Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why not just eat said foods that contain B-12?
Because the only foods that contain *enough* vitamin B-12, to fulfill the RDA, are animal-based products. And vegetarians don't eat animal-based products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Because the only foods that contain *enough* vitamin B-12, to fulfill the RDA, are animal-based products. And vegetarians don't eat animal-based products.

What about things like 5 Hour Engery shot those puppies are full of B-12. And from what I understand MUCH cheaper then a shot.

5-hour ENERGY® Shots - Directions for Use

Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
What about things like 5 Hour Engery shot those puppies are full of B-12. And from what I understand MUCH cheaper then a shot.

You asked why people don't simply get their B12 from food. I answered because vegetarians can't get enough from their non-meat food. You now ask "what about" those 5-hour energy shots.

My answer: those drinks aren't food. They're supplements. Furthermore, vegetarians won't drink it, because it contains taurine, which comes from meat.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopeedew View Post
I recently went to a a clinic called, "A Doctor's Weight Clinic". (Really originial huh?!) My friend had gone there and this one shot they give their patients has vitamin b12 and b-complex, b6 and lipotropic. She lost 50 pounds in 4 months on this, and says it helped get her appetite under control, and she has kept it off even after she stopped getting the shots. I am overweight and am not looking for a quick fix, but for something to help me get back on track because I literally have no will power and just need something to help get me started. I went for a consultation and all I can say is, wow it is expensive. For 3 shots a week for 6 weeks it is 300 bucks. Now I am not that desperate! But I know all these women who have done this and it has helped them lose 40 pounds, I just cannot get over the price. Has anyone else tried this shot, or can you offer any advice for other medications to just get me back on track?

What you need is the determination to lose the weight, move more (exercise, walking) and eating properly. Why would you pay someone that kind of money for what is essentially a quick fix? That is just silly unless of course you have more money than you know what to do with and if that is the case the money you would be spending on the quick fix could do a lot for a local charity.

Find a good book on nutrition NOT a quick fix book or join Weight Watchers or as the dietician at your local hospital for a carb counting and meal planning pamphlet typically used for diabetics. Get out your measuring spoons, measuring cups and food scale and start eating properly and take a multi vitamin daily.

Forget the quick fix and change your lifestyle, that is the best way to lose weight, keep it off and live a more healthy way all the time.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:

Those puppies can also land you in the ER with cardiac arrhythmia.

I've have yet to have a met a doctor who feels these types of supplements are safe. Cardiologists are usually dead set against these energy drinks.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:02 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times
I used to get B12 shots once a month or so, from my GP for $15. Because I have lupus, they would boost my energy and my metabolism, and I could work, and work out, without total exhaustion. Unlike other 'dietary' aids, the B12 does not forcibly keep you awake; you can sleep when you want or need to, and sleep well. But because B12 helps your body metabolize your intake as well as your stored fat more readily, and you have more energy, you can lose weight - IF you are active. A B12 shot given to someone who still sits around and does nothing will not help.

Most over the counter "energy supplements" and drinks are extremely high in caffeine and other chemicals which cause the arrythmia. Since I am prone to "throwing PVCs" - i.e., Preventricular contractions, when I have too much caffeine, I avoid most of these. However, the "5 Hour Energy" drink has no more caffeine than a cup of coffee; it is primarily a vitamin and mineral, B12 and niacin boost. Although they taste terrible, I do take about 2-3 a week in the afternoon, usually when I have to work a 12 or 16 hour day. They get me 'over the hump' of exhaustion, keep me alert and focussed, and when I get home I can still work out without being too tired or not being able to sleep.

Nothing, not even vitamins or minerals, are a quick 'healthy' fix to obesity. But taken in conjunction with diet and increased exercise, they can be helpful by increasing your energy levels and helping to metabolize what you already have.

I surely wouldn't spend $300 bucks at a "weight loss center" for the B12 shots if I could get them from my GP for much, much less - and better, more concerned monitoring of my individual health.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Those puppies can also land you in the ER with cardiac arrhythmia.

I've have yet to have a met a doctor who feels these types of supplements are safe. Cardiologists are usually dead set against these energy drinks.

And being outside in the sun is bad for you these days too.

I'm sure a Dr would rather have you in thier office for $75.00 an hr. Look everyone is different when it comes to these things. It works for some and causes no problem and others it does.Like anything else it's not for everyone.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 AM

Those energy drinks do -not- make you lose weight. They don't work for -anyone- who is trying to use them for weight loss, because that isn't what they're for.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Those energy drinks do -not- make you lose weight. They don't work for -anyone- who is trying to use them for weight loss, because that isn't what they're for.

I haven't tried them all I've only used the 5 Hr engery drink when am working a 11 hr shift. And only if I really need it. It doesn't give me the jitters or anything it makes me feel like a had a quick nap, I've never been into those engery drinks myself.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 AM

That's great reed, but it has nothing to do with the topic, which is vitamin b12 shots for weight loss. Slightly derailed, it might be about -any- "energy boosters" for weight loss, including those energy drinks. Your post has nothing to do with either topic, but I know there is a discussion about energy drinks in the general health forum. This - is the weight loss forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss