Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 AM

766 posts, read 1,397,340 times

Advertisements

I'm crying as I type this..... I keep trying to tell myself, I'm jumping the gun too soon. Am I?

She's a little shih-tzu/pug. I adopted her when she was 6 yrs old (2005), from the Humane Society. She came from a horrific past, in a puppy mill. She was the breeding *****. The judge court ordered the removal of 32 dogs, and the people received over a dozen charges of animal cruelty. She was a mess when I got her.

Fast forward.... she's 1/2 blind, 1/2 deaf, arthritis, IBS, overweight, a bit of a heart cough.... but she <was> still a very happy little girl.

I say <was> because in the last month everything is changing. She's not 1/2 blind anymore. She's wayyyyyy more blind than that! She can barely see shadows anymore. She keeps walking into everything. It's currently broad daylight, and I have every light in the house on.... and she still can barely see shadows. She's still walking into large furniture. She's scared.... very scared. I can tell. Once she finds a "safe" spot, she hesitates to leave it.

The heart cough.... it's worse... much worse. Just walking across the room, just that little bit of excerise/movement... and she's coughing and hacking. This morning there is pink spots on my bed. She's got 2 modes... asleep, or awake and coughing till she hacks. Just this morning, she has creme colored phelm that keeps hanging from her mouth.

Just in the last few days, I'm realizing that it won't be much longer, and her doing the doggie door for potty, isn't going to work much longer. #1) Will she be able to find the door? #2) Will her aches and pains allow her to manuever the door? #3) I seriously doubt between her being blind and the arthritis, she won't be able to handle the steps anymore.

When I approach her and pet her and kiss her, and talk to her... there's no joy, no sparkle anymore, and that's the part that is killing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
I'm so sorry but you know in your heart it is time. She knows and she is depending on your love and devotion to make her passing as swift and painless as possible. We have this ability to do it for our pets. Hold her in your arms while the vet gives her the shot. You will not regret this final act of devotion. Too many people come on this forum saying they regret waiting too long. Don't let this happen to you.

I'm so sorry. i really am, truly I am.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 AM

48,223 posts, read 22,041,009 times
I am so deeply sorry......it is very hard to say good-bye. Only the two of you know when it is time. But in my judgement...you have done everything you could do to give this darling girl a real life with purpose and quality. God Bless you for taking in this older girl and loving her and caring for her. She is now in tht place where there is really only one more t hing you can do to fulfill your promise and her expectation.....to protect her and keep her from suffering.

She has no real joy because her infirmaties make you more and more distant and unreachable. That must be so sad for her.....to feel you are slipping away from her. I also think dogs often believe their sickness is a failure ... and that makes it even harder....not wanting to dissapppoint.

If your little girl were mine....I would make an appointment with the vet....and go with her and release her to the rainbow bridge....with a promise.....I am coming.....I will always love you.....I will look for you. You have been so good and are so special. It is ok.....I will be ok...now go ahead. My friend.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,452,700 times
I can't add much to what the others said. I know how heartbreaking this is. When the joy and sparkle are gone, and she's afraid, she's ready to go. It's the hardest thing we ever have to do for our pets, but it's our last gift to them, to release them from a life that has become a burden. My thoughts are with you.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,392,200 times
Now, I am crying to....

Go call your vet.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM

117 posts, read 208,015 times
The only thing I can add to this otherwise excellent advice is that some Vets will make a house call. That may or may not be true with your Vet, and may or may not be what would be best in your case, but just so you know that it might be an option.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,854,413 times
I'm very sorry. It is never easy to see your pet die. I've had some die of old age and sickness and a few others were killed by cars. Whether they die fast or slow it's hard to watch.

I agree putting her out of her suffering might be best. She is dying, but I think it's okay to hasten the process in this case.

My prayers go out to you.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM

8,587 posts, read 11,018,090 times
When the time came to put two of my shepherds down,(4 years apart) I asked the vet to come to the house.
I wanted them to be comfortable in their own surroundings, instead of a vet hospital.
They laid their head on my lap, and drifted off to that one special place they go when they leave us.
They left, knowing they were very much loved, and when my current Shepherd's time comes, he will also be put down in surroundings he is comfortable with.
It is never easy, and there isn't anything except time that will ease the pain and emptiness you feel when they are suddenly gone.
Bob.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 PM

766 posts, read 1,397,340 times
Thank you everybody...... I did take her to the Vet AFTER I typed this. I'm gonna spare the whole conversation, but it ain't looking the best. Unless of course I can afford a small fortune on her.

Anyhow.... I work a very bizarre schedule compared to the rest of the country. I'm a 40 hr WEEKEND WORKER.... and my <monday> starts tomorrow. I work Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon.... and have the rest of the week off.

Soooo...... they gave her a shot of penicillan and 1 wk of penicillan and they gave her a shot of steriods and a 1wk of steriods. Just maybe.... <just maybe> she will respond to something sooooo simple??????

I mean... she does have a bacteria infection happening.... but will this stop the mini strokes and seizures? Will this somehow give us just a tad bit little more time???????

I DON'T KNOW.... My gut tells me that next week I will have to make the decision, and it's killing me. I just had to give it one last try..... TRY TO DO SOMETHING!!!!

Here's the deal.... I took care of my elderly Mother till the very end. I KNOW WHAT MINI STROKES/SEIZURES ARE LIKE. The Vet is starting to agree with me. I suspect mini strokes/seizures are starting to happen at an alarming rate. Maybe the anitbiotics and steriods will help?????????

I just NEED TO KNOW I TRIED SOMETHING BEFORE I MAKE THE DECISION.

Monday morning is my Friday night.... then I'm off for the rest of the week. THAT WILL BE MY DECIDING FACTOR!!!!!! I got a really really bad feeling that Tuesday morning I will make the decision. At least then I will have several days off from work, before I have to return to work.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,990,054 times
Thoughts and prayers to you and your furbaby.

It is very difficult watching them grow old and decline to the point they begin suffering. Since you are asking the question you know the time is near or that it is time. The question I asked the vet with my rescue Springer which developed lymphoma was when the treatment failed was "is this as good as it gets"? When he confirmed it would be all downhill and my lad had suffered terrible pain the night before, I knew it was time. To make him endure any more would have been pure selfishness on my part. We owe them a responsibility to do the right thing when the time comes.

Your rescued furbaby had a better life in the 7 years with you than she had ever known. That is more than anyone else ever did for her. Know you've done your best and remember her with all the tail wags she's given you since you rescued her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs