Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times

Advertisements

GLad the tattooing worked out well for you/your dogs. If you dont mind my asking, were all 3 stolen at different times by different people - ? From your house - ?, how long were they gone - ? Just curious. What did you have written on the tatts and where were they on the dog's bodies - ? I know some ppl have their SS# on theirs. I can see why you'd prefer tattoos for yours, guess we all have our opinions, the main thing is you eventually got them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Their own AKC#---- Different times over the 15 yrs of breeding. Microchips Only work IF people are Honest! Tatoos Anyone can see even a theives best friend! 2 weeks was the longest. Down the belly a bit off from where a spay would be.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
All of mine ether have their DN# tattooed in the ear or are chipped.
Their ofa papers and x-rays & Schutzhund papers also have this # on them for id.

We have never had any problems associated with ether.
The tattoo can be altered or cut off.
The chip can be removed, discarded or installed in another dog.

We need quick and easy dna testing.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
Good to know, mine had hers done in the same area, thru the breeder but it wasnt an AKC #, it was some kind of code the brdr used so if she was found and they knew she was of her breeding, the brdr w/h/b able to tell who she was, even if she didnt know she was missing, had the connection been known. Thankfully we never had to use it (not to mention the brdr was a distance away, alth. we got her in person).

Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,610,901 times
Yikes, I never heard this - my dog actually has two Home Again chips - the shelter accidentally chipped her twice. :-/

Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Honey before Leash laws my dog ran free just like any other pet. I had people think they were strays except for their Excellent grooming & well fed look LOL My dogs would come to anyone. So ther was times I get calls within an hour of turning them loose! People SEE the AKC#.... Call akc & get my phone # and address! Once they were across a road got busy in the AM Not like todays traffic but the people were conserned & they loaded up all 5 dogs & drove them home LOL I know That wouldnt have happened with Microchips! When I sold dogs pups were tatooed with their own AKC & when the New owners Reg the dogs in their name the tatoo followed the dog & current owners. I would still tatoo If I could find some one to do it for me.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 AM

You can tattoo your dogs ear yourself.
they /we don't use a tattoo gun like you would see at the local tattoo parlor.
The one you use on the ear looks like a pair of wide pliers.

I've seen some that are done with a tattoo gun/needel but it's very hard to get the dog to stay still with out using anesthesia.

You insert your # or lettering, apply ink and clamp in down on the ear, and wala.

for some of us it's a requirement to be allowed to play in the dogy games.

In order to enter and compete in GSDCA-WDA events all German Shepherd Dogs over 12 months of age must have tattoo or microchip identification. German Shepherd Dogs that were born in the United States on or after January 1, 2005, must have their tattoo or microchip number certified on their original 4-generation AKC pedigree. Three-generation AKC pedigrees for German Shepherd Dogs born prior to January 1, 2005 will continue to be accepted for identification certification and for entry into GSDCA-WDA events. AKC pedigrees that have been tattoo or microchip certified by USCA will be accepted at all GSDCA-WDA events provided they meet the 3 or 4-generation requirement above.

The purpose of this program is to record the permanent identification of German Shepherd Dogs born in the United States that are registered with the American Kennel Club. Once the tattoo or microchip number is properly recorded with the GSDCA-WDA Office, it will be added to the original Certified American Kennel Club four-generation pedigree and then embossed with the official GSDCA-WDA seal.

All dogs must have a tattoo or microchip. Tattoos (preferably in the right ear) must be legible. Tattoos must be verified, and the GSDCA-WDA Tattoo Verification Form completed by a licensed Veterinarian. Tattoos should be at least five numbers or letters, or any combination of numbers and letters. Each dog must be assigned its own tattoo number. Do not use the dog’s name, your name, or your social security number.

ps they are going away from tattoos for identification as of 2010, a chip is the recommended method as it can hold more info.

I guess I like both. for some reason I like the tat in the ear.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM

Tatooing dogs ears is VERY Painful! Also as History has Proven Theives are not above cutting Off the ear! Who cares if a dog has no ears IF its hidden & being used in mass breeding or dog fighting... PLEASE Dont do this to your dog!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM

That "mass breeding" would be of a dog that can not have a registered litter (legally).
To stop fraud we have started to DNA all of our dogs/ chip & tatt.
a trifecta of identification

We/you do a lot of things that are painful to our dogs like spay & nutter.

Thieves do remove the chip and can do so without removing any body parts.
Thieves comet fraud by reinstalling the chip into a different dog.
or having a new chip installed in the dog that was chipped before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Tatooing dogs ears is VERY Painful! Also as History has Proven Theives are not above cutting Off the ear! Who cares if a dog has no ears IF its hidden & being used in mass breeding or dog fighting... PLEASE Dont do this to your dog!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM

They dont even need to reg litters now To Many people paying outrageous prices for Mutts As long as they are Designer Breeds....

I would still do Tatoos since adv joe can see them! But Not in the ear! I had 4 adults done once this way Later I had them tatooed on the adomen. The ears they screamed thru & were Painful to touch for weeks 2 got nippy If you came near their ears. On the adomen it done & aove in a few short mins & 99% of the dogs just layed there & relaxed. I never had a dog turn down a belly rub after!

Another thing about Microchips they can move! Katies moved to her arm pit. After limping off/on several months I asked the vet to remove the chip. He numbed the area with a local & poped it out! After she healed showed no sign of limping he did it again Free. That one has stayed put with no problems. LadyBug never had problems with hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs