Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which breads are your favorites?
American Eskimo Dogs 1 2.56%
Labradors 8 20.51%
Golden Retrievers 7 17.95%
Pitbulls 4 10.26%
Huskies 3 7.69%
Beagles 3 7.69%
Poodles 7 17.95%
Boxers 2 5.13%
Doxin Dogs 2 5.13%
Boston Terrier 4 10.26%
German Shepherds 8 20.51%
Australian Shepherds 2 5.13%
Maltse 0 0%
Cocker Spaniels 2 5.13%
Mutts 6 15.38%
Chihuahuas 3 7.69%
Collies 4 10.26%
Greyhounds 1 2.56%
Great Danes 2 5.13%
Chesapeake Bay Retriever 1 2.56%
Dalmatians 2 5.13%
Bulldogs 2 5.13%
Newfoundlands 0 0%
Saint Bernards 0 0%
Shih Tzus 3 7.69%
Maltese 2 5.13%
Rat Terriers 3 7.69%
Springer Spaniels 2 5.13%
Blue Heelers 2 5.13%
Aussies 2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,469,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My Catahoula Leopard Hound is the dog I have been waiting for all my life. He is an ornery little piece of work and a powder keg of energy, but he is SO much fun and so damn sweet. Not to mention terrifyingly intelligent.

He gets along well with kids, adults and other dogs and has excellent recall when he is off leash. He's protective of his home, but easygoing and social when he is outside his territory. He destroys his toys with glee, but hasn't laid a tooth on anything of mine since he was a pup.

And he loves to snuggle!
When you say "a little piece of work" - how large is he? I have seen some, but they are quite big. Is he still a pup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkin56 View Post
I "wintered over" many a lost bear or coon hound until the owner "magically appeared" in the spring.
Did they suddenly knock at your door? How can you tell its their dog?
Quote:
I think my next dog will be a McNab Border Collie or a Border Terrier.
Although a dog lover, I didn't know about this breed. Thank you for educating me. Also didn't see many boarder terriers around...

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-21-2015 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:37 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,398,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
When you say "a little piece of work" - how large is he? I have seen some, but they are quite big. Is he still a pup?

He's only about 55 lbs. Small for a Houla. I'd probably still call him that if he was 75 lbs though Love the little lunatic to pieces.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:52 PM

246 posts, read 279,311 times
I grew up with daschunds, mother bred and sold them. Have had german shepherd, labrador, and collie. Loved all of them and one was not better than the other they all had their own personalities.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:29 PM

155 posts, read 118,236 times
I've had dogs all my life. Worked doggie daycare for 6yrs. I love dogs. But, I learned a lot about different breeds. After working with so many of them it was interesting. Dogs I thought would be the coolest when I was young (no way).
I've had minpins for over 28yrs & an Italian Greyhound for 8 yrs. Both breeds are not for everyone. But, they are for me. Love them.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:10 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,684,987 times
I really don't have a favorite breed because I just think dogs in general are just such wonderful creatures. I never really knew unconditional love until I got my dog. I'm always attracted to retrievers and border collies, but prefer to live with small, non-shedding dogs with big eyes. My heart melts when I see a maltese, morkie, yorkie, yorkiepoo, shih tzu, and other poodle mixes.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:35 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Now, in my later years, I have to go with the Corgi. They suit my lifestyle and temperament. However, I have to say, the very best dog I ever had was a Coydog. There is a pic of him on my profile. He was a one man critter. I was the only one he would obey. He would not even eat unless I gave him the signal it was OK.

Coys aren't for everyone. I was much younger when be was my companion, and my life was much different. I wouldn't have a dog like him now. Still, he is fondly remembered.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:00 PM

19,827 posts, read 22,734,712 times
Absolutely love German Shorthaired Pointers. They are intelligent, work hard in the field, extremely loyal, non-aggressive, boundlessly energetic complete companion family dogs. I've had a lot of dogs in my life and this breed suits our family perfectly. My big boy goes with me everywhere, hunting, hiking, swimming, fishing, hardware store, tap room- he's my buddy.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 PM

807 posts, read 1,355,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Absolutely love German Shorthaired Pointers. They are intelligent, work hard in the field, extremely loyal, non-aggressive, boundlessly energetic complete companion family dogs. I've had a lot of dogs in my life and this breed suits our family perfectly. My big boy goes with me everywhere, hunting, hiking, swimming, fishing, hardware store, tap room- he's my buddy.
Love the picture. Perfect angle.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,185,806 times
My favorite is the Italian Mastiff (cane corso.) Extremely intelligent, gorgeously athletic & muscular, tough yet sensitive, protective but not aggressive unless poorly socialized. I prefer them with natural ears, though, the cropped ears can make them look devilish. They are certainly not a dog for everyone, requiring proper training and discipline, but are worth every bit of effort spent on them!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,610,676 times
Some of my favorite dog breeds are breeds that would be a bit much for my temperament, age and current lifestyle -

Newfoundlands - not only gorgeous, but one of the most gentle dogs.
Great Danes - drop-dead gorgeous, and usually very nice dogs.
Leonbergers - if I had a larger family, and a house with a good-sized fenced yard, or was 20 years younger, I would consider owning one. They are lovely dogs.
Bracco Italiano - another breed I'd like to try if I were younger, and had a big fenced yard; they are Italian scenthounds, I've only met one, but I liked him very much.

Irish Setters - I grew up with a very energetic specimen of this energetic breed. Way too much energy for me to handle now. But they are sooooo beautiful, and usually nice-natured.
English Setters - slightly less energetic than the Irish Setters, and very sweet.

Golden Retrievers - usually cheerful and quiet, and handsome dogs, too.
Labrador Retrievers - I had one I loved very much many years ago; they're a great breed, though I don't like what the show breeders have done with them in the past 15-20 years or so.

English Cocker Spaniels - I have one now. This is a usually gentle, friendly and pretty breed; that needs activity but is not particularly high-energy. Though they are food-pigs, more so than any other dog I've ever had.

French Bulldogs - a very cute looking breed, and usually pleasant in temperament. Don't know if I'd ever acquire one; since I'm unsure about owning a breed with breathing problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs