Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

Btw, I would NEVER deal with a breeder that didn't interview me, demand references, and have me sign a contract attesting to the fact that I would RETURN THE DOG TO THEM and never surrender to a shelter. The one we got our smooth collie from demanded that we alert her before we bred the dog. We spayed her.

Being an honest, decent, responsible human being who completely ADORES my dogs like family, a surrender (to anyone ever) is unthinkable anyway. I have friends who would put their dog down if the vet bill got too high. I knew someone who gave their dog away because they got wood floors. These acts are so unspeakably grotesque to me...I can't wrap my head around it.

If everyone felt the same way about their animals, there would be no shelter problem. It's not about not breeding any more dogs. It's about human beings who can't even treat their own children properly, let alone pets they treat as disposable.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM

566 posts, read 1,107,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
At the local shelter, I went to visit a couple cats I found wandering around our neighborhood (the owners moved and left her). There were many designer pups: yorkies, sheetzus, poms, along with the pitbull mixes -which were PLENTIFUL- and sad to see (most were barely three years old). All owner rendered. Sudden owner allergies was the reason given most.

There were MANY, MANY dogs in the cages that were healing from getting fixed - most owners render their pets w/o getting them fixed.

Something must be done. It is out of control. Until the shelters can AFFORD to care for these throw away pets --- NO MORE BREEDING. NO MORE. Whether you love the breed or not - NO MORE. Until these shelters are caring for strays or lost pets NOT PETS PEOPLE THROW AWAY (damnit). For it is known they go out to their local petland store and buy ANOTHER puppy that will grow up - pee on a rug and find themselves in a shelter.

STOP ALL BREEDING in order to keep up with the mistakes from irresponsible owners that are in shelters now.

Just my opinion. But I volunteer at our shelter. I have two dogs no one wanted after awhile and found themselves in cages. They took a little longer to train...and a bred yorkie that replaced a yorkie killed by a neighbor's "rescued" greyhound. (Had there been a ban, I would have adopted another throwaway too)

I was a yorkie rescue/foster too. The nightmares were unreal with over breeding.

It must stop for awhile. There are just too many dogs.

Forgot to add that I agree with Happy in Wyoming. At least for OUR shelter it is.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
Quote:
It's their way of showing "who's boss" Alpha. Dominance. Anxiety. Boredom.

Needs training maybe.
No, I'm not talking about humping. I'm talking about a sex act with an unspayed dog in heat belonging to our former neighbor. I know the difference. They were "stuck".

Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Btw, I would NEVER deal with a breeder that didn't interview me, demand references, and have me sign a contract attesting to the fact that I would RETURN THE DOG TO THEM and never surrender to a shelter. The one we got our smooth collie from demanded that we alert her before we bred the dog. We spayed her.

Being an honest, decent, responsible human being who completely ADORES my dogs like family, a surrender (to anyone ever) is unthinkable anyway. I have friends who would put their dog down if the vet bill got too high. I knew someone who gave their dog away because they got wood floors. These acts are so unspeakably grotesque to me...I can't wrap my head around it.

If everyone felt the same way about their animals, there would be no shelter problem. It's not about not breeding any more dogs. It's about human beings who can't even treat their own children properly, let alone pets they treat as disposable.
Here here!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,175,499 times
The DRAMA.

Sorry, We will continue to breed PUREBRED dogs.
To ensure the breed gets stronger and can be enjoyed for generations to come.

Designer dogs =stupid people who are ruining so many breeds

To many dogs?
The problem is not with the animals it's with people.

Breeders who are responsible are the ones that do so for the love of the breed, not hey fluffy looks fat,
put her on a diet,
she still looks fat.
hey, she is having puppies .
I guess we we shouldn't let her run loose at night.
we can't keep her and all their pups, lets dump them at the shelter.

Responsible breeders do not bring in a litter of pups.

So lets explore this no breeding ban.
Who is going to stop breeding their dogs and cats?
Responsible breeders/people.
While the very same people who are not responsible will keep on having liter after liter.
so what will it accomplish?
It will be a determent to purebred dogs and cats
and the shelters will still be full.

Wake up, blaming reputable breeders for peoples short comings is just stupid.

When folks stop surrendering their unwanted children for adoption then you might be able to educated the masses about being responsible with their animals.

Quote:
At the local shelter, I went to visit a couple cats I found wandering around our neighborhood (the owners moved and left her). There were many designer pups: yorkies, sheetzus, poms, along with the pitbull mixes -which were PLENTIFUL- and sad to see (most were barely three years old). All owner rendered. Sudden owner allergies was the reason given most.

There were MANY, MANY dogs in the cages that were healing from getting fixed - most owners render their pets w/o getting them fixed.

Something must be done. It is out of control. Until the shelters can AFFORD to care for these throw away pets --- NO MORE BREEDING. NO MORE. Whether you love the breed or not - NO MORE. Until these shelters are caring for strays or lost pets NOT PETS PEOPLE THROW AWAY (damnit). For it is known they go out to their local petland store and buy ANOTHER puppy that will grow up - pee on a rug and find themselves in a shelter.

STOP ALL BREEDING in order to keep up with the mistakes from irresponsible owners that are in shelters now.

Just my opinion. But I volunteer at our shelter. I have two dogs no one wanted after awhile and found themselves in cages. They took a little longer to train...and a bred yorkie that replaced a yorkie killed by a neighbor's "rescued" greyhound. (Had there been a ban, I would have adopted another throwaway too)

I was a yorkie rescue/foster too. The nightmares were unreal with over breeding.

It must stop for awhile. There are just too many dogs.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,481,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post

What I like about getting a dog from a rescue, IF it doesn't work out for the family, a reputable rescue will take the dog back. Not sure how many breeders will do that but I'm guessing it's a very very small minority.
Just wanted to clarify on the above point that I made earlier. I was referring to a breeder/rescue group taking a dog back AT ANY POINT during the dog's lifetime. Of course many breeders would take a puppy back within a reasonable period of time but how many will take back a 5,6,7 year old dog?

Just take a look on Craigslist and you'll find dozens of posts from people trying to rehome their purebred dogs, some for good reasons (owner died, etc). and others for weak reasons.

Rescues are in the business of rehoming dogs and reputable ones will take a dog back at any point. Breeders are in the breeding business and thus few are likely to take back a dog after a certain period of time has passed.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,175,499 times
^^^If you wish to adopt a older dog we have them to.
When you get your pup or dog from us it is a life long commitment by us and hopefully you too.
You see we have older dogs from folks who just don't want it any longer and from folks who have passed a away.
Some times you will have folks who want a older dog and adopt them but a lot of the time they will just grow old in a kennel, (a shelter would kill them as they have been there to long) (shelters are bad places).

It seams like some folks have no idea what being a breeder is all about or what we do.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Just wanted to clarify on the above point that I made earlier. I was referring to a breeder/rescue group taking a dog back AT ANY POINT during the dog's lifetime. Of course many breeders would take a puppy back within a reasonable period of time but how many will take back a 5,6,7 year old dog?

Just take a look on Craigslist and you'll find dozens of posts from people trying to rehome their purebred dogs, some for good reasons (owner died, etc). and others for weak reasons.

Rescues are in the business of rehoming dogs and reputable ones will take a dog back at any point. Breeders are in the breeding business and thus few are likely to take back a dog after a certain period of time has passed.
Again like a REPUTABLE rescue, REPUTABLE breeders DO take their dogs back regardless of ANY age or condition. Like rescues not all breeders are equal.

I don't know about your area but in mine I see the same BS excuses that most dogs in up in shelters in the first place. New baby, don't have time, don't want the dog, new hours, allergies, all of a sudden after YEARS of keeping your companion it doesn't work out???? This throw away society is sick.

BYB's, millers, and pet stores are in a business for profit. REPUTABLE breeders are in the "business" of IMPROVEMENT.

I am just simply amazed how people can differentiate between a REPUTABLE/RESPONSIBLE rescues or pet owners. Yet completely place ALL breeders as scum of the earth. Logic at its finest

Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,278,550 times
I think the difference is people hear "breeder" and don't differentiate between the truly honorable and reputable such as snofarmer, who do what they do to preserve the best of the best, and the back yard breeder on the Walmart parking lot on Saturday morning. A COE breeder will ALWAYS agree to take that dog back, regardless of the circumstances. It is part of the Code of Ethics.

There is a difference. One is for love of the breed - the other type breeder is for a myriad of reasons, but usually not the right ones.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 PM

482 posts, read 875,308 times
Exactly. I would like to reiterate my last post: it's not the breeding of puppies, it's who is doing it. To say I must adopt a dog from a shelter is ridiculous. It's akin to the idea that gun control stops murders. I don't know why it's hard to grasp. The problems are unrelated. The issue is unethical breeders. Like unethical Doctors and unethical politicans, people and animals die when unethical people are in power. Don't lump everyone together, just because you don't like the outcome. We are all dog lovers, not one of us wants to see an animal in a shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs