Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 05:38 PM

159 posts, read 169,316 times

Advertisements

Dogs know we are not dogs. Alpha rolling your dog is a good way to get bit and its also a good way damage your relationship with your dog. That is just fact. You will be doing your dog and yourself a huge favor if you educate yourself on the alpha roll and how dangerous it is. I never said anything about reasoning with your dog, I said use your human brain instead of fighting with dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
Dogs know we are not dogs. Alpha rolling your dog is a good way to get bit and its also a good way damage your relationship with your dog. That is just fact. You will be doing your dog and yourself a huge favor if you educate yourself on the alpha roll and how dangerous it is. I never said anything about reasoning with your dog, I said use your human brain instead of fighting with dogs.

I wasn't crazy about doing it. I only had to do it twice to one dog. He was just a really aggressive alpha type. Nothing worked. None of the usual training routines worked. He challenged me a few times. And before you start I've been training dogs for different types of hunting for years and years. This was a last resort deal. I don't take rolling lightly. But it does work.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:24 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,124,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You are just wrong. If you want to communicate with a dog, use dog communication rather than reason with the dog. Dogs don't understand "reason".
I refer you to your snarky post to me. Read her post. - see below.

Quote:

It involves thinking and knowing there is more than one type of communication.

Dog communication does not involve violence until other avenues of solving the issue have been tried.
Rolling a dog is a form of aggression. It is violence and it's overpowering the dog, thereby making the dog feel vulnerable and weak. I treat my pets, dogs/cats/bunnies/whatever as I treat my children - with respect yet firmness and I build up their confidence, not tear it down. And that's how I show others to train their pets. I never want one of my animals to fear me.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I wasn't crazy about doing it. I only had to do it twice to one dog. He was just a really aggressive alpha type. Nothing worked. None of the usual training routines worked. He challenged me a few times. And before you start I've been training dogs for different types of hunting for years and years. This was a last resort deal. I don't take rolling lightly. But it does work.
Can you explain how your dog was challenging you? I think if you had a really aggressive Alpha type dog, you would have been bitten if you rolled him. Why do you think your dog worked? what other training methods did you use?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
Quote:
Can you explain how your dog was challenging you? I think if you had a really aggressive Alpha type dog, you would have been bitten if you rolled him. Why do you think your dog worked? what other training methods did you use?
You have obviously never successfully performed this technique. Perhap rather than telling people who have that they will be bitten, you might listen to how various dogs respond.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:

Getting on couches where I sat, growling and challenge stance when I told him off the couch. Trying to herd me when I walked by certain areas. Snapped at my wife, snapped at me. Just aggressive and territorial. Things like that. Young dog too.

The reason it wirked was because he challenged me and I showed him I was the boss. Granted it was the ultimate I'M YOUR MASTER show of force. Dogs understand things like that.

No I wouldn't have been bitten, stop saying that. I knew exactly what I was doing. You're completely clueless in this instance of my experience with that dog. Weather he was going alpha on me or not I'm not going to relinquish alpha position to a dog. Not every dog is gonna bite you when you roll them. Some will go completely still and acquiesce. Some may struggle some won't. Either way like I said I rarely had to do it it was a last resort tactic.

The training in the beginning is basic training. Sit stay stop leave it, lie down, obviously the potty stuff. Badic obedience then evolved to sit stay walk to a different room come back see if dog has moved. Put food on ground make them wait for signal. Etc. I've used everything from clicker/treats for the basics and later just hunting techniques like bird search patterns hand motions to get dienes bird etc. Obviously lots of treat/reward training. Granted I no longer do hunting training but I still do basic and some extended obedience training for my dogs

Old 02-24-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Getting on couches where I sat, growling and challenge stance when I told him off the couch. Trying to herd me when I walked by certain areas. Snapped at my wife, snapped at me. Just aggressive and territorial. Things like that. Young dog too.

The reason it wirked was because he challenged me and I showed him I was the boss. Granted it was the ultimate I'M YOUR MASTER show of force. Dogs understand things like that.

No I wouldn't have been bitten, stop saying that. I knew exactly what I was doing. You're completely clueless in this instance of my experience with that dog. Weather he was going alpha on me or not I'm not going to relinquish alpha position to a dog. Not every dog is gonna bite you when you roll them. Some will go completely still and acquiesce. Some may struggle some won't. Either way like I said I rarely had to do it it was a last resort tactic.

The training in the beginning is basic training. Sit stay stop leave it, lie down, obviously the potty stuff. Badic obedience then evolved to sit stay walk to a different room come back see if dog has moved. Put food on ground make them wait for signal. Etc. I've used everything from clicker/treats for the basics and later just hunting techniques like bird search patterns hand motions to get dienes bird etc. Obviously lots of treat/reward training. Granted I no longer do hunting training but I still do basic and some extended obedience training for my dogs
If you re read my post I said if you really had a so called alpha dominant dog he would have bit you.
Some dogs will fight back (I don't know why anyone would want to fight with their dog) and some dogs will give up(please don't kill me) Your dog no longer trusts you.

I did see your post on this thread that you rarely hit , but if you do you use a newspaper. Could be the reason your dog snapped at you.

Dogs do not alpha roll another dog. The alpha roll was based on watching captive wolves from different packs. It's long been debunked and shown just how harmful it is.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
There's a myth being perpetrated here that pinning or "alpha rolling" a dog is an act of violence. That's silly nonsense. and when done properly the dog exits calm, submissive and craving attention. Way too much anthropomorphising going on here. Dogs are not people. This is no more violent that giving a two year old child a time out. And it has about the same impact on your relationship with the dog as a timeout has with a two year old child.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:52 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,814,648 times
Quote:
If you re read my post I said if you really had a so called alpha dominant dog he would have bit you.
Some dogs will fight back (I don't know why anyone would want to fight with their dog) and some dogs will give up(please don't kill me) Your dog no longer trusts you.

I did see your post on this thread that you rarely hit , but if you do you use a newspaper. Could be the reason your dog snapped at you.

Dogs do not alpha roll another dog. The alpha roll was based on watching captive wolves from different packs. It's long been debunked and shown just how harmful it is.
I feel the same way. It may not be violent but it's bordering on violence. You shouldn't be doing anything physical as punishment. They are people too...I know mine are at least. They have feelings just as we do. My Pom has never bit me but I'm pretty sure he would if I did that crap. He doesn't even like us pulling hair off him sometimes. If you want to show a dog who's boss there are other ways of doing it. Put your foot down but always do it in a way where the dog knows he/she is safe. I think what happens is people are quick to give up so they resort to quick fixes like this but in the end that may only make things worse.

Last edited by Nickchick; 02-24-2015 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There's a myth being perpetrated here that pinning or "alpha rolling" a dog is an act of violence. That's silly nonsense. and when done properly the dog exits calm, submissive and craving attention. Way too much anthropomorphising going on here. Dogs are not people. This is no more violent that giving a two year old child a time out. And it has about the same impact on your relationship with the dog as a timeout has with a two year old child.
Do you have any studies to back this up?

If you do a some research on the alpha roll you will find that the experts disagree with you.
Even the Monks of New Skete that made the alpha roll popular in their book, deleted the alpha roll from the book, saying they were sorry they ever advised it and just how dangerous it can be.

If you want to alpha roll your dog, that is up to you. But it is never recommended and quite dangerous to advice others to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs