Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:08 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinNation11 View Post
Atinna33
This isnt a story, I just want other opinions about the topic because when i was younger, I would go visit my uncle who owned pitbulls. One of his dogs bit him and drew blood so he "put him down" and in his words, " if a dog bites its owner then that dog is no longer any good"

I had a different opinion and thats obviously the reason why I came here to listen to other people's thoughts
I agree with your uncle and would do the same thing he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinNation11 View Post
Just want a quick opinion on what you guys would do in a sitiuation where the dog you've raised since a puppy, has started to snap at you. .......
I don't allow it, so it is a non-issue. I'm the pack boss and I make the rules and nobody questions that.

For a good natured, well trained dog, the first thing to do is to check out medical issues.

Usually, though, when pet dogs snap, it is in a family where there is no clear leadership. Dogs don't like to live with no clear leadership. It makes them feel insecure and if a dog tries to fill the vacuum and the dog is not a natural alpha (most dogs aren't), then the dog will make serious mistakes like snapping to assert the dog's perceived rights.

Pets who snap for no perceivable reason should be put onto the "no free lunch" program until they can accept that the human is the boss and that the human will set the rules and decide what behavior is acceptable. This is usually easy for the dog to adjust to, but a lot of people have serious problems learning to stop treating the dog like a pampered princess.

(Yes, I know. My Genuine Little Princess is terribly spoiled, but even she knows where the boundaries are and even she knows she must obey me when I give an order)

Adopted adult dogs can have issues that need to be worked out, and they might snap because they don't know that it isn't OK. Again, the no free lunch program and firm rules fairly and consistently enforced should bring the dog into line (unless the dog is a nut case, and insane dogs do exist)

I've put two dogs down for biting. One with a form of epilepsy where he bit hard with no idea of where he was or what he was doing; the other with a brain tumor who had fits where she bit hard. An uninhibited bite from a dog is no joking matter and steps that you don't want to take have to be taken.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:57 AM

I'm going to add this: if a dog is snapping at a child, I suggest that you make absolutely sure that the child is not tormenting the dog. Bad puppies get a tooth knock to discipline bad behavior and most dogs see young children in the same light as a puppy. They don't see a tooth knock as a bite, but as a justifiable correction.

I've seen parents beaming with pride which watching absolutely appalling abuse committed by their children on a dog who is not allowed to defend himself.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You should alpha roll the dog. ..........
I've spent a lot of time around a wolf. I can tell you for a fact that the alpha wolf does not roll the subordinate wolf. The lower status wolf rolls himself as a sign that he yields.

Doing an alpha roll is dangerous for an amateur owner to do on a dominant dog. If the dog truly believes he is the boss, he might retaliate and punish the person that he sees as his inferior for the intolerable rudeness of knocking him down.

If the owner genuinely can not read his dog and really doesn't know why the dog does what it does, then the owner isn't going to have a clue about who is dominant or how dominant they are.

Better to establish dominance over the dog before laying hands on the dog in violence. You establish dominance by obedience training, controlling food, and controlling access to desirable locations like the bed and sofa.

I could lay hands on my dogs. I don't have to and I never do, but I could and my dogs would be terrified and there would be no retaliation from my dogs. But just because I could do that to my well behaved dogs does not mean that another human who doesn't understand their dog and who has no control over their dog should be doing it.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:21 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,675,347 times
That's a tough question because it depends on the circumstances surrounding the incident. Did the dog snap because of food, playing, jealousy or some other reason? I know that, unfortunately, some owners unknowingly allow their dogs to become possessive about things when they are puppies because it may look cute but of course they grow up and what was once cute is now annoying or even dangerous.

I have a 19 week old airedale terrier and I am always taking his food from him or even his toys from him and then shortly later I give it back to him just so he knows that it is ok for me to do that. I even take stuff out of his mouth just so he knows its fine. I've had no problems and he is fine with letting me do those things.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,000,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've spent a lot of time around a wolf. I can tell you for a fact that the alpha wolf does not roll the subordinate wolf. The lower status wolf rolls himself as a sign that he yields.

Doing an alpha roll is dangerous for an amateur owner to do on a dominant dog. If the dog truly believes he is the boss, he might retaliate and punish the person that he sees as his inferior for the intolerable rudeness of knocking him down.

If the owner genuinely can not read his dog and really doesn't know why the dog does what it does, then the owner isn't going to have a clue about who is dominant or how dominant they are.

Better to establish dominance over the dog before laying hands on the dog in violence. You establish dominance by obedience training, controlling food, and controlling access to desirable locations like the bed and sofa.

I could lay hands on my dogs. I don't have to and I never do, but I could and my dogs would be terrified and there would be no retaliation from my dogs. But just because I could do that to my well behaved dogs does not mean that another human who doesn't understand their dog and who has no control over their dog should be doing it.
It is clear that you have no experience with the technique or with establishing a leadership position.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:51 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,949,229 times
ok I am back and want to finish the story of this dog .. her growly stuff happens when she is ASKING for pets she comes and nudges me to be petted and i do, sometimes its just as simple as giving her a ear scratch while I am on the pc or such .. she is good for a few minutes and then suddenly she starts to get growly .. not sure why she does this she asked for the pets she comes to me to get them and still its like she is overwhelmed by them.. and she will growl and lift her lip .. she will be watching me out of the corner of her eye and as soon as I sttop the pet she runs to her kennel and growls and snarls all the way like she is cussing me out .. Its ALMOST funny but the behaviour is a concern.. I dont know where her growl to bite line is so I do what seems to work and stop .. She is very fearful I believe she has been abused by some one .. She is very well behaved tho and perfectly house broken so some one has trained her well but ........

it doesnt matter where I pet her she always asks for it and then gets tense. it makes no sense ..

Old 02-07-2015, 08:42 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,435,704 times
Your next move is a session with a behaviorist. Someone knowledgeable needs to see the dog's behavior first hand to evaluate her and work out a plan. You'll probably never know what caused her to begin acting that way, but hopefully it can be worked out. Good luck to you.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:14 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,000,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
ok I am back and want to finish the story of this dog .. her growly stuff happens when she is ASKING for pets she comes and nudges me to be petted and i do, sometimes its just as simple as giving her a ear scratch while I am on the pc or such .. she is good for a few minutes and then suddenly she starts to get growly .. not sure why she does this she asked for the pets she comes to me to get them and still its like she is overwhelmed by them.. and she will growl and lift her lip .. she will be watching me out of the corner of her eye and as soon as I sttop the pet she runs to her kennel and growls and snarls all the way like she is cussing me out .. Its ALMOST funny but the behaviour is a concern.. I dont know where her growl to bite line is so I do what seems to work and stop .. She is very fearful I believe she has been abused by some one .. She is very well behaved tho and perfectly house broken so some one has trained her well but ........

it doesnt matter where I pet her she always asks for it and then gets tense. it makes no sense ..
I would suggest paying attention to the dog, but not on demand. If she comes and acts aggressive to get attention, send her to her bed. When she is calm and relaxed call her to you and give her lots of affection. If while paying attention she starts to become aggressive, send her away. You need to decouple the aggressive behavior from getting attention.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,949,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I would suggest paying attention to the dog, but not on demand. If she comes and acts aggressive to get attention, send her to her bed. When she is calm and relaxed call her to you and give her lots of affection. If while paying attention she starts to become aggressive, send her away. You need to decouple the aggressive behavior from getting attention.

thats what I have been doing soon as she growls I say say Kennel in a sharp tone and she does but she is growling and acting ugly the whole way to it she will go in and lay down she takes a nap and then comes out polite and sweet .. I am trying to figure out the why and her "line" she loves the pets and the attation but she does this and I stop instantly ..
some one in rl suggested I muzzle her and force her to endure the pets and not let her get away with it but I dunno .. if thats a good idea ..
she is extremely well trained .. and thats what makes this so hard to figure out .. right now she just came out of the kennel and layed down at my feet calm and polite she didnt ask for pets she just layed down and put her head down .. she is one very strange dog ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs