Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 PM

459 posts, read 805,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Philadelphia PA, a pit bull attacked and killed a yorkie and injured the owner. The owner of the yorkie incurred $6k in vet bills in an effort to save the small dog. The pit bull responsible is being sought.
How much longer will the public put up with these vicious attacks? If a person were to do what these pit bulls do that person would be on death row. Guns are dangerous too, but they have to be fired, pit bull dogs go off by themselves. Please contact your politicians to get a ban on these vicious pit bulls.
Don

Your fighting the wrong fight. Go after the DOG'S OWNERS. IF you do that you might see some results.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:50 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times
DH just got a call, an adult female Pit we adopted out was attacked by a Lab. The owner was walking her and the Lab grabbed her ear and head. We need to ban these Labs. What would make this dog attack a dog just walking by?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Our shelter is certainly not 80% Pits. Most of the dogs in shelters are medium-large mixes and some purebreds consisting of Heeler, Golden Retriever, Lab, Australian Shepherd, it is not filled with Pit Bulls but isn’t filled with small dogs either, even though Poms are so popular. They make it in there, but people will usually take a Pom quick because they are in high demand. I see a few Boxers from time to time. I have also seen GSD and GSD mixes where I used to live more often, like on a weekly basis, pups and adults. Pits were kind of seen there often and so were Rotts, Labs, Setters and Retrievers.
The shelter I support has unusually high amount of pits because the administrator loves pits and the neighboring counties ban them. If there is any pit caught by animal control or abandoned in the neighboring county, it will be sent to this shelter. No animal control officer wants to hurt them. The shelter staff are always ready to go to pick up a pit bull in these counties. Very sad situation that is created by unnecessary bans.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM

106 posts, read 422,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
To me, this study that was done is proof-positive that pit bulls are the most dangerous breed. Glad to help you out, Donsabi!
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)
To me this study is garbage. She is getting her data from research done by the US center for disease control done between 1982 and 2006. But they did not accurately determine breed, using many suspect sources (i.e. new paper reports from 15 years ago). Since this has come to light The CDC has revised there policy and had this to say on the subject …

"...It does not identify specific breeds that are most likely to bite or kill, and thus is not appropriate for policy-making decisions related to the topic. ...There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill."

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/biteprevention.htm

Interestingly enough one study that did accurately determine breed showed that pit bulls have very good temperaments. They found that the pit bull breeds have an average pass rate of 84.5 % (American Pit Bull Terrier 84.1 %, American Staffordshire Terrier 83.9 %, and The Staffordshire Bull Terrier 85.2 %). 2.9% higher than the average of 81.5%. Also, an interesting note breeds that lower passing rates are Blood Hound 71.9%, English Bulldog 68.8%, Welsh Corgi 76.3, Collie 79.2%, English Foxhound 66.7%, English Setter 73.7%, Neopolitain Mastiff 54.5%.

Source: http://www.atts.org/stats8.html (broken link)

Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
The shelter I support has unusually high amount of pits because the administrator loves pits and the neighboring counties ban them. If there is any pit caught by animal control or abandoned in the neighboring county, it will be sent to this shelter. No animal control officer wants to hurt them. The shelter staff are always ready to go to pick up a pit bull in these counties. Very sad situation that is created by unnecessary bans.
That's like in Ft. Lauderdale/ Broward County Florida. Because Miami/ Dade has a pit ban all of the pits get sent to neighboring counties, like Broward. I think it's awesome that they don't just put the dogs down.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
DH just got a call, an adult female Pit we adopted out was attacked by a Lab. The owner was walking her and the Lab grabbed her ear and head. We need to ban these Labs. What would make this dog attack a dog just walking by?
I agree, we definitely need to ban these vicious Labs! I have been attacked by a Lab, my brother has been attacked by a Lab, my old neighbors Lab attacked 5 people before it was put to sleep and most recently, a Lab/ Shepherd mix ran into our yard and attacked our male APBT! These Labs have got to go! You know what though? We don't have to worry about Labs anymore because they will go with all of the "pit bulls" for the bans. Any dog that fits the description of a "pit bull" will be baned and luckily Labs fit the "pit bull" description just as well as "pit bulls" do. Oh, and seeing as how people have a higher chance of getting attacked by a Lab than a "pit bull" I think it's only right for Labs to be baned as well! We own three APBTs, my best friend owns an APBT, my best friends mom owns an APBT, a good friend of mie owns three APBTs, my sister, who is scared of all dogs except pits owns an APBT, my father owns an APBT, my pregnant cousin owns an APBT and most of our other friends own "pit bulls". I have yet to personally meant a mean "pit bull", but as I said before, I have met many mean Labs.

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 12-28-2007 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-28-2007, 10:49 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
To me cost doesn't mean they get a better home anyway. Maybe the cheaper dogs are more likely to get irresponsible homes but I've seen too many pups that were $1000+ that ended up getting dumped.
Here is a little hope.

I got my first pit little over a yr ago. Free. My second came with the house I bought, underweight, covered with mange, eye cherry. They are both loved and happy, living along with a geriatric rott, a mutt, a boarder collie and 3 cats.

These bans are sad. I see them free all the time from people trying to find good homes because they are no illegal. I with I could take more in, but im at my dog limit now.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
To me, this study that was done is proof-positive that pit bulls are the most dangerous breed. Glad to help you out, Donsabi!
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)
Quite a bit of proof there. Quite through......great find Poodles.......
I think that the most wonderful, even tempered, sweet owners........are taken for a quick surprise, quite often. I hardly ever blame an owner, just in certain instances, when some horror of a story comes out.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Taken from that PDF
Quote:
Doberman: One miniature pinscher apparently joined two pit bull terriers in
attacking a child.
Now that sure is an awsome study! I can do a great study on things that apparently happen too, I think they do already, tis call the National Enquierer! That and the CDC did not do accurate recordings themselves, which they have admitted too.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I agree, we definitely need to ban these vicious Labs! I have been attacked by a Lab, my brother has been attacked by a Lab, my old neighbors Lab attacked 5 people before it was put to sleep and most recently, a Lab/ Shepherd mix ran into our yard and attacked our male APBT! These Labs have got to go! You know what though? We don't have to worry about Labs anymore because they will go with all of the "pit bulls" for the bans. Any dog that fits the description of a "pit bull" will be baned and luckily Labs fit the "pit bull" description just as well as "pit bulls" do. Oh, and seeing as how people have a higher chance of getting attacked by a Lab than a "pit bull" I think it's only right for Labs to be baned as well! We own three APBTs, my best friend owns an APBT, my best friends mom owns an APBT, a good friend of mie owns three APBTs, my sister, who is scared of all dogs except pits owns an APBT, my father owns an APBT, my pregnant cousin owns an APBT and most of our other friends own "pit bulls". I have yet to personally meant a mean "pit bull", but as I said before, I have met many mean Labs.
That is the sad thing about it. Lab and American Bulldog owners have had to fight to keep their dogs who are identified as APBTs. Then those Am Bullies they starved in Denver so they would be 60lbs or less. Just so they could kill them. Thats animal cruelty. They determine breed by a dog having a certain number of traits, which can fit a wide variety of breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs