Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:32 PM

718 posts, read 2,080,837 times

Advertisements

Is this important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 01:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
to him it is

Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM

809 posts, read 2,189,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Is this important?
Is this a trick question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
to him it is
Yup. And, it's a fun thread too.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM

48,178 posts, read 22,026,263 times
Default What's In A Name? Wm Shakespeare

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Is this important?
Not everything we do or say has to be "important"......it is an entertaining thread.....and in the end it is very important because it is about the bonding process between a family and a dog that is going to have a second chance and a forever home.....that is very important to many of us. I have called in my partner to admire the dog and we have tried to think of good names. The naming of a new family member whether it be a child or a pet....is important in my book.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:08 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,282,446 times
Perfect, Elston. Thank you. In the scheme of world peace, no - this probably wouldn't be ranked as important. In the scheme of peace in this dog's life, yes - absolutely, and the dog lovers of City-Data are proud to participate in something so meaningful and so permanent.

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog".

Old 09-30-2012, 02:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
I think she is beautiful some one thought her tail looked cropped but my late Jazz had a short tail and the vet looked at it when she was a puppy and said it had not been cropped she just got the short tail gene. It actually gave her a lot of character as she would stick it straight up in the air. Your dog looks like maybe her tail was broken and healed wrong.

If you are having trouble getting her to come when you call when she is outside get something like a regular whistle then blow it and when she looks at you give her a very yummy treat. Do it over and over until you think she knows that the whistle means a yummy treat. When you think she knows it then let her wander away and blow the whistle and when she so much as looks at you tell her good girl and let her see you have a treat and she gets it when she comes. You coud do it without the whistle too but for dogs that are distrated and blow you off when they are out sniffing around the whistle gets their attention and the association of whistle yummy snack gets them to you. Do not ever chase her if she runs from you instead turn and run from her as dogs will run if you chase them but they also love to chase you so turn the game of chase in your favor. One of my dogs is a sight hound and if he is off running it is difficult to get him to listen as he is 100% focused on the run but a whistle breaks through that. If he is just wandering around he responds to come but full run it takes a whistle.oNce they get good at coming you can start phasing out the treats but every now and then do give a treat for coming as it keeps them guessing and keeps them coming in hope that this is the one time there will be a treat.

You have some great name suggestions and to be honest my dogs do have several names they respond too they have their real names but also a few pet names like Chaos responds to "little monkey" " "aos" and even "K" and Dazzle responds to "Hound dog" and "D" but both know when I use their full name I do mean business. As kid one of the dogs was named Pepper but he went by Duck or even Duckless so your kids will probably have their own pet names for the dog too.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM

603 posts, read 967,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I think she is beautiful some one thought her tail looked cropped but my late Jazz had a short tail and the vet looked at it when she was a puppy and said it had not been cropped she just got the short tail gene. It actually gave her a lot of character as she would stick it straight up in the air. Your dog looks like maybe her tail was broken and healed wrong.

If you are having trouble getting her to come when you call when she is outside get something like a regular whistle then blow it and when she looks at you give her a very yummy treat. Do it over and over until you think she knows that the whistle means a yummy treat. When you think she knows it then let her wander away and blow the whistle and when she so much as looks at you tell her good girl and let her see you have a treat and she gets it when she comes. You coud do it without the whistle too but for dogs that are distrated and blow you off when they are out sniffing around the whistle gets their attention and the association of whistle yummy snack gets them to you. Do not ever chase her if she runs from you instead turn and run from her as dogs will run if you chase them but they also love to chase you so turn the game of chase in your favor. One of my dogs is a sight hound and if he is off running it is difficult to get him to listen as he is 100% focused on the run but a whistle breaks through that. If he is just wandering around he responds to come but full run it takes a whistle.oNce they get good at coming you can start phasing out the treats but every now and then do give a treat for coming as it keeps them guessing and keeps them coming in hope that this is the one time there will be a treat.

You have some great name suggestions and to be honest my dogs do have several names they respond too they have their real names but also a few pet names like Chaos responds to "little monkey" " "aos" and even "K" and Dazzle responds to "Hound dog" and "D" but both know when I use their full name I do mean business. As kid one of the dogs was named Pepper but he went by Duck or even Duckless so your kids will probably have their own pet names for the dog too.

Excellent advice.
I do use a certain whistle to call her. Just with my mouth but 'High-low-High'.

You guy's are a HOOT. Whoever said, 'Is this important?' lol.
EVERY BREATH I TAKE IS IMPORTANT.
I have health issues, so no...guess this is not THE most important thing right now.
But this dog makes me happy, and more importantly, it makes my kid's happy...
(edit, because I was getting off track and mean)

And having a 'beast' next to you to lick your hand and show love? It means something. it's important.
(Sorry, I'm sick. And I just want this dog to have a good name. To trust us.)
I just want to find a name. And, as usual, you all have been more then helpful.
Seriously, thanks. This forum is something else, really special.
PEOPLE...interacting with each other is special. Never take that for granted.

I have options now. I'm still stuck on Caya, but the family will read this thread.
All the good suggestions, and there are many,....and decide. It's never too late...

God bless, thank you.

P.S. Some confusion on the age, papers say she's 3 months old, but DOB, on same papers, indicates 8.
so, I'm thinking 8 months old, looks pretty big for 3? Right?...sorry for not addressing that earlier...

Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,703,066 times
she is a doll. I have a foster dog who came with an odd name, he was in another foster home before mine and they named him. But he does this crazy spinning ritual before he goes #2. He seriously spins like a top for a good 20 seconds; wish I had a video camera. Been thinking about changing his name to Zebco.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
No way in heck is that dog 3 months old! Must have been a typo.

Oh, and btw, since when does every thread have to be about weighty issues??

Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,911 times
How about Sketcher, since we didn't see a photo, we saw a sketch first.

Or Pearl, Pearly Girl.... she has some pearly white teeth. Good looking canine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs