Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:35 PM

159 posts, read 169,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I feel the same way. It may not be violent but it's bordering on violence. You shouldn't be doing anything physical as punishment. They are people too...I know mine are at least. They have feelings just as we do. My Pom has never bit me but I'm pretty sure he would if I did that crap. He doesn't even like us pulling hair off him sometimes. If you want to show a dog who's boss there are other ways of doing it. Put your foot down but always do it in a way where the dog knows he/she is safe. I think what happens is people are quick to give up so they resort to quick fixes like this but in the end that may only make things worse.
Exactly. Aggression begets aggression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,490 times
Exclamation Pitbull snapped at owner

I need some help and I think this is the best forum to post on. I have a 4 year old Pitbull and I unfortunately I was one who thought they were bad dogs. I wanted a teacup Yorky and one day my fiancé asked if I wanted to go get my dog. I was soooo excited! When we showed up all I saw was a bunch of baby pit bulls and he told me to pick my dog if I wanted one so I did. I fell head over heals in love and he quickly became my baby and is deff a mamas boy. He follows me EVERYWHERE including the bathroom when I shower. I made sure when raising him I was able to touch his ears, butt, paws. Basically any part of his body because my biggest fear was him biting someone. He has never been an aggressive dog. Anyone can take his toy away or his food while he was eating or pet and kiss him it never mattered who it was because has always loved people. One day I got a call from my gram and she said that my dog Banks bit her face and she was at the hospital. She said she was moving the blanket he was sitting on and he snapped and got her face. When I saw her there was only a little scratch like he accidentally caught her with his nail or something. We brushed it off. Then I saw it in person when I was sitting on my bed and my fiancé, who has helped raise Banks and is as close to him as I am, leaned down to kiss me and Banks snapped and lunged at his face. I was shocked. This happened again when my mother in law came to look at a book I was reading and when she leaned down he snapped and lunged at her face. Luckily every time the person gets out of the way. We all figured since Banks is so attached to me that he is being protective of me and that's why he is doing it. Then about 2 weeks ago Banks kept shaking his head like something was in his ear so I went to check like I normally would and he snapped and lunged at MY FACE! I couldn't believe it and the same thing happened yesterday when we came back from a walk and I was checking him for ticks. I was looking at his neck when it happened. I yelled at him and wouldn't give him eye contact or anything. He knew I was upset. He tried to kiss me but I kept turning my head so he went and laid down. I'm not sure what to do but he is my EVERYTHING. I'm so scared I'm going to loose him. This snapping was out of the blue. There are no warning signs. It just happens. One minute he's fine the next he's lunging at your face. Other than that he has been completely normal. He cuddles and obeys every word I say but something isn't right. My fiancé says we should put him down because someone is going to get hurt its just a matter of time and that a dog should never ever snap at his owners. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Stormyxoxo; 10-22-2015 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
So HOW have You Corrected Him?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:04 PM

Default Corrections...

I have been trying to find ways of correcting him. I have researched that some dominate aggressive dogs snap for no reason so I have been trying to assert my dominance over him like making him sit before going through doors and in and out of the car along with not letting him eat until I say it's ok. I haven't been giving him praise unless I make him do something first then I can love him. I don't know how to correct him snapping at others and the reason behind it so I'm kinda going in blind. Do you have any tips?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:05 PM

Default Corrections 2...

Also where he snapped at my gram and my mother in law was on the couch so he is no longer allowed on the couch. It is off limits.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
@stormyxoxo. Take him to the vet tomorrow. There may be something physically wrong with him that's causing him to act this way. You need to rule that out before you do anything else. He may be hurting and that's causing the behavior change

Old 10-22-2015, 07:17 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Well When he Snapped at YOU he had a reason! Called PAIN! Why do you think Vets muzzle dogs? Why do you think for DECADES people say to Muzzle your dog when it hurt Before you handle them? Cause dogs Snap when in Pain just like humans do Only they Snap with Teeth! Did you ever get him to vet to check out Why he was shaking his head?
Another thing Why was people in his FACE Dogs don't like people in their face. Puppies will tolerate face holding & face kissing But most adult dogs Snap when people or other get in their face. WAS this also at the time he was shaking his head?
This dog NEEDS to go to the vet it can be anything from a ear infection to a brain tumor. BUT he & You need to make sure this is Not a medical problem.
When my male rottie decided he didn't care for people being in his face I Boxed him on the nose when he lunged grab his face & Firmly said NO! BUT I nor anyone else got in his face again. You Have to stop what your doing too Not fair for you to keep provoking him. I wouldn't Trust him with Kids or elderly any more. 1 bad snap they could be DEAD. We just had a 4 year old killed by a boxer mix...dog snapped crushed the kids skull.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
First and foremost, make an appointment with a veterinary behaviorist or qualified certified trainer who will be able to observe him, advise on what they think is going on, and write up a management plan as needed for your dog. Your dog's life is at stake.

CCPDT (Certification Council for Pet Dog Trainers):
Certified Dog Trainer Directory - CCPDT

AVSAB (American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior):
Find a Consultant | AVSAB

In addition, I would do the following:

1) get your dog a full vet check and blood panel done ASAP; there could be a physical reason for his behavior change.

2) start working the Nothing in Life is Free protocol; Grisha Stewart calls it "Say Please"- same thing just a different name
https://grishastewart.com/say-please/

3) Crate him (or put in another room) when other people are around. For the time being, until you get this sorted out, don't let him interact with other people.

Your dog is giving warnings, you just aren't understanding what he is telling you.
Do you allow him his own down time and space such that he isn't expected to always be "on" for you? In other words, if he goes and lies down on his bed do you leave him alone?
He needs and deserves certain consideration, as in don't pull a blanket out from under him that he is sleeping on and for heaven's sake, stop putting your face down by his- that can be very intimidating for any dog.
Has anyone else been caring for him? Does he go to doggie daycare? Is it possible someone is mistreating him?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:58 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Just a couple of other thoughts:
You said the snap comes without warning, but the snap IS the warning; as well, there clearly are other signs leading up to the snap, you just aren't seeing them. Look at the context of what is going on. I get the sense that the snap is the dog telling you "knock it off, I have told you a hundred time I don't like it when you do that". If you don't listen now, then your pup may escalate further.

What is your home environment like? Is it calm and quiet or hectic and rushed? If it is hectic and lots going on, your dog may be telling you that he isn't comfortable with everything going on, that he needs his own quiet space. Does he have a crate he can go to in a quiet room or alternately does he have a comfy bed in a quiet room where he can just get down time?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyxoxo View Post
I need some help and I think this is the best forum to post on. I have a 4 year old Pitbull and I unfortunately I was one who thought they were bad dogs. I wanted a teacup Yorky and one day my fiancé asked if I wanted to go get my dog. I was soooo excited! When we showed up all I saw was a bunch of baby pit bulls and he told me to pick my dog if I wanted one so I did. I fell head over heals in love and he quickly became my baby and is deff a mamas boy. He follows me EVERYWHERE including the bathroom when I shower. I made sure when raising him I was able to touch his ears, butt, paws. Basically any part of his body because my biggest fear was him biting someone. He has never been an aggressive dog. Anyone can take his toy away or his food while he was eating or pet and kiss him it never mattered who it was because has always loved people. One day I got a call from my gram and she said that my dog Banks bit her face and she was at the hospital. She said she was moving the blanket he was sitting on and he snapped and got her face. When I saw her there was only a little scratch like he accidentally caught her with his nail or something. We brushed it off. Then I saw it in person when I was sitting on my bed and my fiancé, who has helped raise Banks and is as close to him as I am, leaned down to kiss me and Banks snapped and lunged at his face. I was shocked. This happened again when my mother in law came to look at a book I was reading and when she leaned down he snapped and lunged at her face. Luckily every time the person gets out of the way. We all figured since Banks is so attached to me that he is being protective of me and that's why he is doing it. Then about 2 weeks ago Banks kept shaking his head like something was in his ear so I went to check like I normally would and he snapped and lunged at MY FACE! I couldn't believe it and the same thing happened yesterday when we came back from a walk and I was checking him for ticks. I was looking at his neck when it happened. I yelled at him and wouldn't give him eye contact or anything. He knew I was upset. He tried to kiss me but I kept turning my head so he went and laid down. I'm not sure what to do but he is my EVERYTHING. I'm so scared I'm going to loose him. This snapping was out of the blue. There are no warning signs. It just happens. One minute he's fine the next he's lunging at your face. Other than that he has been completely normal. He cuddles and obeys every word I say but something isn't right. My fiancé says we should put him down because someone is going to get hurt its just a matter of time and that a dog should never ever snap at his owners. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!
Take your dog to the vet! Dogs in pain often snap. Rule out a possible physical cause before taking other measures since those measures won't help if there is a physical cause and it is not addressed.

For example, do you live in an area with foxtails? He could have an embedded foxtail. They can travel internally and cause lots of problems. I am not diagnosing. That's just one example of many...tooth abscess, ear infection, etc. You did say he was shaking his head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs