Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 AM

766 posts, read 1,400,626 times

Advertisements

The mini-strokes/seizures are happening more and more. She's now 100% blind and I suspect the same with deafness.

I just got back from the vet's.... it's over.... she's gone.

Thank you for your kind words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,489,032 times
I'm so very sorry. May she rest in peace.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,475,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I'm crying as I type this..... I keep trying to tell myself, I'm jumping the gun too soon. Am I?

She's a little shih-tzu/pug. I adopted her when she was 6 yrs old (2005), from the Humane Society. She came from a horrific past, in a puppy mill. She was the breeding *****. The judge court ordered the removal of 32 dogs, and the people received over a dozen charges of animal cruelty. She was a mess when I got her.

Fast forward.... she's 1/2 blind, 1/2 deaf, arthritis, IBS, overweight, a bit of a heart cough.... but she <was> still a very happy little girl.

I say <was> because in the last month everything is changing. She's not 1/2 blind anymore. She's wayyyyyy more blind than that! She can barely see shadows anymore. She keeps walking into everything. It's currently broad daylight, and I have every light in the house on.... and she still can barely see shadows. She's still walking into large furniture. She's scared.... very scared. I can tell. Once she finds a "safe" spot, she hesitates to leave it.

The heart cough.... it's worse... much worse. Just walking across the room, just that little bit of excerise/movement... and she's coughing and hacking. This morning there is pink spots on my bed. She's got 2 modes... asleep, or awake and coughing till she hacks. Just this morning, she has creme colored phelm that keeps hanging from her mouth.

Just in the last few days, I'm realizing that it won't be much longer, and her doing the doggie door for potty, isn't going to work much longer. #1) Will she be able to find the door? #2) Will her aches and pains allow her to manuever the door? #3) I seriously doubt between her being blind and the arthritis, she won't be able to handle the steps anymore.

When I approach her and pet her and kiss her, and talk to her... there's no joy, no sparkle anymore, and that's the part that is killing me.

Have you read what you wrote? She has NO quality of life currently and you have answered your own question with your own words.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 AM

6,906 posts, read 11,298,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I'm crying as I type this..... I keep trying to tell myself, I'm jumping the gun too soon. Am I?

When I approach her and pet her and kiss her, and talk to her... there's no joy, no sparkle anymore, and that's the part that is killing me.
Prayers to you; I think this is one of the hardest things - seeing our beloved pets who have done so much for us go this way.

I will be thinking of you.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,649,643 times
So very very sorry for your loss, springazure.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 AM

25,913 posts, read 16,636,610 times
A sad beginning to her life but you gave her a happy ending. I cannot imagine someone doing better than you did.

May she RIP. Sorry for your loss.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,176,167 times
I'm so sorry for your loss, but know in your heart that you did what was best for her and she suffers no more.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 PM

8,662 posts, read 11,093,993 times
Spring, we know exactly what your are going through,and feeling.
It is never easy, but one thing you can be proud of, and pat yourself on the back for is, you opened up your heart, and your home to a dog that most would never consider adopting, and for that you should be commended.
When people adopt, they want the young vibrant ones, and too many times pass by the dogs with a few years on them.
When I adopted my second Shepherd, Elsa, she was seven years old.
The instant I laid eyes on her, I knew I would bring her home.
The shelter had told me she came from an abusive home, so that made it that much more important too me, that she get a good home to live out the rest of her days.
I made a promise to both her, and myself that she would always have the best for as long as she lived, and believe me she did.
I am sure you very devoted to your dog's welfare for as long as you had her.
Time heals all wounds, and that includes wounds of the heart.
One day, when the time is right, you will mosey on down to the shelter, and once again, you will feel that little tug at your heartstrings, and there is no way you will just turn and walk away.
We dog owners are a rare breed indeed.
We love then more than the almighty should allow, but we just can't help it.
Bob.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 PM

766 posts, read 1,400,626 times
I just wanted to say... I got her buried in my yard yesterday. I spent today landscaping her little plot. It's beautiful. I feel so much more peaceful knowing she's still with me.

You are a bunch of strangers, yet it was YOUR kind words that helped me make a most painful decision.

THANK YOU.... I can't say that enough.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,721,020 times
My heart breaks for you. You did all you could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs