Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times

Advertisements

right now they should ban all dog breeding, not just pit bulls, until the current inventory of dogs in shelters is reduced. it is a crime that so many animals are being put down and at the same time people are breeding dogs for profit.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
That is so true. People will believe what they want. Some will not be convince that APBTs are not vicious no more then you or I will be convince that they are. Although I find it rather laughable that there are people who have never met a Pit Bull or had any real experiences with them that condemn them and try to tell those who know them intimately all about them. Its as senseless as me telling NASA I know more about space travel then they do. They are some how an expert on the breed and know more then long time fanciers. I guess those who have been into APBTs for decades and had dozens of them must be part of some sort of freak anomaly. As they haven't been bitten or attacked yet. How lucky they are, maybe they should play the lottery, they'd surely hit the jackpot!!! In 30yrs they have amazingly survived living with Pits, these dogs haven't snapped and used their lock jaw against them.
Haha! That drives me nuts! I'm definitely not an expert on APBTs, and I don't ever claim to be, but I do know quite a bit about APBTs and I own three of them. It use to make me sooo mad when some random person would tell me to be careful because my dogs are going to kill me one day, but now I just have to laugh! My husband and I were walking Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda the other day and this Yorkie owner that lives around the corner from us asked me if I was scared of Brooklyn! lmfao! I told him to sit and I stuck my hand in his mouth, he opened his mouth really wide so that his teeth didn't touch me and he moved his tongue around until he got my hand out of his mouth! lol! Then I got down right by his face, told him what agood boy he is, let him lick me and then I looked at her and just told her no, I don't think so! lol! It's funny, my dog is supposedly this vicious man-eating monster, yet I couldn't make him bite me if I wanted to!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaro View Post
You know what I've seen this title over and over again and I normally don't chime in but I figured why not give my 2 cents!
First of all I feel bad for anyone or animal that gets hurt by another animal but I don't get this constant "attack" on the pit bull breed. My neighbor has one and she is sweet as pie. We've never had a problem with her and I've been around her with and without my dog as she is very placid. I agree with previous posters and believe it's how the dog is trained. (I believe that goes for any dog)
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right .....
I'd have to say you're right! lol! Great post! Thanks for giving your 2 cents!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Can't wait to hear more from you. That place sounds a lot like Fairfield, IA, they have over a dozen breeds with BSL and any breed over 100lbs. Shame, shame.

I've been reading so many crazy things tonight, not even bad things about APBTs, just crazy things about them. Its making my head hurt. People who claim to like them, own them, ect seem clueless and to be making up facts. Which really isn't in the breeds best interest. When people go around making stuff up even for the good in the breeds favor it isn't really good, its a lie. Its no better then Pit haters saying untrue things or media lying, its the same. It also gives people confusing and conflicting info about the breed.
Yeah, it's Fairfield, IA. They definitely have the craziest "dangerous" breed list I have seen so far! lol! I don't know if anything has changed since this list, but this is what it was last time I saw it..

1. American Pit Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
2. American Staffordshire Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
3. Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
4. Rottweiler
5.Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL), (Travelers Rest, SC) Shar Pei’s (Smithfield, UT)
6.German Shepard (Fairfield, IA)
7.Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)
8.Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)
9.Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
10.Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)
11.Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)
12.Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)
13.Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)
14.Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)
15.American Bull Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (North Little Rock, AR)
16.Akita (Ulyssas, KS)
17.Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (New Port, RI)
18.English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)
19.Tosa Inu (Aurora, CO)
20.Presa Canario (Aurora, CO)
21.Dogo Argentino (Aurora, CO)
22.Cane Corso (Aurora, CO)
23.American Bulldog (Aurora, CO / North Little Rock, AR)
24.Bull Terrier (Grandview, MO - Akron, OH)
25.American Bull Dog, (North Little Rock, AR)
26.Presa Canario (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (Lanett, AL)
27.Wolf Hybrid (Huntington WV)
28.Canary Dog ( Akron, OH)
29.Perro De Presa (Akron, OH)
30.Old Country Bull Dog (Akron, OH)

NOTE: These are breeds that are typically over 100lbs. If your dog is less than 100lbs than they are safe in Fairfield.

31.Bull Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
32.Neopolitian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
33.Tibetan Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
34.New Foundland (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
35.Anatolian Shepherd (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
36.Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
37.Great Pyrenees (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
38.Komondor (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
39.Kuvaz (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
40.St. Bernard (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
41.Tosa Inu (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
42.Dogo Argentino (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
43.Cane Corso (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
44.Fila Brasileiro (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
45.Spanish Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
46.Italian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
47.Dogue De Bordeauxs (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
48.Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
49.Akbash (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
50.Leonberger (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)

So, to everyone that wants or wanted BSL, there ya go! It's NOT just "pit bulls" and it won't ever be just "pit bulls". I don't think people realize they are playing with fire. This is already so out of hand and it will just get worse!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I own 5 pit bulls, and they are the sweetest dogs. Sure jump my fence after dark and your dog food.. but then again you would deserve to be. Walk in my front door as a guest and get a sniff, and a face lick and a wagging tail. Pitbulls are not vicious animals. So no I wont call, write my politicians, because I don't see a problem with them. Dogs are like the guns you mention.. they have to be trained, threatened, or be protecting something in order to attack. this is like saying all people of a certain color are evil because they are those people.. its raciest towards dogs... just because of their breed. you should be ashamed sir.
I couldn't agree more!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime5446_420 View Post
MONEY MONEY MONEY everytime they report a dog fighting ring peta gets MONEY Ingrid Newkirk the leader of PETA has a vendetta against staffordshire bull terriers and that is her reason to want all "pitbull like breeds" destroyed screw all of you that know nothing about the breed I will continue to fight for it.

READ WHAT NEWKIRK HAS TO SAY http://www.nokillnow.com/PETAkillPitbulls.php this is coming from a woman who does not want people to eat meat or own pets please do not donate to them
I don't even want to read that crap, I know how PETA is. I HATE PETA! It should be People AGAINST the Ethical Treatment of Animals, instead of People FOR the Ethical Treatment of Animals!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Originally Posted by Muhnay
I own 5 pit bulls, and they are the sweetest dogs. Sure jump my fence after dark and your dog food.. but then again you would deserve to be. Walk in my front door as a guest and get a sniff, and a face lick and a wagging tail. Pitbulls are not vicious animals. So no I wont call, write my politicians, because I don't see a problem with them. Dogs are like the guns you mention.. they have to be trained, threatened, or be protecting something in order to attack. this is like saying all people of a certain color are evil because they are those people.. its raciest towards dogs... just because of their breed. you should be ashamed sir.

I couldn't agree more!
I must have missed that one. So your dogs would attack someone who trespassed. You could walk in my yard, go into my house, whatever and my dogs won't harm you. Day or night, if I am home or not. Thats how APBTs generally are and were bred to be. Super human friendly even to a fault. They are a not territorial or a guardian breed. It is like racism to target a breed but then you do have dogs which fit the part?? You said your self if they came over your fence "your dog food" seems to mean they'd be attack. So while they might be atypical for the breed they are still Pits when they do bite and it would be another strike against the breed. Whether you believe it is warranted the laws/victim might not agree. In some cases defense of property is considered ok, in some cases you are sued, your dogs put to sleep and can even be criminally charged. Just as in some places you can't simply shoot someone for being on your property. Only if you were threatened, were attacked or feel that your life is in real danger. Otherwise you turn from victim to being the one in trouble. This isn't the old west where you shoot first ask questions later.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I must have missed that one. So your dogs would attack someone who trespassed. You could walk in my yard, go into my house, whatever and my dogs won't harm you. Day or night, if I am home or not. Thats how APBTs generally are and were bred to be. Super human friendly even to a fault. They are a not territorial or a guardian breed. It is like racism to target a breed but then you do have dogs which fit the part?? You said your self if they came over your fence "your dog food" seems to mean they'd be attack. So while they might be atypical for the breed they are still Pits when they do bite and it would be another strike against the breed. Whether you believe it is warranted the laws/victim might not agree. In some cases defense of property is considered ok, in some cases you are sued, your dogs put to sleep and can even be criminally charged. Just as in some places you can't simply shoot someone for being on your property. Only if you were threatened, were attacked or feel that your life is in real danger. Otherwise you turn from victim to being the one in trouble. This isn't the old west where you shoot first ask questions later.
I must have missed that part. First of all, Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda are never outside unattended, they are inside dogs (as I believe APBTs should be), so if someone came into our yard, day or night, there wouldn't even be a dog there! lol! But, if someone came into our home, day or night, unless they were really a threat to my husband and I, they would just be licked to death! A co-worker of my husband's was sent to our house, when neither of us were there, to get something out of our garage for my husband. Of course, he had permission to be there and my husband gave him a key, but our dogs didn't know that! lol! And, this was someone that none of our dogs had ever met. When he walked up to the door the dogs barked, as usual, but as soon as he opened the door and walked in, they stopped barking and starting licking! I have no doubt in my mind that our dogs would protect us if it was necessary, but if they don't see someone as an immediate threat, they love them!

OHH!! I just went back to the original post to quote all of the stuff that I do agree with, and the part about jumping the fence and being dog food, I didn't understand it the first time I read it because of the way it was worded. It does make sense now though. Anyway, I have to say, I still agree with all of this..

Quote:
I own 5 pit bulls, and they are the sweetest dogs... Walk in my front door as a guest and get a sniff, and a face lick and a wagging tail. Pitbulls are not vicious animals. So no I wont call, write my politicians, because I don't see a problem with them. Dogs are like the guns you mention.. they have to be trained, threatened, or be protecting something in order to attack. this is like saying all people of a certain color are evil because they are those people.. its raciest towards dogs... just because of their breed. you should be ashamed sir.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 PM

321 posts, read 854,160 times
I used to own a pit bull and still own a shih-tzu, and I have to be honest, I am more nervous around people with my shih-tzu than I ever was with the pittie. My Shih-tzu, Lucky, is going blind and has some other health issues and as he gets older he growls more and has snapped at me and my daughter, although he has never bitten anyone (yet). I told my daughter if it continues, or if he crossed the line and bit either one of us or anyone else, we would have a difficult decision to make. As for Midnight, the pit bull, he was too big and rambunctious for our home, so I found a good home for him with a person who had the time and was able to put in 100% effort to train him properly and now he is a well-mannered dog that is very obedient and loving. I also live in Ontario, Canada where there is a ban on pit bulls and I find it incredibly sad. People who own them have to have them spayed/neutered and muzzled at all times when they are outside. Not everyone follows those laws, but I have not heard of a pit bull attack in a long time. Unfortunately, these laws are set up to ensure that this wonderful breed of dog eventually dies out and that is so incredibly unfair. I wish their was something we could do to appeal this decision, but it is not going to change anytime soon. I have seen many pitbulls being walked and I have never been afraid to walk past them. Not once have I had a pittie lunge at me or if unmuzzled, attempt to bite either me or my dog. When I was ten years old, however, I was attacked and bitten by a Shepherd cross, but I wouldn't demand that they get banned either.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:53 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Quote:
I live in Texas.. Forget the dog.. worry about me and my gun. What your saying here is just drivel. Moderator cut: personal attack
Oh I disagree this is the old west.. Recently a man walked out his front door and shot two buglers dead, and they were not even on his property. He was not even charged. Gotta Love Texas.

I should also mention I am a former DA Police officer. Worked with dogs.. mine are trained. That is also why I said jump my fence and your dog food.. cause I would give the order to attack.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-31-2007 at 02:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs