Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:24 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,772,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabetty View Post
I have a 11month old pitbull female called Bella. She is the most happy and caring dog. Really energetic.

Today she was jumping up at my window ledge and Bella has a sore leg ATM through elbow dysplasia so I had told her OFF I was down at her level but not in her face and she snapped at my head she never bit me but her teeth touched my head and she pulled away I was so shocked I shouted no and she has went and layed down. She has never done nothing like this or never has shown any signs of aggression towards me or my partner.
It absolutely could have been because of the pain. What medication is she on for her pain? Are you giving her glucosamine to help with the elbow dysplaysia? If she;'s showing that much pain at 11 months old, I'm very much afraid you will have a lot of trouble in the future with her elbow. My female GSD has elbow dysplasia and she only at 7 started showing signs of pain.

If she's otherwise behaving normally, I wouldn't worry too much about this one incident. I would be sure that her pain meds are adequate to keep her comfortable.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 09:29 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,007,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You have a lifetime invested in a position and will defend it to the end. You're like the aeronautical engineer who can prove bubblebees can't fly or the western physician discounting acupuncture. . . .
That is not logic, it is an ad hominem attack. And frankly, just having read the past couple of pages in this thread, it seems to me that you are the pot calling the kettle black. You obviously do care about defending your position, in spite of your protestations otherwise.

Good luck with all that.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:55 PM

919 posts, read 611,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post

I've also had dogs who just weren't really right in the head. One I can think of was just dumb, for a dog. Another just seemed to have behavior "spells", where he just didn't act quite right. I have to think there was some physical cause.

Anyway, it sounds to me like you made the right decision, even though it was hard.
Yep, some dogs are just not right in the head.
A mate was tricked into taking a 12mo small to medium bitza.
When I visited my mate, his 4yo & 2 1/2yo boys were standing at the glass sliding door, too terrified to play outside because this mongrel continually harassed & nipped them, not out of aggression but as if it was a game.

Even when I took the 4yo outside, the dog completely ignored me & was trying to get at the boy.
After 30 mins with this dog I was convinced that it was unsound & advised my mate to give it back to his 'friends'.

I suspect that it was one of those situations where the original owners knew if they turned it in to a rescue, that it'd be deemed unsuitable for rehousing & put down, so they palmed it off on unsuspecting friends.

And I agree. It's a sad fact of life that some dogs are better off being sent to doggy heaven. There's so many sound dogs that desperately need a home.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:24 PM

919 posts, read 611,022 times
Those who are saying that dogs often bite when in pain are absolutely correct.

For those who've mentioned that their dogs have arthritis & joint or ligament pain ........ my then 12yo Rotti was starting to have obvious back leg pain (suspected arthritis) until he helped himself to a dozen stale cannabis cookies that I'd put in the bin.

That's a huge dose for anyone & I was horrified when I realised. But he slept soundly for over 30 hours with a grin on his face & suffered no ill effect. Within days he was moving more freely & didn't have further problems until he passed 2 years later (I'd continued to give him a very small dose of canna oil regularly from then on)

My boy was very confident & I suspect that's why he didn't have a bad experience on such a huge dose. An anxious nervy dog wouldn't have done so well.
Regardless, start off with tiny amounts of oil (mixed with coconut oil) to be safe.
CBD counteracts the psycho-active effects of THC so an oil high in CBD, low in THC, like they give to kids with epilepsy for e.g., is best (all cannabinoids work synergistically, so a full plant extract is required)

Old 10-26-2017, 04:00 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
There's one problem with that "theory" - dogs aren't pack animals. They are social, but they haven't had "pack strategy" for millions of years. Time to study up on the last 20 years of developments in the study of dog evolution.
That's weird. When dogs get loose (events like Katrina) they form into packs. We have that same problem here, a bunch of previously owned dogs turned feral and attacked someone as a pack.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs