Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times

Advertisements

What a nice memorial! That was a wonderful idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,893 times
Very nice job with the plot. I hope you know your little friend is smiling down on you now

Old 07-16-2012, 12:57 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Hope this works?
Looks great. A lighted memorial!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
Spring, that is beautiful.
I think the only thing I would add to that is a picture of her in a waterproof frame.
Depending on the cost, you could possibly have a picture embedded in that white rock you have on the top.
Just an idea.
When my Shepherds passed, I had them cremated, and their ashes are on my mantle.
When I die, I have instructed the trustee of my will to open those earns, and have the ashes mixed with my ashes, and scattered in a local park we all loved.
In the meantime, because the three I loved most in this world, passed in close proximity to my birthday, every year on my birthday I have a candle with flowers memorial for twenty four hours in memory of all of them.

Bob.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
I just sent Pullmyfinger a private email.... pics of her plot. This poster is kind enough to help me out. Once the pic is posted, I will explain..... oh what the heck.... I'll do it now.

The center 4 blocks are 12" squares, with a 16" square on top of it. (and the large rock) I live on the border of country, and was forewarned to worry about wildlife critters.

The 4 outer squares are 16".

She was always 1/2 blind, due to cataracts..... but in the last few weeks, she started having a series of mini-strokes, and her sight was slipping away DAILY. I could tell just how scared she was getting from the darkness, so I wanted to make sure she wouldn't be scared of the dark, anymore.... hence the solar lights.

The back is Russian Sage, the front is Dwarf Lavender. The left is Catmint, the right is Meadow Sage. 4 different shades of purple/lavendar...... because her collar was lavender and her leash was purple.

The tiny little piece of driftwood? I'm still not sure why that was sooooo important to me, but it was. Maybe it's because she was drifting away from me sooooo fast? Maybe it's because I gave her permission to drift away? I'm still not sure, and don't know if or when I can answer that question.

She's right at my front door. I see her the minute I leave, and the moment I come home. Just like old times.

Hopefully pullmyfinger will receive my private email, and post the pic soon.

AGAIN... THANK YOU EVERYBODY.
I'm so sorry for your loss; it's tough to lose a pet friend. I saw the photo of the plot; it's beautiful. You've given me some ideas for when my beloved Lab, who is 14, heads for the Rainbow Bridge. Your first post on this thread had me sobbing. Whoops! The screen is getting blurry again. I know the memories of your precious pup will live forever in your heart.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,439 times
I wasn't ready to say this before.... but I screwed up BIG TIME!.... What I failed to mention was.... I knew in my gut she was having mini stroke after mini stroke. I witnessed that same thing with my mother. I've seen it before.

I came home after a 12 hr shift.... and found her on my bed. Her back legs wouldn't work. She had more than a mini stroke. 2 hrs later.... I had her put down.

It's been 9 days since then. And now I keep looking at my other dog, and my 1 cat thinking..... holy.... I gotta go thru this 2 more times! The cat is 10 yrs old and the lab/heeler mix is 5 yrs old.

Now I look back..... WHY didn't I just put her down 2 wks earlier? WHY ON EARTH would I subject her to the fears of a dark world, that she couldn't understand, and scared her? I actually read all these websites on how happy blind/deaf dogs are, and I was going to do all these changes to the house, to keep her with me.

Now that's she gone, I'm realizing just how much time and effort I spent on her. Suddenly I have free time during the day. No more dealing with this and that. It's truly amazing how "conditioned" I became to taking care of her.

Yes, I'm going thru the GUILT stage, a stage I truly DESERVE.

Last edited by springazure; 07-19-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
Whoooaah Azure, you do NOT deserve the "guilt stage". It's probably something almost all of us go through when we lose a pet, but not because we deserve it. We go through it because it's human nature to question ourselves about decisions that are so emotionally devastating, concerning our pets who depend on us. And because these decisions are almost never cut and dried unless there's some kind of catastrophic, sudden illlness or accident. I'm sure most of us on this board have been through this and know it to be true. Your pet is failing, and you begin to realize the time is getting closer. It has a bad day, and you think, maybe it's time now. Then they seem a little better and you think, no, it's not time yet. You feel guilty at the thought of rushing their death. You feel guilty at the thought of prolonging their discomfort. The treadmill of taking care of a terminally ill pet is difficult, and sometimes when you think of putting them down, you worry that deep down you just want that burden and sadness to end. If you wait you worry you're being selfish and not wanting to lose them. We stumble through this and do the best we can, and we do it out of love. If we didn't care so much we'd just make a snap decision and be fine with it. Many of us have been through this, and we'll all be there someday. It's the hardest thing imaginable, but doing without the love of our pets is unimaginable too. Take it easy on yourself. You gave her the best life and the best ending to it you could, and I have no doubt that she knew that.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,315 times
To answer your question, antibiotics and steroids will not stop strokes as far as I know (I am a nurse) It will bring down any inflamation. I had to put my 6 yr old min dachshund down last August...It broke my heart, but he was suffering. I agree with the others here. You know its time. My thoughts are with you.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,161 times
Quote:
I wasn't ready to say this before.... but I screwed up BIG TIME!.... What I failed to mention was.... I knew in my gut she was having mini stroke after mini stroke. I witnessed that same thing with my mother. I've seen it before.

I came home after a 12 hr shift.... and found her on my bed. Her back legs wouldn't work. She had more than a mini stroke. 2 hrs later.... I had her put down.

It's been 9 days since then. And now I keep looking at my other dog, and my 1 cat thinking..... holy.... I gotta go thru this 2 more times! The cat is 10 yrs old and the lab/heeler mix is 5 yrs old.

Now I look back..... WHY didn't I just put her down 2 wks earlier? WHY ON EARTH would I subject her to the fears of a dark world, that she couldn't understand, and scared her? I actually read all these websites on how happy blind/deaf dogs are, and I was going to do all these changes to the house, to keep her with me.

Now that's she gone, I'm realizing just how much time and effort I spent on her. Suddenly I have free time during the day. No more dealing with this and that. It's truly amazing how "conditioned" I became to taking care of her.

Yes, I'm going thru the GUILT stage, a stage I truly DESERVE.

Don't be guilty....you made the right choice in the end. We love our animals like family..you made the decision don't ever second guess that...

Your memorial looks great..yes my father has a saying "when you own a pet it never ends well" but if I can have a pet and add value to their life because they add value to mine.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,169 times
when they are suffering and you know they are but still keep them around for your own good. time to say goodbye then unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs