Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And to be honest, chow chows scare me more, but fortunately for me, there are not currently a popular breed to own. I haven't seen a chow chow in person for at least a decade.
This is interesting. Do you think this has to do with a regional thing? As my dog was attacked by a chow about 5 and half yrs ago. A couple years after that a lady would always bring one across the street from me. He seemed well behaved, although he liked to look at my dogs and stare their way. She would call him and he would come and listen to her. I always worried that he'd come start a fight, luckily he didn't. A friend also PTS their chow after he attacked their son while he was playing a video game which was just about 3yrs ago I think. One person I know had a Golden Retriever x Chow got PTS also about a few years ago. It attacked their old Pit Bull (he was 12yrs or so) and then attacked the lady when she tried to step in. The dog was only about 9months old I never seen the parents. Do you also think that this that other similar breeds have kind of taken their place. Like the Akita, I have been seeing more Akitas then ever within the last 3yrs. I also notice people like the wrinkle of Shar Pei with less poof of the Chow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime5446_420 View Post
You can't say a Dog is dangerous just because it does not like other dogs I own a Bulldog AKA Pitbull he is from good lines and yes he is very dog aggressive. He is not a bad dog because of this but if someone can not control a dog that is dog aggressive I can see where some people would be scared. I myself get scared when I see any dog walking its owner or left unleashed. Unlike the people on here if a persons dog runs up on my Bulldog he is not going to greet them with kisses and I won't get between 2 dogs scrapping although I can pick my dog up if a dog lunges at me or my dog he has a right to defend himself. Bulldogs are not a breed for irresponsible owners and as for all dogs should never be outside without a proper leash.
LOL um when did all the people here say their dog is going to greet a strange dog with kisses? As an APBT owner I would think that you would know not to generalize. There are dozens of APBTs owners on here with different dogs. I believe that a dog has the right to defend themselves or their owner. It is just that some people don't see it that way when it comes to APBT, your dog can be made out to be the aggressor instead of the victim. Especially if you don't make an effort to do anything and just let the 2 dogs go because it is very likely your dog (even if smaller) could cause serious damage or possibly kill the other dog. The law is probably going to take the side of the other person instead of the Pit owner.

There are a lot of owners which don't know the truth about the breed. When they want to share a bias opinion for the breed but don't give accurate information they are really hurting the breed. Misinformation even if meant to be positive is still misinformation. I saw an "ebook" some lady wrote after her husband brought home a Pit 2yrs ago. She was scared of APBTs before he got the dog and this dog changed her mind. But I didn't even dare read it because I'm sure it so accurate overall. It will probably just be filled with why the breed is so great and not any of the cons. Some people will never accept the fact that APBTs can be dog aggressive or might fight. Just like you can't convince some that people that APBTs are not vicious, unpredictable dogs. So they will go on believing that until the day they die unless their APBT shows dog aggression. Then some will freak out and dump the dog off or have it PTS. Thinking the dog is now unpredictable. What are non APBTs owners supposed to believe when APBTs owners don't know their own breed? It isn't just the pit haters and media that works against us, its ignorant and irresponsible owners. We've got it on both ends.

Last edited by APBT_Samara; 01-04-2008 at 01:11 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Shave a chow and you'll get a shar pai. They have just about the same temperment as well.

Back in my vet tech days, we had a pair of chows who were "frequent flyers" at the animal hospital that I worked at, they came in for grooms every 6 weeks, boarded with us, etc. They knew ALL of us very well, and were very well behaved. In fact, we used to joke "please don't let them know that they are chows" because they acted more like beagles or labs or any breed other than a chow (known by anyone who works with dogs on a day to day basis).

One day I had one of the them on the grooming table, helping out the groomer with brushing out. She was behaving like her completely wonderful self, giving me kisses, etc until the kennel staff member (who she knew for MONTHS, and loved, played with, etc) walked by. She nearly toppled the table trying to get at him, barking, growling, etc. This was TOTALLY unprovoked, completely unexpected and out of character. It took us 10 minutes to get her calmed down. A few minutes later, he took her out for a walk before bath, etc with no problem. We though it was strange, but (shrug) one of those things.

About 3 months later, the other chow lunged at the groomer, broke away, then trapped and mauled the hospital cat nearly to death. This cat had been at the hospital for YEARS, and like I said, these dogs KNEW the entire staff, and both hospital cats very well. This was completely and totally unexpected. No warning, no growl, no nothing.

Someone must have let them know that they were chow chows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
This is interesting. Do you think this has to do with a regional thing? As my dog was attacked by a chow about 5 and half yrs ago. A couple years after that a lady would always bring one across the street from me. He seemed well behaved, although he liked to look at my dogs and stare their way. She would call him and he would come and listen to her. I always worried that he'd come start a fight, luckily he didn't. A friend also PTS their chow after he attacked their son while he was playing a video game which was just about 3yrs ago I think. One person I know had a Golden Retriever x Chow got PTS also about a few years ago. It attacked their old Pit Bull (he was 12yrs or so) and then attacked the lady when she tried to step in. The dog was only about 9months old I never seen the parents. Do you also think that this that other similar breeds have kind of taken their place. Like the Akita, I have been seeing more Akitas then ever within the last 3yrs. I also notice people like the wrinkle of Shar Pei with less poof of the Chow.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 10,092 times
Default banning pit bulls

The real problem with these dogs are the back yard breeders and the owners that use them as an 'alter ego' to be tough and fearless.

If the owners of these dogs were taken to court & charged with these deaths and these attacks -then perhaps this would stop. Banning the dogs does not stop the problem - eleminating every pit bull in the world - would just make these people use another dog. The poor dogs are doing what they have been taught by their owners and to make their owners happy with them. Don't put a bandaid on the issue - go to the root of the problem - the owners, and charge them with assualt with a dangerous weapon, assualt & battery & charge them with the killing these small pets and charge them with animal abuse for teaching these dogs to attack and for not being a responsible pet owner - and do more than a slap on the wrist. All dogs should be registered and microchipped so that the owners can be found and held responsible for the responible care of their dogs - including abusing and leaving dogs to run around -
-lyndadel

Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,162 times
I really dislike this type of thread. It makes the breed that I love so much look bad. It's also grouping all of the pits together when it should be all the bad owners being grouped together.

Plus, I HATE the media! You rarely hear of other breeds attacking children/adults (and they do, trust me) because the media is biast towards the APBT breed.

Most of these attacks are due to the following:

-IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERS...any dog should not be allowed to roam freely.

-FEMALES IN SEASON....there were a few cases reported where a female was in season and the male was aggressive because of this. The male attacked and killed a child/adult because of this.

-PACK MENTALITY...you are asking for trouble there when you have more than one dog running about.

-IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS...who leaves their child alone in a yard or in a home? Remember the case where the dachshund mauled an infant while the parent was in another room?

I could go on and on......

Sadly, lives are lost because of stupidity on the owner's part. And ignorance run abliss because of people only seeing the bad in the APBT breed. Even small dogs can do serious damage to children/adults if they show aggression.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:33 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
I really dislike this type of thread. It makes the breed that I love so much look bad. It's also grouping all of the pits together when it should be all the bad owners being grouped together.

Plus, I HATE the media! You rarely hear of other breeds attacking children/adults (and they do, trust me) because the media is biast towards the APBT breed.

-FEMALES IN SEASON....there were a few cases reported where a female was in season and the male was aggressive because of this. The male attacked and killed a child/adult because of this.

-PACK MENTALITY...you are asking for trouble there when you have more than one dog running about.

-IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS...who leaves their child alone in a yard or in a home? Remember the case where the dachshund mauled an infant while the parent was in another room?

Sadly, lives are lost because of stupidity on the owner's part. And ignorance run abliss because of people only seeing the bad in the APBT breed. Even small dogs can do serious damage to children/adults if they show aggression.
These threads are contributing to the problem -- feeding fear.

Why does it keep getting revived?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Pit bulls are not for the irresponsible pet owner... and they are not for the physically weak either. And if these threads can discourage someone for getting a large working dog, not properly being the dog's alpha, not getting it neutered or spayed, and not getting it obedience trained, then it's actually helped your cause. Imagine if the owners of those dreadful yappy nippy little dogs instead got a pit bull? That would be very bad. Instead of a lot of obnoxious ill-behaved little dogs running around, there would be the same number of poorly socialized big dogs with bigger bites running around instead.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

Why does it keep getting revived?
How is my thread feeding fear?

Look, I am a supporter of the breed. I've own and raised one, loved and lost one. If anything, I get sick and tired of the ignorance surrounding the breed.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
How is my thread feeding fear?

Look, I am a supporter of the breed. I've own and raised one, loved and lost one. If anything, I get sick and tired of the ignorance surrounding the breed.
I'm a supporter of the breed, as well.

In fact, I just moved away from a BSL town. (The town I left was one of the first 12 towns in the US that passed BSL legislation.)
Before I moved, I worked and succeeded at getting some of their animal ordinances changed ... at no small personal cost to me.

I thought that it was clear that I agreed with your last post.

You said, "I really hate these threads"...

I agreed with you.

I said, "I really hate these threads"

That's all I meant.

Quote:

I really dislike this type of thread.

It makes the breed that I love so much look bad. It's also grouping all of the pits together when it should be all the bad owners being grouped together.

and, btw, just for your clarification...

The thread is "Another Pit Bull Attack". You posted in the thread.
I responded to your POST.

I'm beginning to really hate this forum, too.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-15-2008 at 09:53 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM

WORLD CITIZEN,

Please accept my apology. I read your response in the wrong way.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
WORLD CITIZEN,

Please accept my apology. I read your response in the wrong way.
Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs