequencies]

Quote:
getting 4 mentions in a week is like striking gold.
I can't really complain, as even when I was 325, I was being approached by women. I just had moved from Jersey, so I was fresh meat on the market, so to speak
Apparently, quite a few women like long dark blond wavy hair on a 6'3" frame, even if I have just an average face.

At 275 that increased.

Now that I am 225, it's spring (no baggy winter layering during the day anymore) and -for the first time in 30 years- can tuck my t-shirts into pants with zero belly and a tiny arse, it's very flattering to watch their first look

The other day when I was at a hair salon, a female customer sitting next to me, very loudly [so everybody could hear it] pronounced, while looking me in the eye through a mirror- "it's not fair that some men get an amazing hair while us women have to get by with this". I thanked her by winking.

I don't know for how long I will keep my hair, for all I know, 3 months from now it could be all gone (seen it happen with too many friends). But I will enjoy it and flaunt it while I got it, that's for sure.

At 24, I didn't really stand out, visually. At 44, I sure do.

What's really surprising, though, to me at least, is that I am getting comments even from guys. The other week, during a meeting, a bald guy I never met before, publicly proclaimed that he is very jealous of my hair, in front of ~20 people, who got a good laugh. Now, what's with that ?!?

Old 03-25-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Wait, how exactly did you manage to miss such an obvious sarcasm ?
I guess I misinterpreted your emoji.... D'oh!

--

Old 03-25-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I guess I misinterpreted your emoji.... D'oh!

--
Clearly.

But, I believe that this time it will be different because I am now perfectly aware of a different metabolism and will only very slowly increase calorie intake, across several months, while closely monitoring my weight (not just once a week like I do now).

Meaning, even when I stop dieting, I will still experience hunger for 4-8 weeks. Just a gradually decreasing hunger.

I am not going back to eating bread every day, though. I will eat meat+veggies twice a day, instead of eating bread.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Meaning, even when I stop dieting, I will still experience hunger for 4-8 weeks. Just a gradually decreasing hunger.

I am not going back to eating bread every day, though. I will eat meat+veggies twice a day, instead of eating bread.
Are you strictly low carb? When I was strictly low carb I didn't experience hunger. And I lost 55 pounds. Which is the nice thing about low carb. The hard thing about low carb is that it's hard to stay low carb (especially if you like bread, like I do).

You might want to try something called the "Slow Carb" diet. A diet touted by Tim Ferris. In effect, it's low carb with beans and lentils. And one cheat day a week. On your cheat day you eat or drink anything you want. I did that and still lost 55 pounds.

--

Old 03-25-2021, 11:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
i use splenda, its an artificial sweetener. i dont really have a problem with it, i dont think its going to have a negative impact on me. but certainly, i know some people do so there are other options.

these pics are definintely not for instagram (unless you want to). its just nice to be able to look at the progress pics next to each other and see the change. i have done it in the past and its interesting to go back and see. i even made some compilations where i line up the pics next to each other with dates and weights written in.

you think its the height or the hair? both would attract attention. i always felt that height gave guys a definite advantage in certain situations even above better looking guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss